Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #46
Tali
Tali began at the beginning.

Device: still bcowsing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
So, what was wrong with the subscribe feature ?
I took a look at the feeds that you're using, aside from the title, there's nothing in it: http://feeds.latimes.com/latimes/news/local?format=xml

Downloading images for a dozen feeds could basically take a very long time and therefore timeout. I would like to avoid this mess as much as possible and will add support for the images once we're not sending queries to the third party servers anymore, but rather using a cache system.
Thanks Hadrien,
Can't wait! Got some online funnies I'd like to enjoy on the weekend
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #47
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Fixed an issue with the subscriptions on the mobile website. You should be able to access them once again. It's another good way to update if you don't always keep the last version of the feeds that you're reading, or if you'd like to use private newspapers.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #48
bchowdhr
bchowdhr began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Hadrien, I noticed that I am able to get many feeds with full content using Mobipocket Reader but when I tried using Feedbooks I only got partial feeds. The problem, I think, is with the URLs. For example, if you use the following URL for Time - Most Emailed Articles:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/time/mostemailed

you get full content in Mobipocket Reader. when I paste this URL in Feedbooks, it dynamically updates the URL to something which only has partial contents. This is also true of many other feeds (WSJ, NYT, Google News, Slate etc) for which I am able to get full contents using Mobipocket Reader
but Feedbooks generates only partial feeds. I wonder of there is a way to fix this.

Last edited by bchowdhr; 09-01-2008 at 12:18 PM.
bchowdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #49
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Feedbooks only generate what's inside the feeds. If it's a partial feed, we'll generate a partial feed.

Based on what I've tried a few months ago, Mobipocket Reader actually extract content too. I remember than on Techcrunch's feed for example, I ended up with dozens of pages of comments too, while in the feed, there's only the main story.

Extracting content is quite problematic:
- not sure that it's legal for a service to do this without the approval from the content owner (it's quite different from simply displaying what's in the RSS feed)
- it'll take significantly longer and can be a real ressource hog to do this live for hundreds of users at the same time
Old 09-13-2008, 05:46 AM   #50
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I'm having a brunette moment. I tried this once a year ago or so and gave up, and now I'm in the same situation. I have a newspaper. How do I add feeds to it that are already at the Feedbooks website without knowing the URL?

Thanks!
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #51
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Currently, you have to enter the URL of the feed to create a newspaper. I'll refine this in the future and allow on the page of a feed to directly add it to a newspaper.

On the page of a feed, next to the feed's name you have the RSS icon. You'll find a link to the feed on this icon.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #52
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

At least I wasn't missing something obvious Thanks for replying!

I tried The New York Times and it was considerable smaller than the one done by Amazon... I was looking to cancel my subscription, but it looks like the Amazon one is more meaty.

Another question: How do I update the newspaper once it's in the Kindle, and how do I update the Feedbooks ebook downloading file, do I just redownload it or can you update it from the book itself? Thanks!

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-15-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #53
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

The NY Times feed is a partial feed, not a full feed. The Kindle blog subscription isn't using the public feed for the NY Times.

As long as you're not using a private newspaper, you can update the file on the cover (there's a link). Otherwise if you're running Windows, you can use NewsStand: http://www.feedbooks.com/help/newsstand
Old 09-16-2008, 01:38 AM   #54
GatorDeb
Evangelist

How do you delete a newspaper?

Thanks!

P.S. I consider myself pretty computer savvy and I have a lot of trouble finding out how to do stuff in Feedbooks... maybe make it more intuitive or provide more FAQs on how to do stuff?

Thanks again!
Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 AM   #55
GatorDeb
Evangelist

If I subscribe to EVERY single feed at http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/

would I get everything the NYT Kindle Edition has, if not more?

Also, does anyone know if each subsection has different stuff than the main section feed (i.e. the News section has a feed and some subsections with other feed links) or if it's just so that people can pick and choose which parts of the section feed to get?

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #56
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Cant' say for the NY Times, as I don't have a Kindle.

The RSS part is still early in development (unlike the public domain part). We already provide extensive help for some things on the website (http://www.feedbooks.com/help) but the news part will evolve a lot in the future.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:13 AM   #57
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Hadrien, thanks for the great website!

for the news feed section, are you planning to add the support to include pictures? that'll be awesome for us kindle & iliad owners!
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #58
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

That's part of the plan but there's a few issues to deal with first. We have around 10k feeds in our database, and we need to make sure that things would scale with images too. It takes a lot more resources to download both the feed AND images for each of these 10k feeds.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #59
Seant018
Enthusiast
Seant018 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Do you plan on adding support for Mac? I was pretty upset to find that I would have to manually download all my subscriptions

If there is no Mac support, would it be possible to add an option where I can download all my subscriptions in 1 click?

Last edited by Seant018; 03-06-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Seant018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #60
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seant018 View Post
Do you plan on adding support for Mac? I was pretty upset to find that I would have to manually download all my subscriptions

If there is no Mac support, would it be possible to add an option where I can download all my subscriptions in 1 click?
If it's on a Kindle, you can also click on a link on the cover, to wirelessly update the file from your device.

Tags
rss kindle feedbooks