Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Reading list for Holiday suggestions

Ok I am going away on Saturday and plan to do a lot of reading on my trusty 505.
But only have a small number of books ready to go...

I am currently 3 books into the wheel of time series so will take a couple of those with me.
Dr Drib uploaded and recommended some westerns to me by Max Brand and Zane Grey.(im going on a ranch holiday near Vegas)

I reckon based on usual holidays I will quite happily get through 15 to 20 books in a the 3 weeks im on holiday.

What would be great is to find some new authors i havent read or some new series.

I have already taken note of a couple of scifi books in the 'hard' category James White and Jack McDevitt.

I may also re-read some Spider Robinson Callahan books.

so Any suggestions?

I fancy a few from the following categories

Fun Scifi - Think Douglas adams - Alan dean foster
Action thriller - Lee Child style
Horror/urban fantasy - Vamps ghosts etc.

oh and never having read any what Cory Doctorow should I start with?
Cheers
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Go to the baen free library and pull it down. It fits all of the categories you listed. Of course, the content tilts towards scifi/fantasy so there will be action thrillers, but they will be scifi/fantasy action thrillers.

In regard to Max Brand and Zane Gray - its been years since I read those. Although both authors wrote westerns, they have two distinctly different styles. Max Brand wrote about western hero's. Guys that rode into town and cleaned it up. They had the fastest guns and toughest fists around. I would say that Zane Gray is more of the Harlequin Romance of westerns, but given modern standards that will give you the wrong idea. He wasn't near so explicit as we are today, but it was always about some guy and gal trying to get together. There was a lot of emotional passion. Yes, the guy was usually a hero, but there was a lot more emphasis on trying to woo the gal.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Go to the baen free library and pull it down. It fits all of the categories you listed. Of course, the content tilts towards scifi/fantasy so there will be action thrillers, but they will be scifi/fantasy action thrillers.

In regard to Max Brand and Zane Gray - its been years since I read those. Although both authors wrote westerns, they have two distinctly different styles. Max Brand wrote about western hero's. Guys that rode into town and cleaned it up. They had the fastest guns and toughest fists around. I would say that Zane Gray is more of the Harlequin Romance of westerns, but given modern standards that will give you the wrong idea. He wasn't near so explicit as we are today, but it was always about some guy and gal trying to get together. There was a lot of emotional passion. Yes, the guy was usually a hero, but there was a lot more emphasis on trying to woo the gal.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Also, if you like Lee Child, you might try both Vince Flynn and Brad Thor.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post

Fun Scifi - Think Douglas adams - Alan dean foster
Action thriller - Lee Child style
Horror/urban fantasy - Vamps ghosts etc.

oh and never having read any what Cory Doctorow should I start with?
Cheers

Simon Hayes - Hal Spacejock. Very funny.
Cory Doctorow - Little Brother. It will change the way you think about your tech kit forever.
Jim Munroe - Flyboy Action Figure Comes With Gasmask.
Boyd Morrison - The Ark
Boyd Morrison - The Palmyra Impact
Boyd Morrison - The Adamas Blueprint
Steve Jordan - Berserker
Steve Jordan - The Lens
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Also, if you like Lee Child, you might try both Vince Flynn and Brad Thor.
And Stephen Leather
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
For sf books, get onto Google Groups (USENET), go to rec.arts.sf.written and search for "Recently Read" or "Booklog" or similar phrases. You'll find a large number of opinions about a large number of books. And yes, some of the recently read lists are mine.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Thanks Jack would love to take a look at this but have to admit never used newsnet heard of it but never used. is their a good beginners guide to it anywhere?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Thanks Jack would love to take a look at this but have to admit never used newsnet heard of it but never used. is their a good beginners guide to it anywhere?
Just go to Google, click on the 'more' drop down at the top of the page, select groups, then search for "rec.arts.sf.written". Click on that, then search inside the group for any kind of keyword implying "Recently Read", "Booklog" or such-like.

You can get a lot more elaborate with USENET readers (cue religious wars on Google vs. Agent vs. Outlook vs. trn, etc.) but if all you want to do is search for a single subject, Google groups are the way to go.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:47 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sorry to be a lttle late in on this Stustaff, but it sounds to me like you might go for an ebook by my own wee publishing house called 'Earthdoom'. It's the SF disaster novel to end all SF disaster novels. A real hoot.

Co-written by old pals John Grant -- he of the many Hugos and Judge Dredd -- and the hilarious Dave Langford who is disappointed that he only has the SECOND largest collection of Hugo awards in the world.

Drop me a line to ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, of course) and I'll send it along with another fun offering from John Grant called 'The Hundredfold Problem'.

Anyone else who fancies a good e-read, just pick your titles from www.bewrite.net and send me a note. It's a pleasure to give these away to new pals at MobileRead -- and a fair swap for all the sound advice we've been so generously given recently by members of the MR community.

Very best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote