Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
wankel
wankel began at the beginning.

Device: Irex ER0141-002 'Iliad', Onyx M91s 'Odysseus', Kindle DX, Entourage Ed
Trying WIFI: turning on, connecting, and then turning off after ~5 seconds

My Iliad is serving nicely as a stand-alone ereader. Now and again I try to get more out of it (ending in frustration: it's a second hand unit, with no shell access :-( )

WIFI also never seemed to work properly. Now I tried setting up an unencrypted and a WPA(1) network. Iliad sees the networks, and I can configure and save a profile.

I can not use the connection though. These are my findings:
  • icon while in settings: while in settings, the WIFI-icon is greyed out: grey antenna on white background.
  • icon while in book list: while not in settings, the WIFI-icon is available: black antenna on white background.
  • icon while connecting: after clicking the WIFI-icon, it inverses: a white antenna on a black background.
  • icon after connecting 5-10 secons: the WIFI-icon stays inverted for 5 to 10 seconds, giving the impression something happened (with no valid profile, it returns to black-antenna-on-white-background in a few seconds).

In my router I can see that the device has asked for an IP (giving MAC address and 'udhcp 0.9.9-pre' as info).

While configuring there is not only the option to save the configuration, but also to test it immediately. It gives 'server not found' or something like that, and I guess that's 'Irex server not found'.

I worry that WIFI actually works with no problem, but that the device phones home to see whether home has gone bankrupt yet, and seeing that that is true, does not allow me to use WIFI.

Any idea whether this check is only a ping (that can be redirected with some trouble) or an attempt to log in to irex?

I realize most readers will have left this device behind them years ago, and also that all its functionality hinged on their off-line servers. I still have hopes for an answer :-)
wankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Can you check your settings in the setting panel 7,8. I have an iliad v2 and these 2 panels talk about background connect etc.,
If not this device, please do try to search around in your settings in general for anything related to iDS etc.,
If these are not disabled, please do try.

A couple of threads below there is a thread with a possible method to get shell access. Am not sure if this works.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
wankel
wankel began at the beginning.

Device: Irex ER0141-002 'Iliad', Onyx M91s 'Odysseus', Kindle DX, Entourage Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
Can you check your settings in the setting panel 7,8. I have an iliad v2 and these 2 panels talk about background connect etc.,
Thanks, I thinke mine is a v2 as well (type is ER0141-002), and on pages 7-8 IDS is mentioned.

Quote:
If these are not disabled, please do try.
I turned everything on (to check whether there were hidden settings that came available) and then turned everything off again.
Besides that I turned off / cleared everything remotely connected to remote connections:
  • page 1: n/a
  • page 2: n/a
  • page 3: iDS is mentioned, but not related to the settings here
  • page 4: MyiRex account settings: clear, to be sure also cleared my name above that
  • page 5: PIN: disabled
  • page 6: Settings for computer connection / samba: cleared
  • page 7: open wireless and background connect: all off/computer. To be sure, I also tried with open wireless networks enabled.
  • page 8: timed connections: off
  • page 9: time selection: runs halfway 2020, though the minutes are only 8 off
  • page 10:device ID: the wlan-mac shows up on the router, with an IP. Software version / firmware = 2.12
All to no avail.

Quote:
A couple of threads below there is a thread with a possible method to get shell access. Am not sure if this works.
I am also not sure if it can work, but when I tried it back then, I could not confirm it worked.

In case you got an other hint to try, I'm all ears ;-)
wankel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iliad, no connection, unencrypted, wifi, wpa