Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Where is the best place to put a MAP?

So for my fifth book where there is a bunch of back and forth traveling to around a dozen locations I decided to create a map. In fact, I create the most awesomest map ever! So awesome I dare not post it here, cause might make everyone jealous (okay that is a huge lie, but I am FICTION writer...sheesh! ) Anyways, I do think the map is decent enough looking on my Kindle Fire (plan to test on my buddie's Paperwhite tomorrow) to use.

The question is... do I put the map in the FRONT of the book or the BACK of the book? It is not critical for the story, but it could be helpful. I am not concerned about it spoiling anything.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I would put it up front.

If it's an e-book it won't have endpapers like a hardback. Therefore at the front, so the ebook reader, who often starts at the beginning of the text, rather than the TOC finds it and knows it's there.

Structurally, I'd made the Contents look a bit like this:

Table of Contents
Map of Ererwhon
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
etc

Kindles tend to default to the "start", so if the map is at the start, AFTER the TOC, rather than the back of the book, it will be seen. My paperback edition of Dune has the maps at the back, and I didn't know they were there until I got to the end. Many readers are not terribly attentive to the apparatus on the contents page of p-books; they just want to start reading and dive for the beginning.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I asked this is in 2 forums now... so far its a universal vote for front.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here ya go.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hammett.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	112945  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm not going to break the streak - I think it should be at the front.

If ebooks had a decent footnote feature then a useful alternative would be to put the such things at the back and have a footnote reference at the first relevant part of your text.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
+1 front is the traditional location to me.

Maps and e-readers are a pain though. Not only the need to bookmark it but also often needing to zoom in. Reading in a more potent tablet browser works better with maps because you can open multiple instances of the document and keep one tab or page set to the map (and zoom however you like).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Historiann
Connoisseur
Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
Another +1 for front. And thanks for taking the trouble to add a map. I find it annoying when I have to pause my reading long enough to look up a location elsewhere.
Historiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
...I am not concerned about it spoiling anything.
If it contained spoilers then I would place it elsewhere, but without spoilers I agree with the consensus that it should be in the front.

While you're at it, you could also link to it, like an endnote, from various places in the text where the action heads of toward some location or reaches some new location.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Another useful procedure would be (in addition to including the map in the book), including a larger version of the map for printing or side-to-side reference on the book's web site or purchase point.

See for instance the maps at the bottom of https://ebookstore.sony.com/wheel-of-time/
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard

Thanks all! Front it will be!

I tested my map as the last page before the start of the first chapter.

Kindle Fire HD - All is Good!

Nook E-Ink Classic (3 or 4 year old model) - did not scale the map so you could only see he top left corner, but at least that little corner was clear and correct

Kindle Paperwhite - current generation - Scaled map fine, but some of the text on the map was completely gone. It looked fine in gray scale in Photoshop, but on the Paperwhite screen the text was lost (assumed to be the same or close to same shade as the background and not actually missing)

Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
Another useful procedure would be (in addition to including the map in the book), including a larger version of the map for printing or side-to-side reference on the book's web site or purchase point.

See for instance the maps at the bottom of https://ebookstore.sony.com/wheel-of-time/
Well maybe after I mature my maping skills and map more of the universe... but for now, I have many hours in to this one little region not sure anyone would really want to print this. But I guess I can toss it on my web site. Does not cost me anything to do that.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Would you start a trip without looking at a map?
(OK I admit. I don't have a handy to use GPS.)

Even if you do have a GPS, you should verify the solution is reasonable
People have driven into Lakes, onto Tracks because the GPS said "turn here"

Know where you are going (with the story ) Start with the MAP(s)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote