Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #766
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
BR, I'd say you are right. The RL plugin shows the books in a list by marking them and then showing the marked books. The marks stay on the books until something removes them. It's a little untidy, but I haven't seen that it cause any problems. It's been like that for as long as the plugin existed. I'd say it will stay like that until someone demonstrates it breaks something, or they fix the code themselves.
It looks like RL establishes the Marks (pins) when an RL is listed, which makes sense, because you can have multiple RLs. They're easily cleared with Mark books->Clear marked books.

Maybe the Marks (pins) could be cleared when the RL search. e.g. marked:reading_list_books2Edit, is 'dismissed'; can a plugin get a callback from the Clear current search event?

FD is different, it establishes the Marks (pins) for exempted books when a library is opened. And it uses the the "marked" column dynamically to create the duplicate book groups. When Kovid implemented Mark books as a User feature, I looked at FD to see if I could move the marking of exemptions from library open to some other event, but I discovered FD uses the "marked" column for various (nefarious ) purposes, so I gave it a miss.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #767
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
It looks like RL establishes the Marks (pins) when an RL is listed, which makes sense, because you can have multiple RLs. They're easily cleared with Mark books->Clear marked books.

Maybe the Marks (pins) could be cleared when the RL search. e.g. marked:reading_list_books2Edit, is 'dismissed'; can a plugin get a callback from the Clear current search event?
I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to do this. And it is such a harmless side-affect, and the work around is simple enough that I don't see any point in doing anything about it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #768
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's the same issue as the Count Pages plugin not updating the book details after a count was done/updated. Nothing was causing an error. It was just a slight annoyance. Same thing here.
Except that if anyone did the count and it wasn't updated, then they would think something was wrong and possibly redo the count before realising what had happened. And I fixed it when I was in that area of the code doing something else.

For the RL, not unmarking the books is a small visual problem that doesn't harm anything. And if there is a bug, it is that when moving away from the RL view, the marks aren't cleared, not that they aren't cleared when the books are removed from the list. If it really bugs you, I suggest that you do the fix yourself.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:07 AM   #769
luckycharms
Connoisseur
luckycharms began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-650, iPad 1, iPhone 4S
Hi all,

I've been using reading list for years now, and it addresses a really important functionality. For that, I'm very grateful. On the other hand, I've had a consistent problem with the plugin that seriously reduces its utility. That problem is that my default list keeps getting emptied out every so often. I'll have a number of books added to the default list that are persistent for months or more... and then, every now and again... poof! 0 books in my default reading list.

Am I the only one to encounter this issue? Any suggestions on how to debug?

thanks,
allie

Win 10 x64
Calibre 3.12.0
Readling List 1.6.6
luckycharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #770
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I'm starting to use keybindings for readinglist actions now..

But I wish it had a "toggle" action so I didn't have to bind adding to list and removing from list to separate keys.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #771
panazol
panazol began at the beginning.

Hello, i'm recent user of reading list plugin.
So far sounds very usefull to me :-))

I'm currently searching a way to manage series : i don't want to include all books within a serie in reading list as it would reduce a lot interest of reading list (by getting to much books in the list).
So i only keep in the list the next serie issue to be read.
My question is : is there a way, when finishing a serie's book, to simply replace it (automatically ?) by the next one in the serie ?

Didn't saw that in the previous posts. Prehaps missed something ...

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited by panazol; 12-22-2017 at 03:28 PM.
panazol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #772
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to do this. And it is such a harmless side-affect, and the work around is simple enough that I don't see any point in doing anything about it.
@davidfor - agreed - it's never bothered me much. If it were fixable, then fixing the Find Duplicates 'persistent' marks ought to take precedence over this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharms View Post
Hi all,

I've been using reading list for years now, and it addresses a really important functionality. For that, I'm very grateful. On the other hand, I've had a consistent problem with the plugin that seriously reduces its utility. That problem is that my default list keeps getting emptied out every so often. I'll have a number of books added to the default list that are persistent for months or more... and then, every now and again... poof! 0 books in my default reading list.

Am I the only one to encounter this issue? Any suggestions on how to debug?

thanks,
allie

Win 10 x64
Calibre 3.12.0
Readling List 1.6.6
@allie - I use RL extensively, but nothing like this has ever happened to me. However, I don't make any use of the 'Default' RL, I always use named RLs explicitly. Try using a named RL - e.g. MyDefault - expicitly.

Is it possible that you cleared Default list inadvertently, perhaps via a keyboard shortcut? Or, have you Set the Default RL to a named RL and you've cleared that. I've never used the Set Default feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I'm starting to use keybindings for readinglist actions now..

But I wish it had a "toggle" action so I didn't have to bind adding to list and removing from list to separate keys.
@compurandom - because I have multiple libraries I soon gave up on using kb shortcuts for this PI. The plugin operates on a per library basis, where as kb shortcuts are global. My solution is to have RL in the book list context menus and then drive it with the 'Menu' and arrow keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panazol View Post
Hello, i'm recent user of reading list plugin.
So far sounds very usefull to me :-))

I'm currently earching a way to manage series : i don't want to include all books within a serie in reading list as it would reduce a lot interest of reading list (by getting to much books in the list).
So i only keep in the list the next serie issue to be read.
My question is : is there a way, when finishing a serie's book, to simply replace it (automatically ?) by the next one in the serie ?

Didn't saw that in the previous posts. Prehaps missed something ...
@panazol - I don't think you missed anything. AFAIK the PI is not aware of series in the way you describe.

The original PI developer has 'retired', so the chances of getting someone to take up your suggestion are probably slim. If you have the skills you could try doing it yourself.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-22-2017 at 03:55 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:51 AM   #773
panazol

Thanks for your answer BetterRed. Unfortunately no skill for me to develop new functions ...
wish everyone a merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:54 AM   #774
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@panazol: If I understand your request, I don't really think this is a function that fits the Reading List plugin directly. It feels like you need some sort of process automation. Or maybe a "Mark as read" plugin. That would be something where you can define a few actions to be done when a book is marked as read. If I was doing this*, it would be something that when I finished a book, it displayed a dialog where I could set the rating, the date finished and maybe add a review or other comments. Then, it would be configured to update these metadata field, move the book from the "currently reading" list to the "finished" list, add the next in series book to the "to read" list, publish the status update to sites such as Goodreads, facebook or whatever.

Some of these actions are already around. For example, my Kobo Utilities plugin can fetch the reading status of the books from the Kobo device and store them in the calibre library. And then it can trigger the Goodreads Sync plugin to update the reading status (mainly the percent read) on Goodreads. And the Goodreads Sync plugin can move the book to the "read" shelf on Goodreads when the book is finished.

There are other plugins that trigger function in other plugins, including adding books to reading lists. But, none that do what I think you want.

* To everyone who thinks this is a good idea, NO I am not planning to create this plugin. But, I am wondering why I haven't automated the Reading List moves in either the Kobo Utilities or the Goodreads Sync plugins. The moves are easy, but getting the configuration right won't be. But, I have to do the Annotations plugin updates first.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #775
panazol

Hello Davidfor, you got it.
Mechanism you describe is something near i was thinking about.
If not already exists prehaps one time it would ... just need skills, time and sufficient wish from someone at the right place ... I'm an optimistic ...
I'm discovering everyday power of calibre platform and feal happy from dynamic community and improvements.
Thanks for your feedbacks.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:29 AM   #776
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I've tried creating a RL by search but I don't understand how to tell it which list-column to update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skærmbillede 2018-03-15 07.25.48.png
Views:	272
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	162814  
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:09 AM   #777
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
I've tried creating a RL by search but I don't understand how to tell it which list-column to update.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.

That list should show you all the same books as if you had typed "M/M" into the search bar. But, based on your question earlier, you might want to use something like '#mycustomcolumn:="M/M"'. The name you use is whatever you put into the "Lookup name" when you created the column.

Is that what you want?
Old 03-15-2018, 06:23 AM   #778
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

What I want is an automated job that when I add M/M in a custom column then it would be end up on a specific reading list.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:35 AM   #779
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
What I want is an automated job that when I add M/M in a custom column then it would be end up on a specific reading list.
And what I suggested will do that. When you display the list, the search entered is run and only the books matching the search are displayed. What do you want other than that?
Old 03-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #780
Tanjamuse
Wizard

When I choose auto populated from search, I can't choose which column I want to add value in.

Also, I don't want to add the list to any device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skærmbillede 2018-03-15 11.42.40.png
Views:	258
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	162815