Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
catherine quirk
catherine quirk began at the beginning.

Device: None as yet
Wanting to buy but which?

Hi, I'm confused. I work with an Apple MacBook Pro and had almost decided to buy a Sony ereader. Thank goodness I learned just in time that it is not Mac compatible. I am a real bookaholic and though nothing will ever replace a "real" book, I can see great advantages when travelling etc.
Am not sure where I go from here as Amazon is not making the Kindle available to non-US credit card holders. Can anyone advise? I am SO disappointed. I believe the BeBook might be compatible but have heard lots of negatives about that particular device.
Cath Quirk
catherine quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
While you will not be able to buy ebooks from the Sony Store, the Sony 505 and 700 can be used with a Mac to purchase content from other stores. You might need to activate it once using a windows system to access ADE books. There are many Mac users on this forum who love their Sonys.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Cath and welcome to MobileRead.

Also, there are members here who can buy Sony gift cards for you which you can subsequently use to buy books from the Sony site.

Also, check out all the free books on the site here. Plus there are lots of libraries that now lend out eBooks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Cath -- welcome to MobileRead. Don't let the Mac be a put-off for getting a Sony. The device itself works just fine with the Mac; you can transfer files from the Mac to the Sony PRS-505/700 just fine. You can use Calibre on the Mac to manage your e-Book collection.

You might want to start your research on various devices by looking at E-book_Reader_Matrix in our Wiki.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I'm too slow, but wanted to agree not to give up on the Sony yet-- calibre works on Mac and I know there are mac users who have had great experiences with their sonys! Be sure to check out the proper sony forum and the "which one should I buy" forum to ask any questions you like before purchasing. welcome to the forum!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Ditto, to Grace, Else, et el. The Sony is a great reader and there are all kinds of gurus here at MR who will be more than happy to help. One the nicest welcome comments I received when I joined was that no question is considered stupid.

Welcome!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Hey Catherine, I see someone already pointed towards the reader matrix. I have found this to be a great tool. I have only been at this forum a short time but here are some tips for using the site to shop:

1: Ask lots of questions! Everyone here is really great. Feel free to pm someone if you want more info.

2: Go to the Devices section and look over all your prospects in their specific forums. This will give you a great idea of it's true nature. I.E. is there a lot of problem posts or lots of praise posts.

3: Use the device matrix linked a few posts before this. It will tell you about it's compatibilites and specifications.

4: Keep an eye on the News forum as there is always new news about some devices come out right around the corner that may be worth waiting for.

Hope that helps out a little! Feel free to drop by the lounge if you feel like signing over all your free time to keeping track of the toaster operating otters and their cousins the unutterably silly squirrels!!!
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote