Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
Gummby
Enthusiast
Gummby began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, GEB1150, Treo 680
Highly Ironical or Market Segmentational?

Just a general observation. Curious about anyone else's opinion.

While Fictionwise is still promoting the secure ereader format (as evidenced with the additional 5% off), the B&N website seems to be systematically replacing all of the PDB files with EPUB. Even a couple of freebies I downloaded last week as PDB are now in my online library available as EPUB only.

Perhaps it is market segmentation, and if so, I don't blame them.

However, since neither my Treo nor my Sony will read their DRM'd EPUBs, though, I (sadly) will have to forego their $1.99 sale on the B&N classics.

Thoughts?
Gummby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
You do realize that you can get the Classics DRM-free from Gutenberg and Manybooks. It's not necessary to pay B&N for DRM versions.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
You do realize that you can get the Classics DRM-free from Gutenberg and Manybooks.
And many from right here at MobileRead, in oft-superior versions.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Have you downloaded Adobe Digital Editions for your pc & Sony reader? If you did, you would have no problems dl epubs.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Buy from someone else
As you seam to be in the US, the sony store seams the best right now.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Cant find anything better yet
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Gummby
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Have you downloaded Adobe Digital Editions for your pc & Sony reader? If you did, you would have no problems dl epubs.
Are you sure? My understanding was that the Barnes & Noble EPUBs come with additional DRM (requiring credit card entry), and so they are only readable on the nook.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Gummby
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
And many from right here at MobileRead, in oft-superior versions.
I have downloaded several items from Mobileread, PG, and Manybooks. I don't remember any of them having additional notes or essays like the B&N editions do.

Mobileread also doesn't support ereader format. I don't blame them - it's a legacy format, to be sure.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Calibre can convert between most formats (except, of course, if they're DRM-locked), including pdb.

Do B&N's notes and essays add that much value to the book? Enough to make up for not only the financial price, but for supporting DRM?

I've bought pbooks with similar added content, and found myself not reading it because, by and large, it seemed to be either trivial, irrelevant, or things I already knew; ymmv, of course. I can see how that might be handy for a student, but for general reading, I didn't find it added much if any value.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummby View Post
Are you sure? My understanding was that the Barnes & Noble EPUBs come with additional DRM (requiring credit card entry), and so they are only readable on the nook.
Ahh you are correct you have to have B&Ns reader/software in order to order from them.

Which is why I'm not interested in their store or reader. That's why I went with a Sony reader.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote