Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
robcohen
Enthusiast
robcohen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kindle Touch
Suggestion: change default library folder location so it's backed up by Win7 Backup

Hi,
The default backup settings for a Win7 system, "Let Windows choose" does not backup non-default folders in the %userprofile% hierarchy (usually C:\users\username\. Since the default install for Calibre places the Calibre Library folder at %userprofile%\Calibre Library it will not be backed up with the '"Let Windows choose" setting for backup and one might not notice this until a backup was actually needed.

For my part, I used to add the Calibre Library folder to my backup settings along with another non-default folder I had placed in that location. Recently migrated to a new hard drive and realized it just makes more sense to place both those folders inside the %userprofile%\Documents folder so they're backed up by default.

I'd like to suggest the default library folder location be changed to be inside the Documents folder. I'd bet anyone a couple of diet Coke's that most users have no idea the default library location is not being backed up if they use the 'recommended' backup parameters on Win7. Opened an enhancement request on the bug tracker in case there's agreement this is a good idea.

Other thoughts?

Rob
robcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
W7 is just one of the many OS that Calibre runs under.
So what do the users of XP and Vista (The Windows build) do?
If there was a registry entry that could add a 'Key' for what folders to back-up. Having that exist, would not break older windows.

BTW Windows also has possible Path name length issues, a great argument to place the library close to a Drives Root.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
robcohen
Enthusiast
robcohen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kindle Touch
Received an email Tuesday that the fix in in the next release on Friday: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/934840

Great news, IMHO.

Thanks to Kovid and crew for addressing this.

Rob
robcohen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library backup, win7