Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #31
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@teegee543: I guess it should be available as metadata somewhere in the MOBI/EXTH headers. Is there anything about that in the Wiki?

EDIT: Yep, apparently exth record 113.

It's stored in the json file as

#ASIN^TYPE

Where asin is the ASIN, and TYPE the doctype (exth 501), most of the time that'll be EBOK

(#B012345678^EBOK for example)

instead of the usual

*SHA1

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-19-2010 at 08:16 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You can look at MobiUnpack or Calibre for examples of parsing the exth records.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #33
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More or less this, after being gutted out of MobiUnpack .

Never checked how Topaz files are handled in the json db though...
Attached Files
File Type: gz json_azw_hash.py.tar.gz (1.4 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-19-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #34
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
A very nice program. I'm using windows vista and a K3. After reading through the thread, I updated from python 2.6 to 2.7 and downloaded all the rest of the libraries/programs as advised. No problem getting kindelabra to work.

Most of my collections were already created manually then revised using kindle collection manager (another nice program). Kindelabra enabled me to sort both columns alphabetically so that I could further clean up my collections.

Just a couple of thoughts.
-Does it matter where I have the kindelabra program located? I currently have it in the original folder which is in my python 2.7 folder.
-Is there an undo button? I can't tell you how many times I hit "delete" when I meant to hit "rename."
-A few DRM-d books didn't take and neither did a few samples. I just checked at the end of the collection folder on the K3 and manually updated what hadn't taken.
-Is there a way to check in kindelabra for books that aren't in a collection?
-Is there a way to incorporate this program into calibre as a plug-in since it's in python? If I'm trying to update a genre collection, I've just had both kindelabra and calibre open side-by-side.

Thanks for all your work and for sharing!
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #35
teegee543
teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I really appreciate the interest Kindelabra has had here on MobileRead. Please realize that I have a life and that this is a hobby project for me, which I really wanted to share with the community. I'll prioritize major bugfixes to the program, but will continue working on new features to make my program even better/complete. Here are some features I'd like to include in the next few versions:
- confirmation for delete collection (DONE)
- support for DRM-d books
- icons showing which books are already in a collection

possible future features:
- undo
- calibre plugin
- windows installer

@ElizabethN: it doesn't matter where you keep the program, as long as you have kindle.py in the same folder.

Last edited by teegee543; 11-22-2010 at 03:58 PM.
teegee543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #36
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Instructions

Any chance of even rudimentary instructions?
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #37
charliefx
charliefx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Nice software.

Thanks!
charliefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #38
teegee543
teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
Any chance of even rudimentary instructions?
I'll write up some documentation once I finish making the hotkey interface.

New features:
- windows installer for GTK+, let me know whether or not this works for you
- hotkeys
- add collection now highlights and scrolls to the new collection to make it easier to immediately start adding books to the new collection

Last edited by teegee543; 11-22-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:27 AM   #39
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

teegee543,

thanks for your efforts, I am really eager to try it. I am just not savvy enough to set it up. I installed I believe everything using your install.bat for win32. It is just that I do not find kindelabra.py anywhere (and I did search my drives).

Embarrassing as it is, I need a hint where to look for that file to click on (or instructions how start the app).

Thanxx, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:20 AM   #40
teegee543

Hi Mixx,

Sorry I forgot to have the installer download my program. You can get it manually by clicking here. Unzip that file and run Kindelabra.py
Old 11-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #41
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks teegee543, got it.

But now I get

Quote:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Python27\Kindelabra.py", line 14, in <module>
import gtk
File "C:\Programme\Python27\lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gtk\__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: DLL load failed: Die angegebene Prozedur wurde nicht gefunden.
Is something still missing?

Thankxx, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #42
teegee543

Hi Mixx, I'm not sure what could be causing that error, but it seems that GTK is not working for a lot of people. If you don't mind, could you try uninstalling Python and installing an older version that should work better:
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.6/python-2.6.6.msi
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binar...in32-py2.6.exe

I've pushed out Kindelabra v0.2 now. My program now supports DRM-d books.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #43
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
@teegee,

Thanks for the work you've been putting into Kindelabra. I just installed v0.2 with no issues.

First, the tooltips are much appreciated.

However, the problem with DRM'd/Amazon purchased books in a collection still appears. Only one of my collections is made up exclusively of 7 DRM'd books. Kindelabra correctly shows the collection name but all 7 of the books are the same but random book not in that collection.

It appears the .json backup files are stored on the Kindle rather than on the PC. Is that correct? If so, you may want to consider saving that (by default) to the PC so that collections can be easily reproduced.

As I pointed out before, you may also want to consider a "write and eject Kindle" button, with a subsequent pop-up message reminding the user to do a Kindle restart.

Keep up the great work!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #44
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@teegee543:

Yep, same symptoms as jlmwrite with DRM'd books.

Also, it dies horribly on old PRC files that don't have exth records.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./Kindelabra.py", line 391, in refresh
    self.kindle.init_data()
  File "/home/niluje/Kindle/Kindelabra/kindle.py", line 98, in init_data
    self.load_folder(folder)
  File "/home/niluje/Kindle/Kindelabra/kindle.py", line 110, in load_folder
    book = Ebook(fullpath)
  File "/home/niluje/Kindle/Kindelabra/kindle.py", line 78, in __init__
    self.meta = ebook.Mobi(path)
  File "/home/niluje/Kindle/Kindelabra/ebook.py", line 35, in __init__
    len_exth, = struct.unpack_from('>L', header, len_mobi+4)
struct.error: unpack_from requires a buffer of at least 4 bytes
(Specifically, the complete MobiPocket version available here).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-26-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #45
teegee543

@jlmwrite and @NiLuJe: i'll look into what's going on with the DRM'd/Amazon books. if you have more information you can give me that would be helpful

The latest version should ignore reading metadata for PRC files, same as calibre

Tags
collections, kindle, manage