Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 02-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #1
varaonaid
Enthusiast
varaonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: Win 10 PC, Android Smartphone & Tablet, Considering my first e-ink
Question Audiobooks - one large file or many?

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the advantages or disadvantages of different ways of setting up audiobook files.

I've seen some programs create multiple small files (sometimes over a hundred), others do several files, but less of them, and other create one audiobook file.

In practical use, which do you prefer and why? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Which is easier for maintaining your position?

I'm not sure what setup I'll end up with for play back (but I'm mostly using the Apple ecosystem of iPhone/iPad with some Mac usage). At the moment I'm experimenting with using Plex/Emby. I'm intrigued by subsonic/madsonic servers but I'm not sure if it's worth running another server and the cost, should I need premium (already have PlexPass & Emby Premium). I'm also considering just figuring out how to get my audiobooks into Apple Books, since that's a pretty seamless way to listen. I'm completely open to other suggestions. I'm just now trying to setup and organize my audiobooks so that they are easier to listen to. I included what my hardware/listening setup is because it might make a difference on which way you recommend me setting up my audiobooks (one file vs many).

Thanks in advance for any help and info. I really appreciate it.
varaonaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I prefer one large file. At one time, some devices couldn't handle files over a certain size and with slow, quirky internet connections, trying to download a large file could frequently fail. These days neither of those is an issue.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert