Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2022, 05:26 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Firmware 4.31.19086

Firmware 4.31.19086 has been released.

Automatically posted by kfwproxy.

Last edited by geek1011; 04-15-2022 at 01:54 AM.
geek1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:37 PM   #2
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Release Notes:

Increased Language Support
  • Added Catalan dictionary
  • You can now select Simplified Chinese in Settings > Language and dictionaries
  • Added Pinyin keyboard
  • Added English - Simplified Chinese dictionary

Book Covers on Sleep and Power Off Screen
  • Book covers will now appear on the sleep screen for Fnac customers.
  • Tip: You can hide book covers or make them full screen in Settings > Energy saving and privacy.

Bug Fixes & General Improvements

Elipsa & Sage:
  • Fixed a bug where the zoom preview window for PDFs was not displaying correctly

Sage:
  • Improvements to increase battery life

Last edited by rtiangha; 01-20-2022 at 05:45 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2022, 06:29 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One caution is that this firmware is not totally compatible with NickelMenu. For instance, highlighting will trigger a popup "NickelMenu Could not find the required SelectionMenuView and SelectionMneuController symbols for adding selection menu items (this is a bug)".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:31 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One caution is that this firmware is not totally compatible with NickelMenu. For instance, highlighting will trigger a popup "NickelMenu Could not find the required SelectionMenuView and SelectionMneuController symbols for adding selection menu items (this is a bug)".
I do hope this can be fixed without too much hassle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:33 PM   #5
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do hope this can be fixed without too much hassle.
Since this is disruptive, I'll try and make time to get a fix out tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
NickelMenu v0.5.3

This release fixes the selection_search location on 4.31.19086+.

See the release on GitHub for more details.

Last edited by geek1011; 01-20-2022 at 11:26 PM.
geek1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2022, 06:37 PM   #6
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To make it easier for those who like to sideload, here are the links to the new dictionaries:
Old 01-20-2022, 06:40 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
This release should be going to all devices (except the Mini) and should roll out on the usual schedule.

My notes on the changes in this firmware are:
  • Sideloaded mode (see separate post)
  • Improvements in handwriting performance
  • Catalan dictionary added
  • Simplified Chinese support:
    • Language in UI
    • Three new fonts any of the Chinese languages are selected (after syncing)
    • English - Simplified Chinese dictionary
    • Pinyin keyboard
  • FNAC affiliate now has options for showing the cover
  • Fixes:
    • Crash when opening sideloaded epubs (Adobe OOM issues)
    • Move Notebook section from More view back to the tab widget on the home page when stylus is detected
    • Remove File Size limit when parsing text document. Previously text files over 2MB were ignored.
    • Syncing annotations across devices
    • Timezone database has been updated.

There are probably other things I missed and I will add them as I think of them.

For calibre, the only change is to bump the supported version numbers. I have checked in this change and it should be in the next calibre release. Until then, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option on the driver.

Last edited by davidfor; 01-20-2022 at 06:57 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:50 PM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If this means that KOReader will fail, then this update is a NO for me. Thanks for the heads up.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:57 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sideloaded Mode

In firmware 4.31.19086, Kobo has added "Sideloaded Mode". This is intended for users who cannot connect to a network during the setup. The device will finish initialising and you can signin later. Some function will be missing until you sign in. Once you are in sideloaded mode, it does not force you to sign in and can continue using the device, but, the option is there.

While Kobo has added Sideloaded Mode, it is not intended for continued use. It is intended as a stopgap to get the device working when a network is not available so that sideloaded books can be read. I think that support from Kobo for Sideloaded Mode will be limited. If you have issues, Kobo will most likely ask you to sign in.

Having said that, when in Sideloaded Mode:
  • Almost all syncing behaviour is gone. If you tap the sync icon, it shows a "Sign in" button.
  • WiFi will work and does not force you to sign in when connected.
  • No home screen. The device opens to the book list.
  • The bottom of the screen has "My Books", "Activity" and "More"
  • The "More" tab has:
    • My Articles
    • Beta Features. This has all beta features including the browser.
    • Settings
    • Help
  • Within the Settings, most of the settings are available. The ones missing are one only useful when signed in.
  • Dictionaries can be changed and will be downloaded if WiFi is available.
  • The browser works.
  • Firmware updates can be looked for by using "Check for updates" on the Device information page of the settings.
  • You can authorise the book for Adobe DRM and sign into Pocket.

Overall, the device works without having to sign in and there is no evidence of the shop. The reading experience is unchanged. My testing was on an Aura ONE. I assume that Stylus and handwriting will be fully supported in the devices that support them. I do not know what will happen with audiobook support.

To get into Sideloaded Mode, I signed out of the Kobo account on my Aura ONE. Then I broke my network so that the device could not reach the Kobo server during setup.

When in Sideloaded Mode, the config file had the following entry in the "ApplicationPreferences" section:

Code:
SideloadedMode=true
I do not know what will happen if this is added to a device that is already signed into a Kobo account. And I do no know what will happen if it is removed from a device that is in Sideloaded Mode.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:26 PM   #10
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
If this means that KOReader will fail, then this update is a NO for me. Thanks for the heads up.
Switching into KOReader is fine after upgrade. It's just using NickelMenu with highlighted text actions that throws an error message.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:27 PM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Switching into KOReader is fine after upgrade. It's just using NickelMenu with highlighted text actions that throws an error message.
Great to know, thanks. I do >95% of my reading in KOReader, its welfare is paramount.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:44 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Release Notes:
  • Book covers will now appear on the sleep screen for Fnac customers.
Wow. Only... 5 years after I bought my Aura!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:53 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One issue I've encountered is an inability to page through the Dictionary select pages on my Libra H2O using the buttons. Swipes do work though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:03 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Sage:
Improvements to increase battery life

Well this is certainly good news!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:12 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I don't have KOReader on my Sage which is where I noticed the issue with NickelMenu and highlights. Doing a quick check on my Clara HD and installing the 2022.1 OneClick package, I didn't see any issues with opening KOReader or Plato on my Clara HD though that testing was opening the renderer and then opening a single book.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release