Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 06-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
For anyone interested I have created a slideshow of the guide in action during testing.

daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #17
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thank you daffy. If you don't mind, could you (or someone else) make some screenshots for us (Alt-shift-g shortcut) of various parts of the guide, so that I can use it as a introduction reference?

Hadrien, thanks for the pointer. Some testers noted that it took the Kindle quite some time to fully index the guide for search. Something to keep in mind.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Thank you daffy. If you don't mind, could you (or someone else) make some screenshots for us (Alt-shift-g shortcut) of various parts of the guide, so that I can use it as a introduction reference?
I can have some posted tomorrow unless someone else can get to it sooner.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Oh, Feedbooks has been named in our guide under attributions, btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Sure, Alex, I saw the last page where it is mentioned
i've just seen the page where it is mentioned as well.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Alex, will this do?
Attached Files
File Type: zip guidepictures.zip (121.7 KB, 568 views)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Nate. Looks good!

Is it just the screenshot or is the logo really that pixely on the Kindle?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Which leads to a question whether the Guide would be useful in other formats. How about a Guide for Sony-format books? Even if there is no direct download from the Guide to a Sony device or workstation emulator (calibre?) I can see the same value in having the catalog on your device as I do to reading it on my Kindle.
It's something definitely worth considering.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Thanks, Nate. Looks good!

Is it just the screenshot or is the logo really that pixely on the Kindle?
It is that pixelated, but it still looks good. Seriously, that's an excellent cover.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #24
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It is that pixelated, but it still looks good. Seriously, that's an excellent cover.
I remember there was a thread here discussing how to optimize images for the Kindle. Perhaps there is a hint or two that could help to reduce the pixelation somewhat.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #25
kindlekorner
kindlekorner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
As a result of the ruckus a few weeks back, Alex decided to push forward with a download guide for the Mobipocket format ebooks here on MobileRead. It needs some polishing, but this early version is very good.
Nicely done and my sincere thanks to Alex.

I have removed my version from the web.
kindlekorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #26
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I decided against including the descriptions in my guide for a fairly good reason: once we'll have dozens of thousands of books, this would make the guide way too heavy. The Kindle can choke on such files very easily due to the nature of the indexing process. I haven't added the description on the mobile website yet (I'm focusing on RSS for Mobipocket/ePub, and a similar download facility for RSS on the Kindle), but I'd rather redirect the user to a mobile page for the description (I already do this on the type field, if you select "Science Fiction" on the Feedbook's guide, you get to the mobile website)
Some Kindle users -- or users of some other network-connected readers -- may be happy with a pointer to a mobile page. Although I love the convenience of getting a book directly to my Kindle from Amazon, Feedbooks, or MobileRead, I do not want to turn the Kindle into a general Internet appliance. I will use it for downloading a book, but that's really it.

I really like having info available offline for reading. I've complimented the Feedbooks Guide for providing the "lists" which I have not been able to access directly on the web site. Each time I stumble over a list with my browser, I "favorite" it so I can access it later. But they're included in their entirety in the Kindle Guide. So when I saw that Alexander had included the book descriptions, I thought that was very good.

I often create simple text files with book information and transfer these to the Kindle so I have them with me even if I'm not connected to the Whispernet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien
Concerning the guide, I'm simply giving my advice: I've had several e-mails of people who had troubles with their Kindle (slowed down, hanged up) after adding the guide on Feedbooks. Since your file is almost twice as large, I'd rather point out this issue pretty quickly. It's a shortcoming of the Kindle itself rather than our guides, but it's a common issue that I have to deal with.
I've never had a problem opening a large book file on my Kindle. Now, I don't have the Kindle's main storage filled up with books, either. My Kindle settings show that I have 143M free in the main Kindle storage. I also have a 2G SD card inserted with 1.8G free. Perhaps the person complaining about opening the book had downloaded *lots* of books and didn't have an SD card so they were all in the main storage of the device. It's possible that there needs to be a certain "cushion" free in main storage when a book is open -- and that cushion is more when opening a big book as opposed to a smaller one. It's worth investigating.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #27
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I tested it out and it worked fine for me. It did take a while for the Kindle to index the guide -- it was slow turning pages for a while. But that seems to have disappeared now and the pages turn normally.

I did expect something to happen after you'd downloaded a book -- either take you to Home Page or give you some sort of message. But you just get a blank page that sits there, so I pressed the Home Page key and all was well.

Thanks for this, folks.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #28
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Good job
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #29
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
great feature. Downloaded with no problem, books seem to download a little slower than feedbooks. Downloaded two and they look good. Thanks!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Link to thread posted on Amazon's Discussion boards about the new guide.