Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #46
ynpdreamer
ynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
I chose to do KDP select to gain some exposure as a new author. I published my very first book in January, and now have four books published (all part of one series), and the first two are in select. I have only ever put the first book in the series up for free, and I don't plan to put the second one up free ever. From the promos, I have had over 16,000 free downloads, and sales on all my titles have been excellent, because of the exposure of the free book. After my last promo in mid-April, I had more than 1000 paid sales across all four of my books for that month, and I am still selling well now into May. I would not have gained this kind of exposure without select. (Before select, I was averaging 60 sales per month per title)
That said, I will not renew when my 90 day obligation comes up in June. Select has given me the opportunity to reach readers, and I receive emails from readers weekly, asking me when my next book will be out, and I'm receiving great reader reviews for the series. Select has helped me achieve what I wanted - exposure for my books, and the 90 day exclusivity obligation was well worth it for me.
ynpdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmmm, maybe I should try my hand at romance again.

Thanks for posting that Peggy!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #48
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynpdreamer View Post
I chose to do KDP select to gain some exposure as a new author. I published my very first book in January, and now have four books published (all part of one series), and the first two are in select. I have only ever put the first book in the series up for free, and I don't plan to put the second one up free ever. From the promos, I have had over 16,000 free downloads, and sales on all my titles have been excellent, because of the exposure of the free book. After my last promo in mid-April, I had more than 1000 paid sales across all four of my books for that month, and I am still selling well now into May. I would not have gained this kind of exposure without select. (Before select, I was averaging 60 sales per month per title)
That said, I will not renew when my 90 day obligation comes up in June. Select has given me the opportunity to reach readers, and I receive emails from readers weekly, asking me when my next book will be out, and I'm receiving great reader reviews for the series. Select has helped me achieve what I wanted - exposure for my books, and the 90 day exclusivity obligation was well worth it for me.
An encouraging story. Well done Peggy, and much success!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #49
ynpdreamer
ynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseynpdreamer juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
An encouraging story. Well done Peggy, and much success!
Thanks! I know there are far more people who have had far more success with select, but for me - who never even thought to publish, and when I did, hoped for a handful of sales, this has been an amazing experience so far.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #50
ynpdreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmm, maybe I should try my hand at romance again.

Thanks for posting that Peggy!
I don't know, Kenny. I hear YA and paranormal (vampires and werewolves) is where it's at these days.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #51
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I've heard that B&N and SW will remove the Select titles from their website/servers, upon request, so that they are no longer available for re-download. Naturally, this upset some people. But it does comply with the "distribute" clause.
I don't think they do this. (Or at least, not SW.) From the Smashwords ToS:

12. Termination. Either party may terminate this agreement this Agreement at any time without notice. Registered Smashwords members may cancel their membership at any time, and published Smashwords authors may unpublish their book listings at any time. However, purchased books will not be removed from customers' accounts, either at Smashwords or at Smashwords-supplied retailers.

(Emphasis added.)

Removing books from customers' purchase libraries would get huge outcry and possible legal action; they'd have to first notify people that they're required to download purchases within a certain time limit after purchase. (I remember when Fictionwise switched from "please download within two weeks" to "within 24 hours" to "within an hour," all trying to comply with the caprices of publishers. "Within an hour" means I can't purchase at work & wait until I get home to download.)

Removing books from other retailers would involve a lot of complicated contract-work with those retailers. They're happy to have a SW feed; they're likely much less happy to deal with a third party telling them when to alter customer libraries.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #52
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynpdreamer View Post
I don't know, Kenny. I hear YA and paranormal (vampires and werewolves) is where it's at these days.
Oh, I'm sure, but that boat already sailed and I'm glad I'm not on it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote