Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Safe to delete cover image files

I remember seeing a post a while ago listing the image files created by the KT when a book is added and which ones were safe to remove. Anyone know where it is? Or can post the info here? Thanks. Time to clean up my image folder a bit.. Want to be able to see covers on some of my more recent ebook installs.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
I remember seeing a post a while ago listing the image files created by the KT when a book is added and which ones were safe to remove. Anyone know where it is? Or can post the info here? Thanks. Time to clean up my image folder a bit.. Want to be able to see covers on some of my more recent ebook installs.
Keep:
- N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed 355 by 530
- N3_LIBRARY_GRID 149 by 233
- N3_LIBRARY_LIST.parsed 60 by 90

delete every other image file.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Yes. If you delete EVERY file there, you get stuck with generic covers, as I just found out the hard way after getting frustrated trying to find the exact 3 files for each of the books currently on my Kobo (because it doesn't bother deleting the .parsed files for items not on the device...).

EDIT: Wonder if there's a way to get it to reprocess everything, short of removing and re-adding? (adding a new book to it, which gets to have its cover, doesn't trigger enough of a processing...)

EDIT 2: Powering off, removing my microSD card, powering on, powering off, reinserting my microSD card, then powering on again doesn't trigger a processing, either.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 02-15-2012 at 01:34 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post
Keep:
- N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed 355 by 530
- N3_LIBRARY_GRID 149 by 233
- N3_LIBRARY_LIST.parsed 60 by 90

delete every other image file.
Thanks. With all the ebooks I have registered in my sqlitedb I'm sure it'll make a significant change in my onboard memory usage. I'll post the difference here.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Xennex1170
Addict

Before Cleaning image folder: 1390MB used
After Cleaning image folder: 973MB used

Dang! 30% of the space I was using was being taken up by images files other than the 3 N3_LIBRARY labeled image files.. The large one was the N3_FULL labeled ones.. Anyone know what that one is for since it took up a large chunk of the space for each book entry?
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Xennex1170
Addict

Before cleaning image folder: 1390MB used
After cleaning image folder: 973MB used

Dang! 30% of the space I was using was files other than the 3 N3_LIBRARY files listed earlier. The largest file for each image group was the N3_FULL.. Anyone know what that file was for since it was so large compared to the others in each group? Do you think it may be the base image file that the others are derived from when first processing so it is more like a 'work' file?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Xennex1170
Addict

Hmm.. My KT feels a bit faster now that I performed that cleaning of my image folder.. Well, at least the search and menu response. Guess it's to be expected when you delete about 3000 files..

Last edited by Xennex1170; 02-15-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Before cleaning image folder: 1390MB used
After cleaning image folder: 973MB used

Dang! 30% of the space I was using was files other than the 3 N3_LIBRARY files listed earlier. The largest file for each image group was the N3_FULL.. Anyone know what that file was for since it was so large compared to the others in each group? Do you think it may be the base image file that the others are derived from when first processing so it is more like a 'work' file?
Because of a related question in another forum, I did some experimenting today.

When you add a new book to the KT, it generates the covers from the first page of the book.

The N3_FULL image has a size of 600*800 and is displayed when the KT is sleeping. I can't prove it, but it would be reasonable to generate this and then generate the others from it. Looking at the quality of them, I am sure this is what happens.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Hmmm, if N3_FULL is used only when the Kobo is off/sleeping, it sounds like it might also be ripe for deletion for users who just display the generic screens instead
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Because of a related question in another forum, I did some experimenting today.

When you add a new book to the KT, it generates the covers from the first page of the book.

The N3_FULL image has a size of 600*800 and is displayed when the KT is sleeping. I can't prove it, but it would be reasonable to generate this and then generate the others from it. Looking at the quality of them, I am sure this is what happens.
Ooh.. I wonder if I will get a generic screen now or perhaps it may generate a new N3_FULL from the epub. I'll have to try that later.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thp1017 View Post
Hmmm, if N3_FULL is used only when the Kobo is off/sleeping, it sounds like it might also be ripe for deletion for users who just display the generic screens instead
Yep, put more books on your KT with visible covers if you don't mind getting a generic screen for when it is off/sleeping. Actually now that I think about it this may be an option for those that have the KT w/ads since they don't get to see the full size book image when it is off or sleeping anyway.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
Xennex1170
Addict

Well, after a bit of testing I have concluded the N3_FULL serves no 'visible' purpose as far as I can tell. My sleep and off mode book covers are fine without that file as well as images for the bookcover in each of the 3 'views' in the library and the home page carousel. My recommendation for those that want to open some space is to remove all 'N3_FULL' labeled files.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #13
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thank you for testing. That's weird. Seems to be that the N3_FULL are completely useless, only wasting space. Maybe they're been used as temp files when a book was transferred to the KT to generate the other pics and then simply forgotten to delete them automatically.

Last edited by Koboyashi; 02-17-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #14
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
Thank you for testing. That's weird. Seems to be that the N3_FULL are completely useless, only wasting space. Maybe they're been used as temp files when a book was transferred to the KT to generate the other pics and then simply forgotten to delete them automatically.
That could well be.. The N3_FULL file is most times more than the sum of the other image files for the book combined.

I've found a bit later that after the cleaning the books that only had a generic cover before now don't have ANY image when the KT goes into sleep or off mode.. Curious.. Used to be you'd still see a generic book cover.