Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Question Collections via Syncing

Hi,

after some initial troubles, I've gotten quite fond of syncing via eBook library.
On Sony 600 and Sony 900, the collections I'm syncing appear as collections on my readers as well (exactly as intended).
On Sony 505 and Sony 700, I've got all the books from the collections I've been syncing. But I don't have all the collections themselves.
I'm syncing .lrx and .lrf to the Memory stick and .epub and .pdf to the SD card.
I'm using the same type of cards in Sony 600, 900 and Sony 505.
On Sony 600 and 900, I've got the 4 collections and all the books.
On Sony 505 and Sony 700, I've got all the books, but only the 2 collections (.epub and .pdf) from the SD card.
I didn't check yet, whether it's the card type (my guess) or the book format. Or maybe the "old" readers just can't show collections of 2 cards?

Anyone else got the same?
(As it's the same on Sony 505/700 and Sony 600/900, it can't be coincidence, there has to be some systematic behind it.)

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-04-2010 at 05:11 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Interesting. Using the local memory in my 505, synching collections gives collections.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Hi,

after some initial troubles, I've gotten quite fond of syncing via eBook library.
On Sony 600 and Sony 900, the collections I'm syncing appear as collections on my readers as well (exactly as intended).
On Sony 505 and Sony 700, I've got all the books from the collections I've been syncing. But I don't have all the collections themselves.
I'm syncing .lrx and .lrf to the Memory stick and .epub and .pdf to the SD card.
I'm using the same type of cards in Sony 600, 900 and Sony 505.
On Sony 600 and 900, I've got the 4 collections and all the books.
On Sony 505 and Sony 700, I've got all the books, but only the 2 collections (.epub and .pdf) from the SD card.
I didn't check yet, whether it's the card type (my guess) or the book format. Or maybe the "old" readers just can't show collections of 2 cards?

Anyone else got the same?
(As it's the same on Sony 505/700 and Sony 600/900, it can't be coincidence, there has to be some systematic behind it.)
I've had no problem syncing collections with my reader's internal memory, as well as to a memory card (using the SD slot) using the EBook Library. My library consists of both PDF ebooks and BBeB ebooks, and both show up on my reader with no problems. I currently have 13 collections in my library and I designate some collections for my ereader's internal memory, and others for the SD card and the collections (and their ebooks) are loaded in the correct location.

The only time some of my collections didn't show up on my reader is when I didn't let the EBook Library complete the sync process (I removed my ereader from my library too soon). When I synced again and let the process finish the collections were back where they should be. Now, I make sure I wait until the sync screen shows "Completed" for both the internal memory and the SD card before I remove my ereader from my computer.

What I've found works best is to use collections to control the ebooks loaded on my ereader (only ebooks in a collection are loaded on my reader). I do all of the ebook management work in the EBook Library without my ereader connected to my computer. The only time I connect my ereader to my computer is to sync it with the Ebook Library and then I disconnect it when it's finished (I have an AC adapter for charging my reader).

I hope this helps.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I've had no problem syncing collections with my reader's internal memory, as well as to a memory card (using the SD slot) using the EBook Library. My library consists of both PDF ebooks and BBeB ebooks, and both show up on my reader with no problems. I currently have 13 collections in my library and I designate some collections for my ereader's internal memory, and others for the SD card and the collections (and their ebooks) are loaded in the correct location.

The only time some of my collections didn't show up on my reader is when I didn't let the EBook Library complete the sync process (I removed my ereader from my library too soon). When I synced again and let the process finish the collections were back where they should be. Now, I make sure I wait until the sync screen shows "Completed" for both the internal memory and the SD card before I remove my ereader from my computer.

What I've found works best is to use collections to control the ebooks loaded on my ereader (only ebooks in a collection are loaded on my reader). I do all of the ebook management work in the EBook Library without my ereader connected to my computer. The only time I connect my ereader to my computer is to sync it with the Ebook Library and then I disconnect it when it's finished (I have an AC adapter for charging my reader).

I hope this helps.
Strange thing is, al the book get synced. I've got them all on both cards as intended. But on 1 card they are organised in collections, on the other they aren't. Not a biggy, as longs as I've got the books. But still - very strange. Even ore confusing: On the "new" readers" (300, 600 and 900) I've got all the collections, on the "old" readers (505 and 700) only half of it as described above.
I guess I'll have to dig deeper and experiment with various collections and combinations of cards...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
Interesting. Using the local memory in my 505, synching collections gives collections.
Interesting to know what happens, if you sync to both cards instead of internal memory. In the very beginning, when eBook library 3.x made tons of problems, syncing to internal memory was working fine, but did fail to each of the cards.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post

I hope this helps.
SD card is working fine for me as well, whereas the additional memory stick only shows the books but not the collections.
Explanation 1: Reader can't show collections from various sources. (Has been working before though, so this would mean a change in the systematic.)
Explanation 2: Reader prefers the SD card over the memory stick. Would be strange for a unit from Sony.
As I've got the very same on Sony 505 AND Sony 700 an on the other hand it's working fine on Sony 300 AND Sony 600 AND Sony 900, there has to be SOME systematic behind it.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
Sorraia3
Sorraia3 began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-600
I have a 600 and I use the sync as well. After formatting everything in Calibre and saving it the pc, I upload into Library and sort into collections. Then when I connect the reader, my collections sync over with no problems. I have all my manuals, tech and science docs going to the reader memory in 2 collections. All novels going to the memory stick sorted by author or series into 13 collections and all short stories, papers, reports, etc going to an sd card sorted into 17 collections. Both mem cards are 8GB and still have almost half left on each. I also have about 200 audio files syncing to the Mem stick. So far not a single problem. At least, not with the sync. ;-)
Sorraia3 is offline   Reply With Quote