Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #136
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
Could we pass the device as a parameter or use a variable?

Spoiler:
Code:
./bin/kobopatch-linux-64bit AuraOne

vars:
    device: AuraOne

Parameters:
    DevType:
      Description: Device type.
      Default: AuraOne
      Type: String
      AllowedValues:
        - Touch # Trilogy
        - Touch2 # Pika
        - Mini # Pixie
        - AuraHD # Dragon
        - Aura # Phoenix
        - Glo # uses the values of Phoenix
        - H2O # uses the values of Dragon
        - GloHD # Alyssum
        - ClaraHD # Nova
        - AuraOne # Daylight
      ConstraintDescription: must specify a value.
I've got 4 different models which I'm still patching every fw update. That sounds like I'd need 4 different configurations instead of the single one I currently have. It sounds like more work.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #137
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I've got 4 different models which I'm still patching every fw update. That sounds like I'd need 4 different configurations instead of the single one I currently have. It sounds like more work.
I realy prefer to make a device dedicated one versus worldwide one.

It depends on the patch and/or the value of parameter/variable. If you pass a number of devices as parameter the patch will made for those devices. If you don't pass a parameter (or var is null) the program acts as now.

This could be a comparative
Spoiler:
Code:
  - FindZlib: "#connectedPixmap {"
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "#title[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 29px;\n}\n#title[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 36px;\n}\n#title[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 46px;\n}\n#title[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 60px;\n}"
#      Replace: "#title[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true]{font-size:33px;}"
#      Replace: "#title[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true]{font-size:39px;}"
#      Replace: "#title[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true]{font-size:49px;}"
      Replace: "#title[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true]{font-size:60px;}"

- ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "#title[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 29px;\n}\n#title[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 36px;\n}\n#title[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 46px;\n}\n#title[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 60px;\n}"
      Replace: "#title[qApp_deviceIs{{device}}=true] !If [AuraOne, {font-size:60px;}, [Dragon, {font-size:49px;}, [Phoenix, {font-size:39px;}, {font-size:33px;}]]]"

In the first case (now) the user must go patch by patch changing the value he/she wants. In the second one he/she only must say the device once.
I think it's pretty simple for the common user.

Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #138
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Nobody should write after a nap....

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 07-17-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #139
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Like I see, I think is better the second option. With the first you still must modify the patch whenever you use for a different device going through the patch file to comment and uncomment options. With the second you must change only the name of device at the beginning.
But @geek1011, why not to pass the name for device like a parameter?
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:51 PM   #140
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
For overriding the in tag, it would be simple (just setting cfg.In). I would need to add pflag for command line parsing, so tell me before you make a PR, if you are planning to. I can do this myself if you want.
Do you prefer the external pflag or the golang internal flag library? Syntax-wise they seem to be rather close.

Adding some command line parsing I would switch to specifying the config yaml via an extra cmd line flag instead of a normal argument?

E.g.
Code:
  kobopatch [--config SomeConfig.yaml] [--firmware PathToFirmware.zip]
WDYT?
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #141
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbusan View Post
Do you prefer the external pflag or the golang internal flag library? Syntax-wise they seem to be rather close.

Adding some command line parsing I would switch to specifying the config yaml via an extra cmd line flag instead of a normal argument?

E.g.
Code:
  kobopatch [--config SomeConfig.yaml] [--firmware PathToFirmware.zip]
WDYT?
I prefer pflag (spf13's fork), as it has better help, supports sort flags, and uses 2 dashes for long flags. Have a look at this to see how I usually implement flags in my apps.

I'd keep the config as a positional argument so Windows users can drag and drop a config file.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #142
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I realy prefer to make a device dedicated one versus worldwide one.

It depends on the patch and/or the value of parameter/variable. If you pass a number of devices as parameter the patch will made for those devices. If you don't pass a parameter (or var is null) the program acts as now.

This could be a comparative
Spoiler:
Code:
  - ReplaceZlib:
#      Replace: "#title[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true]{font-size:33px;}"
#      Replace: "#title[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true]{font-size:39px;}"
#      Replace: "#title[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true]{font-size:49px;}"
      Replace: "#title[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true]{font-size:60px;}"

- ReplaceZlib:
      Replace: "#title[qApp_deviceIs{{device}}=true] !If [AuraOne, {font-size:60px;}, [Dragon, {font-size:49px;}, [Phoenix, {font-size:39px;}, {font-size:33px;}]]]"

In the first case (now) the user must go patch by patch changing the value he/she wants. In the second one he/she only must say the device once.
I think it's pretty simple for the common user.

Good luck.
Hmm. I'm not totally convinced this is a good idea. This would add a lot of parsing complexity, make patches less readable, and increase the change of mistakes and bugs. The only benefits would be shorter patches and less comments if I understand this correctly.

Also, did you get the quotes working properly?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:39 AM   #143
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm. I'm not totally convinced this is a good idea. This would add a lot of parsing complexity, make patches less readable, and increase the change of mistakes and bugs. The only benefits would be shorter patches and less comments if I understand this correctly.

Also, did you get the quotes working properly?
The last first.
I think so. Thanks. There was an extra " ' " hidden.

If you aren't convinced, then you shouldn't do.
Don't worry about. Your decision on the parameter/variable will be the best.
You had fill the main goal (zlib support).

Just in case this helps (I hope so):
I think is a question of choosing between an universal solution and optimized one.

In the first case final user must choose (one by one) all his/her devices need.
And very important: you have spare time, because you are done.

In the second one, user gets what his/her device needs in exchange of a device id, but must run once per device.
You must think on and code.

This reminds me... the code is not optimized at all (there is an entire css four times repeated) and we overload it with more (four or six options for one only device is a lot of dead code).

So, as a final user, what do you want? Do you prefer simplicity or universality?
And you developer?
Yours is the last word. Thanks.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:45 AM   #144
jcn363
absolute beginner

Two typo on nickel 4.9.11311.

Spoiler:
Code:
#138 (zlib) pos 483c52:
  - FindZlib: "#topVerticalSpacer"
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "#bottomVerticalSpacer[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  min-height: 24x;\n  max-height: 24px;\n}"
      Replace: "#bottomVerticalSpacer[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true]{min-height:24px;max-height:24px;}"

#48 (zlib) pos 4781f5:
  - FindZlib: "#SelectionMenuView"
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "#highlight[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true],\n#search[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  margin-right: 7x;\n}"
      Replace: "#highlight[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true],#search[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true]{margin-right:7px;}"

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #145
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:

Spoiler:
Code:
#138 (zlib) pos 483c52:
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "#bottomVerticalSpacer[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  min-height: 24x;\n  max-height: 24px;\n}"
      Replace: "#bottomVerticalSpacer[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true]{min-height:24px;max-height:24px;}"

#48 (zlib) pos 4781f5:
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "#highlight[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true],\n#search[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  margin-right: 7x;\n}"
      Replace: "#highlight[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true],#search[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true]{margin-right:7px;}"

Good luck.
What patch is that? I don't remember converting a patch that looked like that.

Also, I'll be away for the next 2 weeks. I'll be unable to respond to any posts. If a new firmware version happens to come out during that time, GeoffR should be able to update and release a new version. If not, I'll do it as soon as I am back.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #146
jcn363
absolute beginner

Quote:
What patch is that? I don't remember converting a patch that looked like that.

Also, I'll be away for the next 2 weeks. I'll be unable to respond to any posts. If a new firmware version happens to come out during that time, GeoffR should be able to update and release a new version. If not, I'll do it as soon as I am back.
It is new (I think).

Don't worry, be happy!

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #147
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Spoiler:
Code:
#138 (zlib) pos 483c52:
  - ReplaceZlib:

#48 (zlib) pos 4781f5:
  - ReplaceZlib:

Good luck.
What does this change? When I first saw it, my thought was that it might be the cause of the missing top margin when opening an epub. But, I'm not sure if the name and sizes fit.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #148
jcn363
absolute beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What does this change? When I first saw it, my thought was that it might be the cause of the missing top margin when opening an epub. But, I'm not sure if the name and sizes fit.
I don't think so.
I'm not totally sure because it doesn't happen to my A1.

#48 involves only A1 but margin-right => no way, and
#138 involves only Aura and bottomVerticalSpacer min-height -> it is a good candidate but it must be tried on it.

Anyway, if it makes work a little bit better... it can't be bad.
Ref.
Good luck.

Last edited by jcn363; 07-22-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #149
jcn363
absolute beginner

This kind of zlib optimization per device it's not very big (about 12% better in my A1), but, at least, it's not less than zero.
I must say I don't really noted any improve while I was reading but... numbers are numbers.
I've though this can be a kind of placebo, and that's because I'm uploading here, just in case someone wants to prove... Thanks.

Good luck.

Edit:
Here we go again.
Now with Dragon (AuraHD, H2O) version too.
If you try, please share your impressions.
Edit²:
Nova (ClaraHD) added. I can't test on the device, therefore the risk is all yours (as always).
Edit³:
Added clean file. Even better (at least, if you don't own several devices or use locale ). Without locale and device seems more responsive.
Note: is for A1.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nickel-PROGRESIVE.yaml_Daylight.zip (71.0 KB, 148 views)
File Type: zip nickel-PROGRESIVE.yaml_Dragon.zip (71.0 KB, 160 views)
File Type: zip nickel-PROGRESIVE.yaml_Nova.zip (71.0 KB, 143 views)
File Type: zip nickel-PROGRESIVE.yaml (clean).zip (53.9 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by jcn363; 08-03-2018 at 04:03 AM. Reason: A little bit more clean, structured and optimized.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:12 AM   #150
jcn363
absolute beginner

I've added a new file, a clean one, in the previous post. Now yes, I can say I really noticed an improvement while I was reading.
Good luck.

Tags
kobo, kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb