Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Google Play

I did a quick search, but was surprised to find this hadn't turned up anywhere.

So, a question. I just discovered the existence of Google Play through an online article about its price-matching war with Amazon over ebooks. Has anyone bought ebooks through it? And also, is anyone aware whether certain tools might be applied to them in order to allow them to be backed-up for personal use?
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
You can download Adobe DRM epubs from them.

The usual infection removal tools apply.

Just got Karl Pilkingtons An Idiot Abroad in there 20p deal of the day
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
Sorry, two threads down, this whole thing is explained and corrected. Don't bother reading my drivel...

I just bought a couple of their $0.25 specials and discovered that the "download" versions were samples only. The Google Play Books app provides the whole thing for offline reading on my tablet and phone, but I see no way to do the same on a PC. On a PC, you can only view the entire book in a browser.

I looked at the files on my tablet and discovered they look something like an "unzipped" epub, perhaps, but went no further. It might be possilbe to transfer the folders to a PC and do something with them, but I didn't try that.

Possibly a more normal buy would work fine, but given this problem and the availability of the same books at the same price elsewhere, I probably won't risk buying full-price books from Google.

PS: The first two "Google Play" 25 cent specials here in the states were "Fight Club" and "Kitchen Confidential". Today's isn't out yet. They seem to have a mid-morning Pacific time rollover to the new day's deals.

PPS: The special deals on music have no such limitations. I've bought both day's albums and they are normal non-DRMed mp3's that you can do with as you please.

Last edited by OakdaleMike; 03-09-2012 at 10:23 AM.
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakdaleMike View Post
I just bought a couple of their $0.25 specials and discovered that the "download" versions were samples only. The Google Play Books app provides the whole thing for offline reading on my tablet and phone, but I see no way to do the same on a PC. On a PC, you can only view the entire book in a browser.
If you check out the earlier discussion thread on Google Play, there is a workaround for the download glitch.

As already mentioned, you can download an Adobe epub to your PC.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakdaleMike View Post
PS: The first two "Google Play" 25 cent specials here in the states were "Fight Club" and "Kitchen Confidential". Today's isn't out yet. They seem to have a mid-morning Pacific time rollover to the new day's deals.
Actually those are days 2 & 3. Day one was Extremely Loud & Incredily Close.

The workaround (I assume Google's working ona fix) to getting the full book to download is posted here...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=10
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Or you can download from Amazon, which is price-matching Google.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Price matching the same content on different servers lol!
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I wonder if Google had a contest "who can come up with the dumbest new name for 'Google Market'"? And you had to be 15 or below to enter a suggestion.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #9
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I wonder if Google had a contest "who can come up with the dumbest new name for 'Google Market'"? And you had to be 15 or below to enter a suggestion.
I'm guessing you had to be 12 or below I don't consider reading as part of the definition of "play" but that's just me.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #10
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Why you would change the name from "Market" to "Play" totally evades me! "Market" said "this is a site you buy stuff from", "Play"" doesn't really say anything much. Perhaps "Google Bazaar" would have been a better choice - it gives a feeling of shopping, getting bargains, looking around at new and interesting things.
If they are only aiming at 12 year olds then I guess that's who they will get.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Google branding is a bit of a joke all round. Watching them attempt a unified approach to their properties is akin to watching someone gift wrap a puppy.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Google branding is a bit of a joke all round. Watching them attempt a unified approach to their properties is akin to watching someone gift wrap a puppy.
My guess is that internet companies like Google (in a business where change is the only thing that is constant) have the almost pathological urge to reinvent everything as often as they can. Even when something is working just fine. And they really hit one out of the ballpark this time
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I'm waiting for the lawsuit from Play.com
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
We'll aside from the name there are some things I like about it the first being there's been a few bargains so Yay to 25c books The second is I find the interface nice and clean and snappy however the negatives are a few functional issues

1. It's not immediately obvious when using the website version of google play how to download your book in epub format. If you're in the shop section you have to go into the book details and then click how to read and then scroll down to find the epub version icon. If your in the My Books section it really difficult to get to it at all.

2. The site needs a wishlist so far as I can tell it's non existant.

3. A Coming soon or pre-orders section.

Really all in all it's a nice site if the stay competitive price wise and they fix the download options then it will be all sweet
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
If you check out the earlier discussion thread on Google Play, there is a workaround for the download glitch.

As already mentioned, you can download an Adobe epub to your PC.
Workaround no longer needed. They apparently fixed it.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote