Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
NICE WORK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Honestly, if you can't view the source code and understand what it's doing then you should just stay away.
Yea, like that's going to happen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #32
KCB
KCB began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1 and 2
I wanna try this but too scared.. anyone else try it and wanna give feedback??
KCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #33
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Well, please don't install binary update like this. You make the future firmware update scenario much more ugly because Testers will not know that they have to write update scenarios introduced by modifying system files.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #34
KCB
KCB began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1 and 2
gotcha! I am not that brave anyway.
KCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #35
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

meanwhile, just make sure that if you want custom screensaver for your Kindle 2, email kindle2-feedback [at] amazon.com to strongly voice your opinion. Amazon is a customer-focused company.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #36
pilotdrh2003
Pilot & Reader
pilotdrh2003 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/3
Bin File Disappears

Quote:
Oh yeah, for those that are impatient, lack caution, or are just interested in the code, I'm attaching my K2 screen saver hack. It works for me, but I can't guarantee it won't DESTROY YOUR KINDLE 2.

Honestly, if you can't view the source code and understand what it's doing then you should just stay away.

And if you're still around after those warnings:
Well I figured I'd give this a try,copied the bin file to the root of my Kindle. Ejected the Kindle. Update grayed out...hmmmm. Reconnected to my computer. Bin file is gone. I did this several times. Tried turning K2 off, putting it to sleep, etc. The bin file always disappeared. If I copied it to the system folder it doesn't disappear.
pilotdrh2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:16 AM   #37
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Quote:
Oh yeah, for those that are impatient, lack caution, or are just interested in the code, I'm attaching my K2 screen saver hack. It works for me, but I can't guarantee it won't DESTROY YOUR KINDLE 2.
This works WONDERFULLY so far. Thank you so much!
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:23 AM   #38
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
I have felt a bit like the Kindle 1 screensavers were friends. Seeing them meant I was about to spend time with some good friends... my books. In my home, I am surrounded by family photos. Now, you got me thinking about changing my screensaver to family shots. hmmmm may well be worth looking into. Thanks, I think.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:08 AM   #39
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdrh2003 View Post
Well I figured I'd give this a try,copied the bin file to the root of my Kindle. Ejected the Kindle. Update grayed out...hmmmm. Reconnected to my computer. Bin file is gone. I did this several times. Tried turning K2 off, putting it to sleep, etc. The bin file always disappeared. If I copied it to the system folder it doesn't disappear.
Yeah, I've learned more since then. :-)

The files I uploaded will work for version 2.0, but not if you're already at 2.0.1, I'm trying to experiment with the headers to allow for any initial version, so I don't have to recode each one with the current version number -- like was possible on the K1.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #40
kilikini
Enthusiast
kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, KFire, iPad, iPhone
Unfortunately, I manually updated to 2.0.1 already
I would've much rather had the ability to change screensavers.

In any case, great work, clarknova!
kilikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #41
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

===========================================
EDIT: This version is old, see later posts for newer version.
===========================================

Well, I've fixed it to allow it to work for all versions. I also found out that if you installed the first one, then you were at version 2.0, and it will interfere with the 2.0.1 update. This is easily remedied: use the new "Update_kindle2_restore_default_screen_savers. bin" (attached) to remove the mod, update to version 2.0.1 (either manually or by waiting) and then (if you want) apply the new "Update_kindle2_user_screen_savers.bin"

This does seem like a bummer though, that you might have to uninstall and re-install every time a new K2 update comes out.

I'm still searching the java GUI for signs that there's an easier way.

Code:
==============================================================================
WARNING: Use at your own risk!  This is an UNOFFICIAL update to allow custom
Kindle2 Screen Savers.  This file is NOT from Amazon.com and any harm it
causes your Kindle2 will be your own fault.
==============================================================================

Instructions for use:
---------------------
1) Plug your Kindle2 into your computer.
2) Copy "Update_kindle2_user_screen_savers.bin" to the root of your Kindle2.
3) Change directories to the "system" folder.
4) Create a new folder called "screen_saver"
5) Place any 600x800 PNG image files into the system\screen_saver folder that
   you just created.
6) Unplug your Kindle2
7) Press the "Menu" button on your Kindle2 and select "Settings."
8) At the Settings page press "Menu" again and select "Update Your Kindle."
9) When the "update" is done your Kindle2 will reboot and you are done.

To go back to the default Kindle2 screen savers:
------------------------------------------------
1) Plug your Kindle2 into your computer.
2) Copy "Update_kindle2_restore_default_screen_savers.bin" to the root of your
   Kindle2.
3) Unplug your Kindle2
4) Press the "Menu" button on your Kindle2 and select "Settings."
5) At the Settings page press "Menu" again and select "Update Your Kindle."
6) When the "update" is done your Kindle2 will reboot and you are done.

More Information:
-----------------
You can change images at any time, but you must reset your kindle for them to
appear (press and hold the slider for 15 seconds).  If there are no images 
then a blank screen will be shown when you go into sleep mode.

After further research, it appears JPEG files work as well as PNG, and they
do not have to be 600x800.

After the update, the update bin will be gone, but there will be two new
files in the root of your kindle: "framework.mario.conf.orig" and
"framework.mario.conf.new"  You can delete these if you want, they are
simply copies of the config file (before and after) the screen saver
directory was changed in it.

The "src.0.2.tar.gz" has the code (modified from Igor Skochinsky's code) to
generate the update bins yourself.  You can see that all the update really
does is a single sed(1) command to change the path of the SCREEN_SAVER_DIR
variable.

Any official kindle2 updates that patch the framework.mario.conf file will
fail if this is installed (ie. 2.0 to 2.0.1).  Use the remove procedure,
to restore the default screen savers, then apply the official update, and
all will be well.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle2_screen_saver_hack-0.2.zip (5.6 KB, 1128 views)

Last edited by clarknova; 03-05-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #42
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Just to be clear, if you have 2.0, this will also update you to 2.0.1?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #43
pilotdrh2003
Pilot & Reader

Smile Does not include Amazon Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Just to be clear, if you have 2.0, this will also
update you to 2.0.1?
This does not include the Amazon update. If your version is 2.0.1 then you install this. If not then I would either wait for K2 to update or do a manual update. http://www.amazon.com/UNOFFICIAL-Man...sin=B00154JDAI
Old 03-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #44
clarknova
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Just to be clear, if you have 2.0, this will also update you to 2.0.1?
Not at all. In fact this will prevent you from updating to 2.0.1.

If you're at 2.0 and have already installed this mod, and would like to update to 2.0.1, then follow the removal procedure to revert to the unmodified config. At this point you can go and manually download and install the 2.0.1 update (or wait for it to reach you via whispernet). Once you're at 2.0.1 you can reinstall the mod if you want to (though, again, you will likely have to remove it to install the next official update from Amazon).

-----

Again, applying this screen saver "update" is changing your brand new kindle2 in ways that it was not intended by the developers, and is dangerous.

I happen to enjoy photos of my wife & kids on my kindle2 and I understand the changes I'm making and how to undo them. I also find the changes quite minor and their potential for disaster quite low. That said, I make these warning statements because I refuse to feel bad if someone bricks their kindle2 because they misread my instructions. (Ok, I'd still feel bad.)
Old 03-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #45
pilotdrh2003
Pilot & Reader

Change Screen Saver Update

Quote:
Well, I've fixed it to allow it to work for all versions. I also found out that if you installed the first one, then you were at version 2.0, and it will interfere with the 2.0.1 update. This is easily remedied: use the new "Update_kindle2_restore_default_screen_savers. bin" (attached) to remove the mod, update to version 2.0.1 (either manually or by waiting) and then (if you want) apply the new "Update_kindle2_user_screen_savers.bin"

This does seem like a bummer though, that you might have to uninstall and re-install every time a new K2 update comes out.

I'm still searching the java GUI for signs that there's an easier way.
Tks Dave, works great now. Never give up, never surrender.