Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2022, 08:25 AM   #361
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
If they look something like:

Code:
text/part0004.html#3Q280-bb387bb408464af78b24389a790813fa
Then those are likely actually being produced by calibre during conversion from a Kindle format. See my prior post.
that's probably what's happening. I'm converting and reconverting to minimize the margins.

Although kinda weird though. Because if I run calibre's epub checker again it will tell me to fix those links.
hleo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:59 AM   #362
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
that's probably what's happening. I'm converting and reconverting to minimize the margins.
You can avoid those TOC entries if you use the "KF8 to ePub" function of the kindleunpack plugin to convert AZW3 to EPUB instead of doing via calibre conversion.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:54 AM   #363
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You can avoid those TOC entries if you use the "KF8 to ePub" function of the kindleunpack plugin to convert AZW3 to EPUB instead of doing via calibre conversion.
But do you then have to make sure the ePub is free of errors? Every KF8 > ePub via KindleUnpack has errors that Calibre's error checker and epubcheck will flag.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #364
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But do you then have to make sure the ePub is free of errors? Every KF8 > ePub via KindleUnpack has errors that Calibre's error checker and epubcheck will flag.
It has worked for me.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #365
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It has worked for me.
Then shifting may be the solution to the problem of sending KF8 eBooks to Amazon to then send them back.

But really, why bother when you can just sync without shifting/emailing?
Old 10-03-2022, 10:30 PM   #366
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Interesting. If i use the ModifyEpub plugin to add/replace the cover on KindleUnpack generated epub, I will get errors due to a missing DOCTYPE in cover.xhtml. Otherwise, Sigil's builtin checker and EpubCheck don't seem to have any issues with either epub2 or epub3 output from KindleUnpack. I do have KindleUnpack's epub output version selector set to auto-detect so I will get epub2 or epub3 epubs.

Basically I have a very different experience from yours.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:11 AM   #367
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. began at the beginning.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
Quote:
And Jacques could have his account shut down by Amazon without any notice.
Well, it is I who bought all the Kindles that are used with my account although it is mostly friends of mine who use them, so I guess there is not much Amazon can say about it.
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:14 AM   #368
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur

Quote:
Please excuse poor untechnological me, but I see much of the discussion revolves about "TOC", and I don't know what it is. Would someone give a link where I can find what it means (Google only says "troubles obsessionnels compulsifs", which is certainly not what is meant...) and why they seem to be an issue ? Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:30 AM   #369
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Q. View Post
Please excuse poor untechnological me, but I see much of the discussion revolves about "TOC", and I don't know what it is. Would someone give a link where I can find what it means (Google only says "troubles obsessionnels compulsifs", which is certainly not what is meant...) and why they seem to be an issue ? Thanks a lot in advance.
TOC in this context means Table Of Contents

They are an issue mostly due to the way Amazon expects them to be formatted. EPUBs typically allow a certain flexibility in how the TOC is structured, but Amazon has some constraints in place which will make them reject EPUBs which are normally accepted by other readers.

Last edited by BionicGecko; 10-04-2022 at 04:32 AM.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:02 AM   #370
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
TOC in this context means Table Of Contents

They are an issue mostly due to the way Amazon expects them to be formatted. EPUBs typically allow a certain flexibility in how the TOC is structured, but Amazon has some constraints in place which will make them reject EPUBs which are normally accepted by other readers.
Thank you for explaining.
Hanging on to the Send-to-Kindle with Mobis option while it lasts (in spite of the recent unpractical change whereby for instance it has become impossible to have ? or " in a title that are replaced by _ just like for PDFs), I haven't had to deal with that problem so far - though I'm sure this is going to come and plague me at some point.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:12 PM   #371
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Q. View Post
Well, it is I who bought all the Kindles that are used with my account although it is mostly friends of mine who use them, so I guess there is not much Amazon can say about it.
You don't know that. I doubt anyone here really knows what Amazon can and cannot do.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:08 PM   #372
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur

Hello. So Amazon eventually implemented the possibility to send EPubs using SendToKindle a few days ago (in France that is, but surely this is global), although Mobis are still accepted.
BUT I guess it is no mere coincidence that, just a few days after that happened, when trying to open a (newly published, didn't try with older ones) e-book using the Kindle for PC reader, version 1.17, in order to transfer it to Calibre and do what I wanted with it, I just couldn't but was prompted instead to download the latest version - so I just got the book refunded.
I asked the very same question in another thread, but it may belong here as well : does this mean "the party's over" with the degrees of freedom one still possessed when using an older version of the Kindle for PC reader - like converting them to plain Mobi with no KF somethings or DRMs and retaining only that version ?
Old 01-05-2023, 09:04 AM   #373
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Seems to be the case with books just published this year and Kindle 1.17. But other methods of freeing them may still be available.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:52 AM   #374
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Seems to be the case with books just published this year and Kindle 1.17. But other methods of freeing them may still be available.
For now, Download and transfer via USB is still functioning but any book published after 2023-Jan-03 will give the PCMAC_126_Delivery_Error_Upgrade_PC if you attempt to download it with a version of K4PC less than 1.39. It was good while it lasted but Amazon has now closed that hole.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:32 AM   #375
langshipley
Connoisseur
langshipley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Paperwhite 2, iOS Kindle app
Not sure if this is the place to ask this or if I need to open another thread for it. Now that Amazon has implement EPUB for Send-to-Kindle and will be discontinuing the MOBI format for that feature eventually,

(1) do I convert my files to EPUB2 or EPUB3? My EPUB output is currently set to EPUB2 as a default, but I'm wondering if I should set it to EPUB3 when I'm converting an older EPUB file or an AZW, AZW3, or MOBI file so that I can send it to my Kindle via email.

(2) is there a way to look at the metadata of an EPUB file in Calibre to check if it's EPUB2 or EPUB3? I can't seem to find how to do that.

Thank you.
langshipley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub kindle