Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #61
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Generally, with very few exceptions, all books are available in both formats. The issue is that Kobo does not indicate whether books are drm-free.
Thanks, that's what I also thought, until I read first post in this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217744
How will I know, now that I learned what to look for, not to buy same type of a book?
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #62
Jane Oldaker
Groupie
Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung G3 Tablet, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Google Play store still has goodreads reviews.
This might have been Kobo's decision. Not very wise, if anybody asks me - though nobody will
Gotta agree with you there. Nobody will ask me either!
Jane Oldaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #63
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
On the plus side you no longer have to worry about marking recommendations as not interested or already read and then have them re-appear, looks like the only way to get rid of them now is to buy the book.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #64
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
On the plus side you no longer have to worry about marking recommendations as not interested or already read and then have them re-appear, looks like the only way to get rid of them now is to buy the book.
I haven't that much checked new sites in US and UK store, but I guess that means Kobo still haunts you for the books you viewed...They also haunt me sending me mails - take another look, but it might me because I also get the promo codes from them
Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #65
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I've never had that work correctly on the web site, but it works on the Kobo apps. If they recommend something that I purchased elsewhere because it was cheaper, I mark it as already read on my tablet of phone and it goes away.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #66
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Generally, with very few exceptions, all books are available in both formats. The issue is that Kobo does not indicate whether books are drm-free.
I just hope this isn't a sign that Kobo plan to stop selling regular epubs altogether.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #67
jmilica
Banned

I rechecked - in the revamped US store it does show on which devices you can read book.
So from the previous thread the deduction would be
if it has listed
Quote:
Desktop / eReaders / Tablets / Kobo Vox / Kobo Arc / Android / iPhone
means it's epub
if it has listed
Quote:
eReaders / Kobo Arc / Android / iPhone / iPad
it's a kepub
or something to that effect
Old 07-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #68
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Why do you think one means it's ePub & the other kePub? Just trying to understand your reasoning as everything in your first group can read kePub's too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #69
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
I rechecked - in the revamped US store it does show on which devices you can read book.
So from the previous thread the deduction would be
if it has listed
means it's epub
if it has listed

it's a kepub
or something to that effect
I think thge key is inclusion of the generic term eReader.

eReader to me would mean ePub.

Desktop on the other hand means Kobo Desktop, ie kepub.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #70
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think thge key is inclusion of the generic term eReader.

eReader to me would mean ePub.

Desktop on the other hand means Kobo Desktop, ie kepub.
This book mentions eReader (& also did on the old site) and was found by a forum member to be kePub only.
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/Books/bushman-lives

I think when they say eReader they mean Kobo brand eReaders.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #71
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Lol.. I was just looking at the site in different browsers; Chrome and IE and seeing both the old and the new site. Just as I was attempting to document what I was seeing in each, Chrome decided to move me to the new site as well.

And yes... I see what you mean about Bushman Lives! .
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #72
jmilica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Why do you think one means it's ePub & the other kePub? Just trying to understand your reasoning as everything in your first group can read kePub's too.
My - seems wrong - reasoning was that since the OP in that thread couldn't download the book in question and since somebody told him to read it in Android kobo app that it's kepub?
Anyway, the only thing that interests me as non-owner of Kobo is what should I look for to be sure that I will be able to download epub file and open it in ADE. The way I do when I buy from Google.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #73
ladybugh
Enthusiast
ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Sage and Elipsa
I miss the Goodreads reviews in Kobo but I understand since the ownership is changed. I just have both windows open. I do miss the internal Kobo stars ranking though. I also wish that we could adjust the recommendations as it keeps showing items I have either already read or am not interested in so it is not going to change.

Does anyone know if where we can pass on our comments to Kobo?
ladybugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #74
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
I am finally able to view the new Kobo Webstore.
Here is what I have discovered so far.

The only SURE way to find out what downloads are available for a book is to save a preview(if a preview is available), then go to your library "I'm Reading" and see what it says for downloads.

I have checked out ONE book that I knew was only available as a PDF and in the "READ ON THIS" the only option was DESKTOP. It does show as PDF in "I'm Reading".

It's just too much work to search for a book, then go to the details page then save a preview (if available) and then check the library to make sure that you can download an epub.

I'm just not going to spend $8 or more and then find out I can only download a PDF version.

These days I won't even consider Kobo unless I have a coupon for 30% or more and I know the book is available as epub elsewhere.
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #75
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

In this blog post...
http://cafe.kobo.com/blog/kobo-ebook...autiful-design

They ask for folks to leave comments or to email feedback@kobo.com

Don't know if it'd do any good in getting them to make some changes or not, but might be worth a try.

Tags
kobo books, rdlecoeur