Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
stormsaber
stormsaber began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Jailbroke my Kindle Touch - what now?

Hello all,

I have jailbroken my Kindle Touch using the brilliant Kubrick but am not quite sure what to do now. The options are a tad.. overwhelming.

Many sources on these forums have said that it is fine to update your Kindle firmware after a jailbreak - but as a matter of priority I must ask if this is still the case. Can I update my KT to the latest 5.3.x from Amazon without losing the jailbreak? Is that the recommended way to proceed at this point?

Having updated (or not) I'll set about installing KUAL and prerequisites. Are there any must-have KUAL (or other) apps which forumites recommend?

I am most interested in disabling the Kindle's phone-home functionality (I am particularly concerned with automatic updates and Amazon's reputed ability to see what files I have on the device). Do you have any views on the current best way of doing that?

Finally, I am mostly interested in reading epub files on the Kindle and using my directories as collections. Although the wiki has a brilliant index of all the ways of doing that, I'm wondering what ways are most recommended at this point in time.

All the best,

Daniel
stormsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsaber View Post
Hello all,

I have jailbroken my Kindle Touch using the brilliant Kubrick but am not quite sure what to do now. The options are a tad.. overwhelming.

Many sources on these forums have said that it is fine to update your Kindle firmware after a jailbreak - but as a matter of priority I must ask if this is still the case. Can I update my KT to the latest 5.3.x from Amazon without losing the jailbreak? Is that the recommended way to proceed at this point?
Yes, you can update without losing the jailbreak. Whether you actually want to upgrade is up to you. (If you want to try out JBPatch for example, it best supports 5.1.2).

Quote:
Having updated (or not) I'll set about installing KUAL and prerequisites. Are there any must-have KUAL (or other) apps which forumites recommend?

I am most interested in disabling the Kindle's phone-home functionality (I am particularly concerned with automatic updates and Amazon's reputed ability to see what files I have on the device). Do you have any views on the current best way of doing that?
I'd say the backdoorlock hack if you only want to disable updates, or BBB if you want more complex control. But note that this is just hearsay - I'm personally not using either, I simply keep the Kindle in airplane mode.

Quote:
Finally, I am mostly interested in reading epub files on the Kindle and using my directories as collections. Although the wiki has a brilliant index of all the ways of doing that, I'm wondering what ways are most recommended at this point in time.

All the best,

Daniel
For epub, I guess HackedupReader or Librerator is what you want. For collections, I don't know what is supported by those programs. Collections Manager will allow you to do that, but only for files which the Kindle supports natively (i.e., it won't affect epub files).

To summarize it all: just experiment and install whatever you think you could like. If you don't like something, you can always uninstall it. And no worries - the risk of bricking your device is extremely low if you only use tried and tested software. And even in case it does happen, you can always debrick a K5 again in minutes. So there's nothing to be afraid of.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
To summarize it all: just experiment and install whatever you think you could like. If you don't like something, you can always uninstall it. And no worries - the risk of bricking your device is extremely low if you only use tried and tested software. And even in case it does happen, you can always debrick a K5 again in minutes. So there's nothing to be afraid of.
With very few exceptions, the KUAL button add-ins **do not** disturb the Amazon image files.

They install to a sub-directory of the user's USB storage and mostly they "uninstall" by just deleting the directory and files each button installed.

The KUAL project had this as a design goal - not to disturb the Amazon image files, and therefore minimize the chance of "bricking" the device.

Last edited by knc1; 07-16-2013 at 02:00 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks