Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
reeder
reeder began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Battery Replacement Question

Let me get this straight... Once the battery goes dead, bad, or otherwise fails to hold a charge anymore... is that the end of using this device?

Or can you still continue to read using an AC adapter plugged into the Reader?

I'm very concerned on the longevity of this thing. Are we screwed once the battery stops working?
reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Hi reeder,

In the manual it says something like refer to Sony if and when the battery dies.

There is always a way!

Just spotted some screws on the back so reckon in a few years time I would be very happy to take them off.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
reeder
reeder began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Knowing Sony's customer service, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they say Sorry, or make you pay an outrageous fee for a new battery plus service & labor fees.

I want to know if we can replace the batteries ourselves. What did the people with PRS 500s do with them when they went out?

Thanks for the replies BTW
reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sony has been quote good with service for the reader line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Hi Reeder,

As mentioned, as there are screws on the back, I don't think there will be any problem with replacing the batteries ourselves in a few years time.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
See this thread for more battery replacement information:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22026
also this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8426
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast
Canterbury Tail began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeder View Post
Knowing Sony's customer service, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they say Sorry, or make you pay an outrageous fee for a new battery plus service & labor fees.
In my experience Sony has always had exceptional customer service in all my dealings with them, from repairs on my PS3 to dodgy tube on my Wega television.
Canterbury Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
And yes, you can read when connected to the PSP charger. So if all else fails, that's a valid option as well.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Or use a power monkey or portable AA battery charger.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote