Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #1
ensta
ensta began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
epubs to Kindle app (across all devices)

Hi,
Am setting-up a new ereader and want to know how it's possible to import epubs (mobi) so they show across all my devices.
Currently I'll be reading using the Kindle android app on all my devices.

Any tips gratefully received.
Cheers,
N*
ensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yes. Use the Send-to Kindle app (https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle) or e-mail your books to your Kindle account (https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email). Neither option accepts epubs, so you'll have to convert them before sending (with Calibre or with various online converters).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
First, convert your epub file to mobi. You can use calibre to accomplish that.

Then you need to upload your mobi file to Amazon. You can either do that by using Amazon's Send To Kindle app (https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle) or by emailing the mobi file as an attachment to the kindle email address for one of your devices. The device email addresses should be listed on this page: https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/digit...ily=KINDLE_APP

Once your file is in Amazon's cloud, it will be available for downloading on all your devices. On your devices, touch Library then All to see your books.
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:20 AM   #4
ensta
ensta began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Thanks CathyA et al,

Chose Send to Kindle utility. It offers all the devices these separately.
I ticked them all.
If I don't tick them does it still cloud upload it? Would I be able to sync to devices from then?
Otherwise, will the notes and highlights sync with the desktop app? For viewing on my PC.

Thanks again

Best regards
ensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Besides, you can just rename bookname.epub to bookname.png and email it to the kindle.
It will be converted automatically.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2021, 08:04 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Or if none are eink, use a decent epub app like Lithium. Better reading experience.

I don't bother with sync. Searching for a phrase is faster than connecting to the WiFi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Besides, you can just rename bookname.epub to bookname.png and email it to the kindle.
It will be converted automatically.
I think .zip works too, but it has been quite awhile since I have done this (email attachment method).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Or if none are eink, use a decent epub app like Lithium. Better reading experience.

I don't bother with sync. Searching for a phrase is faster than connecting to the WiFi.
...for you. My Kindles are *always* connected, so it's actually quicker for me to use sync.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:21 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
...for you. My Kindles are *always* connected, so it's actually quicker for me to use sync.

Shari
Do you realize how much battery you waste with WiFi always on?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you realize how much battery you waste with WiFi always on?
Do you realize how much convenience I would lose by leaving it off? I would no longer have access to instant translation or Wikipedia...2 features I use often. Plus, of course, I would lose the syncing that I rely on heavily. I do turn off the wifi occasionally, if I'm leaving the house with it. Usually, though, if I'm leaving the house, I use my cellular enabled Voyage which is always in my purse.

I understand if you value battery life over convenience and loss of features, but I don't. Isn't it wonderful that we can both choose the way we want to use our devices?

Shari
Old 03-04-2021, 06:07 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Do you realize how much convenience I would lose by leaving it off? I would no longer have access to instant translation or Wikipedia...2 features I use often. Plus, of course, I would lose the syncing that I rely on heavily. I do turn off the wifi occasionally, if I'm leaving the house with it. Usually, though, if I'm leaving the house, I use my cellular enabled Voyage which is always in my purse.

I understand if you value battery life over convenience and loss of features, but I don't. Isn't it wonderful that we can both choose the way we want to use our devices?

Shari
I find no need to sync. I'm perfectly able to read multiple books on different devices. I have a eBook going on my H2O and an audiobook going on my iPhone. I have no problem with that. I rarely read on my iPhone these days.I read on my H2O. I rarely read in my Kindle. I use my Kindle for Amazon eBooks where the coding is a big mess and I don't feel like trying to fix it to be decent code. I just fix a few things and I'm good enough to go.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-04-2021 at 06:10 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:32 PM   #12
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find no need to sync. I'm perfectly able to read multiple books on different devices. I have a eBook going on my H2O and an audiobook going on my iPhone. I have no problem with that. I rarely read on my iPhone these days.I read on my H2O. I rarely read in my Kindle. I use my Kindle for Amazon eBooks where the coding is a big mess and I don't feel like trying to fix it to be decent code. I just fix a few things and I'm good enough to go.
...and that's great for you. I'm glad that you are able to use your device the way that you choose to. What I don't understand is why you feel that your way of doing things is the *only* way of doing things. Please let people make their own choices, and stop trying to convince everyone that your way is the only way.

Shari
Old 03-05-2021, 10:20 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

Shari
I only use Kindles to test.
Serious proof reading and annotation on a Kobo Libra
General reading on Likebook Mars
PDFs that are too big on the 10" Lenovo tab.

The OP was asking about Kindle Apps. The Kindle App ONLY makes sense if you have no-ink, never use Calibre and only get books from Amazon.
It's spyware that starts at Android boot and will even attempt to use cellular when data is disabled unless you have the second "I really really mean NO mobile data at all at all setting" aka Background use.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:29 AM   #14
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensta View Post
Thanks CathyA et al,

Chose Send to Kindle utility. It offers all the devices these separately.
I ticked them all.
If I don't tick them does it still cloud upload it? Would I be able to sync to devices from then?
If you tick them all, then the book will automatically be downloaded to each device next time you start up the Kindle App on that device. If you don't choose any devices and just select the option to "Archive document in your Kindle library" then it just uploads to the cloud and you would have to manually select the book on each device to download it. Alternatively, you can login to your Amazon account and go to the manage content and devices page and choose to "deliver" it to selected devices from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensta View Post
Otherwise, will the notes and highlights sync with the desktop app? For viewing on my PC.

Thanks again

Best regards
I don't think the Kindle for PC app supports sync the way the other devices and apps do. To read a personal doc on your Kindle for PC, you just open it from the file system rather than downloading it, so I suspect it can't sync to or from the cloud. I have never tried it though.
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:53 AM   #15
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:

Shari

This is how I use my Kindle. The WiFi is always on to enable sync, Kindle store, etc. My two Kindles run for weeks between charges, so I don't worry about it. That's why we paid for a dedicated eInk device, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote