Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #46
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I think a good guide is, the less you have to massage your original writing software to make it format how you want (in the editor) the less you'll have to fiddle with the output to convert it into an eBook.

Certainly go for strict adherence to templates or styles - try avoid at all costs doing individual tweaks.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:59 AM   #47
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
<snip>

Hence my plugs for Scrivener and LibreOffice. They're creative tools which can feed technical conversion tools later.
Hi James, et al,

Scrivener looks to be quite interesting, and I've signed up for the Windows Beta email updates/info that the authors have set up.

LibreOffice at the moment is little more than a rebadged OpenOffice, a suite I have used since about V2 or perhaps even earlier. I am on the mailing list at present for the new UI project but may not remain too much longer. I'd like to see LO succeed and to do this it needs resources, like those IBM has poured into its own fork of OOo, Lotus Symphony.

Meanwhile, I will play with what I have - yWriter, WriteWay (new version out soon), Story Book, and Story Box.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 04:51 AM   #48
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've recently downloaded StoryBox on the recommendation of someone in this thread. I'm still learning the program, but it looks great. Seems like a less nerdy version of YWriter, which I could never get on with. StoryBox is more intuitive, at least to me, than YWriter, which always looked like some sort of maths project.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:09 AM   #49
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Another program that's good (for organizing and writing) is Liquid Story Binder XE which isn't too highly priced (about $45.00 if I recall) and they have a yahoo group if I remember correctly for some documentation and such as well. There is also FaceGen Modeller 3.4 (which has a free version and a pay) and which you can use to model potential faces for characters with. Last I knew the free version didn't come with hair and such but it does give you the ability to model heads so you get your character's face (if it's a human character) just how you want him/her to look.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #50
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Many peeps on the nano boards dislike LSB for its complexity, some have even returned it and had a refund. It seems to be a common theme with LSB. I downloaded StoryBox free, though it has a nag screen begging for money, the trial period doesn't run out. I'll pay for it when I can afford to.

I think if I was going to splash out on something like LSB, I'd wait for the PC version of Scrivener.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 AM   #51
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
If you're going to take the hike up the learning-curve for complex software you may as well get something that's worth your investment.

Of course, the trouble often is that people want the simpler software but want the features of the more complex package. Unfortunately it's not always possible to merge the two wants successfully.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 AM   #52
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I prefer simple (just like me)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #53
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
When this thread started I was using MS Word. I took the tip from jax6166 and downloaded Scrivener. I like it a lot.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #54
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Many peeps on the nano boards dislike LSB for its complexity, some have even returned it and had a refund. It seems to be a common theme with LSB. I downloaded StoryBox free, though it has a nag screen begging for money, the trial period doesn't run out. I'll pay for it when I can afford to.

I think if I was going to splash out on something like LSB, I'd wait for the PC version of Scrivener.
Speaking of which, the beta of Scrivener for Windows was released yesterday, and can be found here.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #55
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
An updated version of WriteWay Pro, [1.9] is now available free to registered owners.

It's a HUGE improvement of an already very fine program. Please check it out. This is the program I own and use for my writing.

Don

(I am not affiliated in any way with the program.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #56
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The trick with writing software is finding one designed by someone who writes like you do. Otherwise, you find yourself trying fit the square peg of your approach into the round hole the developer carved out. So it's worth trying all of them. One of them might actually be perfect for you, free or otherwise.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #57
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRM View Post
The trick with writing software is finding one designed by someone who writes like you do. Otherwise, you find yourself trying fit the square peg of your approach into the round hole the developer carved out. So it's worth trying all of them. One of them might actually be perfect for you, free or otherwise.

-David

Assuredly so.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #58
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRM View Post
The trick with writing software is finding one designed by someone who writes like you do.
Writes like I do? Why would I want software by someone how works without a plan, wanders aimlessly through their project and then quits halfway?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #59
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Writes like I do? Why would I want software by someone how works without a plan, wanders aimlessly through their project and then quits halfway?
So you could do that more efficiently! And take the solace of having special software specifically tailored to meet your personal needs!

Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #60
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post

to place the blame somewhere other than on oneself ....