Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
mst
Connoisseur
mst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Fast epub reader for windows XP with history

Which is a fast reader for epub files in windows XP that remembers history? Best would be something similar to sumatra pdf, but for epub files.

I am now using Calibre and its internal e-book viewer, but I find it sometimes glacially slow when opening epub files (up to 60 seconds), while Adobe Digital Editions opens them in 10 seconds, but - unfortunately - does not remember history unless files are organized within Adobe Digital Editions.
mst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Faster
Connoisseur
Faster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS 650
This is what I use. It's freeware. It remembers where you are in the book and when opened without selecting a book it remembers the last book you were reading.

FBReader is an e-book reader for Linux/Windows XP PDA/UMPC/desktop computer. FBReader supports several e-book formats: ePub, fb2, chm, rtf, plucker, etc. Direct reading from zip, tar, gzip and bzip2 archives is also supported.

http://www.fbreader.org/win32/FBReaderSetup-0.12.10.exe
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
mst
Connoisseur
mst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thank you. FBReader has never worked that well for me, perhaps because of the manifold formatting options. IT also sometimes does not open some epub files that have no problems on other viewers.

It seems there really is a scarcity of good epub viewers out there.
mst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
FBReader is fine for most ebook formats, including epub. However, it doesn't support all the features, like CSS. I use it myself and for general reading, it does the job.

You might also install the Sony Reader Library software, even if you don't have a Sony ereader. This software supports epub quite well. The reading mode does a very good emulation of what you would see on the screen of the physical ereader. I particularly like the fullscreen mode that blacks out the Windows desktop.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I did not test startup speed, but see Reading Adobe ePub on the Desktop.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert