Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Cybook now or Readius later?

First off I live in the US.

my question is should I buy a cybook now ?

Or wait who knows how long for the readius ?

They cybook would cover almost everything id want in a ereader except for the flexible screen.

I REALLY like the compact nature of the Readius and the flex screen which would alieve MUCH of my conserns over delicate screens etc.

so .. if it was going to be your first ereader would you get the cybook now? or wait for the readius?

I understand that the readius will be avilable only over in europe, and wont be released until sept? oct?

Thank you
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I would suggest you buy an eBookwise 1150 now and a Readius later. this way you can start reading and still wait for your dream.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Readius is interesting hardware, but we have as yet no idea what content will be available for it. Or rather, which DRM-ridden format it will use and how difficult it will be to get your existing DRM-ed ebooks on the device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:00 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Readius only has a QVGA screen; that's really rather poor resolution for a 5" screen. I don't personally think it's going to be that great to read on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:05 AM   #5
lordmax
Enthusiast
lordmax began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Opus, cybook gen10, Palm LifeDrive, NetBookVaio, Kindle, Tolino
CyBook forever

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Readius only has a QVGA screen; that's really rather poor resolution for a 5" screen. I don't personally think it's going to be that great to read on.
I must go with HarryT.
The Readius is too much "maybe" for now, CyBook is a really good product now.

Choose the CyBook now.
In a couple of years they're be so many alternatives that now seem scifi. ^___^
lordmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
so .. if it was going to be your first ereader would you get the cybook now? or wait for the readius?
I would get the Sony now, and wait for the Astak Mentor!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Especially Sony in RED!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Buy whatever now. I have a Cybook and it is fine. I'm sure any ebook reader is better than no ebook reader...
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbbb View Post
Buy whatever now. I have a Cybook and it is fine. I'm sure any ebook reader is better than no ebook reader...
I agree with that feeling 100% !

ROFL .. its why im tring to decide on a ebook now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmm hadnt considered / didnt know that would be a issue. ( again not owning one is why i come here for good advice )

How much lower would that res be compared to the sony / cybook ? would it matter much for straight text? ( ie does the higher res on the other devices only come into play when you want to display graphics / book covers etc? )

I may just hold off and wait a month or two ... it seems that several potentiallly good devices are coming out in the near future.

I dont have enougho extra funds to get one reader now and turn around and get another later on.

This would be a major invest ment that id be keeping for years to come.

Thank you
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I agree with that feeling 100% !

ROFL .. its why im tring to decide on a ebook now.

Hmm hadnt considered / didnt know that would be a issue. ( again not owning one is why i come here for good advice )

How much lower would that res be compared to the sony / cybook ? would it matter much for straight text? ( ie does the higher res on the other devices only come into play when you want to display graphics / book covers etc? )

I may just hold off and wait a month or two ... it seems that several potentiallly good devices are coming out in the near future.

I dont have enougho extra funds to get one reader now and turn around and get another later on.

Thank you
Well, the Sony, Jinke (V3), Bookeen and Amazon all have 6" screens w/600x800 pixel resolution. The Readius is only an inch smaller but has *only* 240x320 resolution. I'd say it's going to be "blockier". And considering we've been hearing prices suggested in the $600-$800 range, I'd consider that a QVGA folding display to be far more a 'disadvantage' than having a cell phone built-in would be an 'advantage'. But that's just me.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:33 AM   #11
rachaelandrews
Enthusiast
rachaelandrews doesn't litterrachaelandrews doesn't litter

Device: iLiad Second Edition
Quote:

Thank you
If I may add my two pennies worth --

The problem here as I see it is as with any technology. There will always ben something "better" in a few months.
If, like me, you have to have the latest gadget that serves your purpose (if it is within my means - which is a desire that has levels, shall we say, for everyone depending on their financial means) you can either
a) keep waiting and never spend your money for fear of the object of your lust being superseded tomorrow
b) buy one and then plan for the next one which is inevitably around the corner
or
c) buy one and kick yourself when the next one comes out.

I'm a b) option sort of person really.

If you are making an investment that you don't plan to upgrade until such time that it either becomes obsolete or dies on it's bum, however, I think testing the water, as you are doing, to see if anything else is about to pop up which would be better suited to your needs is sensible. But unless you have insider info or are clairvoyant, you still could have a surprise in store when the next one comes out. Or if something suddenly becomes obsolete (which is a possibility - though in such cases "suddenly" is usually - but not always - within a timeframe that means your device won't instantly become useful only as a doorstop, thankfully.)
And if you do have insider info, which is a position I have been in on a number of occasions, your need for any particular device right now as opposed to in a few months time may well mean that that info might not do you any good at all.

Bottom line is - there's always going to be something "better" around the corner. This technology lark is all about chances, innit. Short of being psychic you'll never know what's up next.
IMHO - does the device you have in mind now suit your needs as they stand ? If yes, great - buy one and enjoy it ! If not, wait until something comes along that does.
That is, as ever, only my humble opinion.

Rachael
rachaelandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The Readius has a linear resolution of 80 dots per inch (dpi) - that's similar to that of an original dot matrix printer; at that resolution you can clearly see all the "dots" which make up each letter.

All the 6" eInk devices on the market have a linear resolution more than double that - 166dpi, so a letter of a given physical size will have more than 4x as many "dots" in it on the eInk screen as on the Readius, and will look much more like printed text.

It doesn't affect what you can read, but it'll mean that the text will look much "smoother".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote