Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
iconeo
iconeo began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro
Question delete old books after adding

After Calibre adds a bunch of books I want it to delete it from the old direcctory. How do I set it up to do this?

Thanks,
Chau
iconeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I don't think it can, and I'm pretty sure it's by design. Since Calibre renames (and modifies?) files as it adds them to the nicely structured directory tree, It MUST do this via a copy or people would be pissed. I certainly don't want a program to automatically rename/move my files without EXPLICIT permission... anyone remember when iTunes used to move and reorganize your library by default? *shakes fist*

EDIT: more accurately I think I should have said, "I don't think it can with a simple preference setting". You COULD probably accomplish this via a small python script wrapped as a plugin

Last edited by Stinger; 05-17-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconeo View Post
After Calibre adds a bunch of books I want it to delete it from the old direcctory. How do I set it up to do this?
By design Calibre will not mess with your source files, but you can do this the old fashioned way. Move the books your going to add to a temp location on your drive. Add them to Calibre make sure their fine then delete the files from the temp location.

Wash, rinse, repeat as needed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconeo View Post
Starson17 noticed that the new (beta) 'open a folder as a device' handles this problem reasonably nicely. Assuming the books are in a reasonably tight folder hierarchy:

1. add the books to calibre.
2. open the folder as a device (will be on the send to device pulldown, 'connect to folder').
3. click the SD card icon to see the contents of the folder. Note that it will show that folder and all subfolders as a single list.
4. sort by the 'In Library' column on the folder device. It will have a checkmark next to those books that it could determine were the same as a book in the library.
5. select the books with the check (they are now together).
6. delete the books. Be sure you are looking at the device library and not the main library.

When you first connect to a folder, books in the folder are matched with those in the library by comparing title and authors, which can take a little while. If you have changed these in the library, then the books won't match and won't have a check. Subsequent connections will use remembered results, and will be faster. Books copies with the 'send to device' button have the same metadata that was in the library at the moment of copy.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
iconeo
iconeo began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro
thanks for the input

thanks for all the input. i went with the temp dir option.
iconeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
adding, calibre, delete