Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Wait for Astak?

Hi,

I'm really thinking in buying a eReader. I've almost decided for the Cybook, though the BeBook seems also interesting. They cost more or less the same. I like to BeBook mainly because it seems to have a more active developers team and community... On the other hand, I really like the dictionary look up feature of the Cybook and the fact it has a better support for mobi ebooks.

Should I wait a couple of months until de Astak readers come out, with better prices and more updated features? Because, at the end, these Astak Mentor readers are very similar, if not the same, to the BeBook in Europe, isn't that so? In that case, maybe it would be wiser to wait a while?

Anyone have a opinion about this?
Thanks!
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I just bought an Astak EZ Reader. These are not the Mentor line, but as far as I know, they are identical to the BeBook. The one I have does not have a dictionary feature, but since that's something I don't use, I don't miss it.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As phenomshel says, the EZ Reader brand is for Hanlin (Jinke) devices sold by Astak and the Mentor brand is for (future) Netronix products sold by Astak. All Robertb's posts are in one huge "Mentor" thread, so confusion is inevitable.

Today, the EZ Reader and BeBook are the same hardware and (for all practical purposes) the same software (firmware). Soon, the EZ Reader will switch to eReader as its DRM provider (same hardware, new software). Most likely, you will still be able to load EZ Reader firmware on any Hanlin and any Hanlin firmware on the EZ Reader.

The new EZ Reader devices will be from Hanlin, so BeBook will presumably have them too. By then, the MOBI vs eReader issue will also presumably be settled. At the moment it seems that Astak will have eReader and all other Hanlin partners will have MOBI, but from the outside it is hard to see why Astek would be singled out by Amazon.

Since all the new devices will have 16 grey shades and the Epson controller, it may be worth waiting a while. At a minimum the differences will be on the same scale as PRS-700 vs PRS-505 or Kindle 2 vs 1.

We know about the Hanlin products, but the current Cybook hardware is made by Netronix and Astak says their Mentor (Netronix) line will role out in March. Bookeen does not have to use Netronix as the source for their next device, but whoever builds it for them it is a good bet that they have a new device in the wings too.

So, if you hate buying a device only to have a new version introduced soon after, I suggest waiting a while. The older devices sometimes come out ok (I think PRS-505 and Kindle 1 are still viable options) but it is nice to know what the latest devices have to offer before deciding.

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-12-2009 at 05:04 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Thanks!
Yes, maybe I'll do that, I'll wait a couple months to see what happens. I guess we are in some kind of transition phase for the ereaders... Maybe soon it would be easier to get some new model, something a bit like the iLiad but at lower price.
Let's see what what BeBook and Bookeen release in the next few months...
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote