Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2014, 01:53 AM   #1621
samhfoley
Enthusiast
samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle voyage and paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Okay, as promised earlier, here's an early winter break present .

If you happened to be running a live, but outdated version of the JailBreak when you got the 5.6.x update, this package should get you back on track.

Download the attached zip file, and unpack it.
Copy the Update_jailbreak_1.14.N_install.bin file to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject & unplug your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. If the update is successful, you're golden. If it fails, it probably means you weren't properly jailbroken before the update, in which case, you're still screwed.
Thanks! Just what I wanted for Christmas.
samhfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #1622
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I must have done something wrong but nothing works now.
I had PW2 with 5.4.0.2 or 0.3 I don't remember now. It was jail braked and it had a ss hack.

I decided to update to 5.6.1.0.2.
So I re applied the jailbreak with kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip, and it showed **** JAILBREAK ****.
Then I downloaded 5.6.1.0.2. amazon update manually and transferred via usb. My kindle didn't update automatically because I remember doing something to it before to stop automatic updates.
Anyway, that update worked.
So I went to apply ss hack, but UPDATE YOUR KINDLE was grayed out.
Then I thought maybe I should apply the fix (JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.6.x-hotfix.zip) so I did that and it worked. It said update successful and it restarted the kindle.
I tried with python again, to install ss hack but UPDATE YOUR KINDLE remains grayed out.
I tried to jailbrake it again, but again it remains grayed out.
Amazon screen savers are back, and I'm running in circles here. Help!
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #1623
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
So I went to apply ss hack, but UPDATE YOUR KINDLE was grayed out.
Then I thought maybe I should apply the fix (JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.6.x-hotfix.zip) so I did that and it worked. It said update successful and it restarted the kindle.
I tried with python again, to install ss hack but UPDATE YOUR KINDLE remains grayed out.
You didn't do anything wrong, except perhaps reading all the thread about 5.6.1 update.
Since fw 5.6.something the 'old' method of applying hacks placing their .bin in root directory does not work anymore. Amazon has blocked it.
To apply hacks you now have to use mrinstaller, which is KUAL extension.
So you have to:

* Install MKK (should be already in latest JB)
* Install KUAL
* Install mrplugin
* Place all the .bin you want to apply in /mrpackages directory
* Go to Kual --> Helper --> Install MRPackages

And you will have all of your hacks back
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #1624
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can I fix my problems without KUAL? I never had it before and I don't want it, unless it is absolutely the last option.
Also what what is MKK? I have the latest jailbreak (kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip) but I'm not seeing any MKK file or anything like that.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #1625
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Can I fix my problems without KUAL?
Yes, do the fixes over the serial port.

Quote:
I never had it before and I don't want it, unless it is absolutely the last option.
Why?
If you will tell us the basis of your objection to it, perhaps we can change it.
Quote:
Also what what is MKK? I have the latest jailbreak (kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip) but I'm not seeing any MKK file or anything like that.
It used to be called the Kindlet Jailbreak but had a name change due to confusion with the device jailbreak.

You aren't seeing any files because you are not looking in the correct place (in the **system** root file tree, not the **user** root file tree).

If you did successfully install 1.14 - it is there, trust us.

Whoot! #7,000 - time to retire!
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #1626
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Geralt: In addition to what knc1 & Ruskie_it mentioned, you desperately need to read the first post of this thread *in full*, it answers most everything you've just been asking .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #1627
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can I fix my problems without KUAL? I never had it before and I don't want it, unless it is absolutely the last option.
To simplify what has already been answered by two of the most competent guys around kindle jailbreaking, NO, you can't. Or better, you could, but in a way way more uncomfortable way (physically opening your Kindle and doing more complex stuff). It is absolutely the most practical and easy option now to have hacks installed in firmware 5.6.x+ since .bin files in root directory are immediately deleted by the Kindle OS upon disconnection from the pc.

MKK is... well, to talk easy, is some piece of software (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233932) that allows you to run custom kindle active content, like KUAL. It's a jailbreak for active content, so to speak (that piece of software that appears like a book in your kindle but actually is a program).
You don't see it because it's in system directories, but you already have it 'cause it's included with JB 1.14 that you installed.

I understand your resistance to install KUAL: if you don't use any of the quite useful programs that KUAL makes available (for example reminder, notepad, os terminal, calculator, panels to manage ss hack etc.) you might find it "useless" and not worth the pain to install it, even if it's a great piece of software but... guess what, it is now practically required to install any hack, thanks to the change that Amazon made to their latest software. So yes, I'd say it's the last (viable) option for you to have ss hack on your kindle.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #1628
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Help please with font hack/margins on 5.6.1.0.2 (B0D4)

I have done the following
* Install MKK
* Install KUAL
* Install mrplugin

I have placed the .bin together with the ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar in the mrpackages directory then

it goes through the motions, restarted etc but the margins remain the same, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(I got the screen saver hack to work with no probs)

Using the latest JB on PW2
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #1629
Brynwall
Enthusiast
Brynwall began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
You are a god among men! Mine is back up and running!!!!!

Thank you!

Quote:

If you happened to be running a live, but outdated version of the JailBreak when you got the 5.6.x update, this package should get you back on track.

Copy the Update_jailbreak_1.14.N_install.bin file to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject & unplug your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. If the update is successful, you're golden. If it fails, it probably means you weren't properly jailbroken before the update, in which case, you're still screwed.
Brynwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #1630
sebarkh
sebarkh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

OMG OMG OMG OMG It worked!!!!!

I LOVE YOU NiLuJe!!!!

Before that I had 1.13, but MRInstaller didnt work...
sebarkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #1631
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
I have placed the .bin together with the ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar in the mrpackages directory then
I don't know the margins hack, anyway what has changed from previous firmware is just the way the .bin is installed, all other configuration operations stay the same. So I doubt the .jar file had to be put in /mrpackages: check the margin hack installation instruction and do with the jar file as instructed there.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #1632
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@grizedale: Last I checked, kaznelson hadn't yet updated this to handle FW 5.6.1. And AFAICT, there were some non-trivial changes on the FW side as to how all this is handled, so it might take a while before an updated version is released.

TL;DR: If you didn't mangle the install, all you managed to do was put potentially harmful and incompatible core framework files on your device. Yay! Don't switch to en_GB until you've fixed it.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #1633
Geralt
Witcher

I only use jailbreak for cover screensavers. That's why I was reluctant to install KUAL. I don't use any other tweaks because I don't care about any of them like fonts or margins. I just want the cover of the last book I'm reading to be my screensaver. So the whole thing seemed like using a hammer to kill a fly. Like Ruskie said too excessive.
But anyway since it is required to install ss, I installed KUAL and helper.
But I don't know where I can find mrplugin to download and install.
Also will I get mrpackages directory when I install mrplugin?

@NiLuJe, I did read the first post, but I still need assistance. I hope that is ok with you, and thank you guys for helping me.
This isnt the first time I jailbreaked my kindle, I've been doing this for oh probably 2 years already. However, with this new update things have gotten a bit complicated. Thankfully you guys are here to help.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #1634
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
But anyway since it is required to install ss, I installed KUAL and helper.
Absolutely. Thank amazon for that.

Quote:
But I don't know where I can find mrplugin to download and install.
Also will I get mrpackages directory when I install mrplugin?
@NiLuJe, I did read the first post, but I still need assistance.
Not entirely. If you read it again, and in particular section "EVEN MORE IMPORTANT notice regarding FW >= 5.6.0:" you'll see that it refers to package installer, and also that reference is underlined. That's the link to mrpackage installer
Yes it's a zip file you simply have to decompress into kindle user root directory, and doing so you will also get the mrpackages folder created.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #1635
Geralt
Witcher

Thank you Ruskie and all of you. Karma to you all. I got my covers back

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch