Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #136
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
(Note to self: Change age of victim... uh-oh, now the ice cream angle doesn't work...)

Rewrite!

Bah, just ignore the critics and let the words flow.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #137
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Now writing, well one third completed after I couldn't sleep last night, a novella entitled "Somewhere Never Travelled".
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #138
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Since I first responded on this topic, I've decided I really needed to buckle down and get finished with one piece of work. Now that I have a finished ebook of His Robot Girlfriend, I'm going to concentrate on finishing "Eaglethorpe Buxton and the Elven Princess". The best description I have for this is sort of Lord of the Rings meets Series of Unfortunate Events. .

I plan to have the first draft finished in about two weeks from now. It is a short work, so hopefully the revising editing will also be short. Of course like all good plans... I've already started taking summer classes for my master's, and although I only have about three weeks of teaching school left, I only get a week off before I begin teaching summer school. I may not end up having as much time to work on my projects as I would like... :P
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #139
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
For the last couple of years, I've been writing fanfiction based on the TV show 'The Big Valley', which has expanded to involve the Westerns 'Maverick', 'Paradise', and 'The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.'

Mostly dramas, a little romance, a little humor, a couple of mysteries, a couple of epistolary short stories. It's been a great way to try different things, and harder than it might seem - I've had to do, and am still doing, a great deal of historical research (I've even read the 1872 California Penal Code! Gosh, I love Google Books!).

I've got in mind mainstreaming one of the stories into a novel or novelette - when I get done with the current tale I'm working on. More research, though, so we'll see where it goes.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #140
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
For the last couple of years, I've been writing fanfiction based on the TV show 'The Big Valley', which has expanded to involve the Westerns 'Maverick', 'Paradise', and 'The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.'
(Damn! Rewrite!!)

Heh... just kidding. Actually, it sounds fascinating mixing all of those shows in. Does Brisco's orb make the story, too?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #141
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
(Damn! Rewrite!!)

Heh... just kidding. Actually, it sounds fascinating mixing all of those shows in. Does Brisco's orb make the story, too?
The only Brisco character I've actually crossed over was Prof. Wickwire. The joke was that every single other character already knew him.

I fudged the timelines to get 'Paradise' in, but Brisco takes place too much later for me to cross over anyone else - the other characters would all be little kids (which I guess I *could* do, but haven't yet).

I'd also love to add 'Kung Fu' into the mix, it being the one other Western series I'm in love with, but haven't figured out anything that wouldn't suck.

Yes, I do this for fun, but not sucking is still a goal.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #142
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
Working title: Unethical Magic

I'm writing an urban fantasy with romantic elements where a half-tree nymph unaware of her magical heritage casts a spell granting her boyfriend's deepest wish--in order to save him from an unethical mage who wants to see just how powerful my heroine is as an untrained spellcaster. The spell works, but instead of wanting to spend forever at her side, her boyfriend covets supernatural strength and speed--he also has a nasty mean streak. The boyfriend is now a vampire, a boyfiend, if you will. And the unethical mage is my heroine's only help and unlikely love interest as the story progresses.

(This is the first blurb I've written for this, so please feel free to ask questions if it makes no sense at all!)

I think it's a cool story, but then it's my Baaby.

Sherry King's Paranormal Romance Stories
Heroes and Lovers. Madmen and Monsters.
We're all a bit of each deep down.
http://sherryking-paranormalromance-books.com/
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #143
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryk_us View Post
Working title: Unethical Magic

I'm writing an urban fantasy with romantic elements where a half-tree nymph unaware of her magical heritage casts a spell granting her boyfriend's deepest wish--in order to save him from an unethical mage who wants to see just how powerful my heroine is as an untrained spellcaster. The spell works, but instead of wanting to spend forever at her side, her boyfriend covets supernatural strength and speed--he also has a nasty mean streak. The boyfriend is now a vampire, a boyfiend, if you will. And the unethical mage is my heroine's only help and unlikely love interest as the story progresses.

(This is the first blurb I've written for this, so please feel free to ask questions if it makes no sense at all!)

I think it's a cool story, but then it's my Baaby.

I love urban fantasy - is the boyfriend an actual vampire, or just a wannabe? Just my own opinion, but as a longtime reader of fantasy, I'm so sick of vampires I could, well, do something rude. They've completely taken over, and it's become such a cliche.

Your story sounds interesting, but if it's got vampires, I'd give it a pass - but that's just me.

I wrote a short-short once about a tree nymph, so I'm very intrigued.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #144
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An unfortunate turn of a holiday

I thought my wife and I were going to get some quality time together this weekend... instead, she's been "volunteered" into working today and tomorrow out of town, pretty much an all-day thing, so there's no point in my joining her.

Methinks I may get a lot of writing in over the next 2 days...
Old 05-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #145
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Your story sounds interesting, but if it's got vampires, I'd give it a pass - but that's just me.
It's funny how Vampires have undergone a resurgence (again)... you just can't keep those bloodsuckers down!

I wonder, though, if there isn't room for some new characters forged out of more modern lore. Vampire legends were originally borne out of fear of outsiders, combined with ignorance of medical facts. Legends of werewolves, zombies, and other ancient monsters, came from similar past beliefs and ignorances. What lore is there around today that shapes our modern monsters? (Besides deeply-demented serial killers and terrorists, the obvious modern monsters, that is.)

It seems there is a lot of fear of cloning... identity theft... pathogens stronger than the human immune system... genetic manipulation. Where are the monsters for that?
Old 05-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #146
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I've got a story that I've been piecing together for a few years now. I really need to start back on it. Along the same genres as (possibly) S.King, A.Rice, and a touch of C.Barker. It's a new spin on immortality. At least, I've never seen anything similar before.

Although, wil my beginning talents, it will most likley read like Eragon.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #147
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The cloning idea is interesting. I'm sorry to say the boyfiend really is a vampire--I think I wanted to write about one who is nasty and ugly, not all sexy looking and good at heart like so many you see these days.
Perverse of me, I guess.

Sherry
Old 05-29-2009, 12:47 AM   #148
sherryk_us
writer/reader

The new spin on immortality sounds interesting. And I feel that if you are sophisticated to dislike Eragon (apologies to those who like their dragons any way they can get 'em), you probably can't write that way--even if you try!

Sherry
Old 05-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #149
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Nah, sophistication is definatly not a word to describe me. I also love dragons and fantasy books are the dominating genre in my collection. Dragonlance, Discworld, Pern. As a matter of fact, I greatly enjoyed Eragon, though I have yet to read the two sequels.

My only.. gripe?..would be how it read. It was obvious it was written by someone who was still learning story pacing. I know he was only 17 when he wrote it, but still. It seemed to me everything happened very quickly. Months went by in the story, and the way it was written it seemed that only days had gone by, due to the writing.

That's all I was trying to say. I simply hope that I can convey the pacing of the story, as well as significant filler, so it doesn't seem as though I'm just piecing abstract thoughts together.

At least, this was my experience. It may have been my mood at the time of reading. Still, I did enjoy Eragon, and I look forward to reading the sequels.

I did not, however, watch the movie. And I have no plans to
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #150
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
It's funny how Vampires have undergone a resurgence (again)... you just can't keep those bloodsuckers down!

I wonder, though, if there isn't room for some new characters forged out of more modern lore. Vampire legends were originally borne out of fear of outsiders, combined with ignorance of medical facts. Legends of werewolves, zombies, and other ancient monsters, came from similar past beliefs and ignorances. What lore is there around today that shapes our modern monsters? (Besides deeply-demented serial killers and terrorists, the obvious modern monsters, that is.)

It seems there is a lot of fear of cloning... identity theft... pathogens stronger than the human immune system... genetic manipulation. Where are the monsters for that?
Hmm... Rewrite of the fugitive? An average man used as a fall guy for some government worker's evil, all dumped into various computers (a form of identity theft?) Lots of room to look at the concept of identity and how it pervades the current and future world?

Last edited by Greg Anos; 05-29-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote