Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #1516
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
please could you add a tick box option in settings for the light to only go down to 1% instead of 0% completely off.

by doing this you would in my opinion please all of the people all of the time. which as you will well know is a very rare thing to achieve. but more importantly it should give a satisfactory conclusion/solution for everyone.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #1517
thangbinh
thangbinh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntson View Post
Yes, i added font support Vietnamese.
I can read book with Vietnamese (first image in attachment)
But book title in library, TOC fonts doesn't work properly. (pls see second image in attachment).

How can I change system font, that support Unicode.
copy fonts to fonts folder as this post, you can read title book in vietnam lang

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1514
thangbinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2017, 04:10 AM   #1518
rraod
Bibliophile
rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I loaded all my 14500+ Epub books on Kobo H2O, which took 14GB out of 32GB of the external microSD. This made the device to crawl like a snail. Browsing the books using the book shelf feature is painfully slow.

I compared H2O to my old Nook ST with same library and Nook gave me a faster response.

The firmware needs to be tuned to optimize for a large library to give a snappy operation. Otherwise having an external microSD card serves no purpose.

Another desirable feature on Kobo firmware is support to Cloud. With so many Cloud providers giving large memories (5GB-50GB) free, I could keep the complete library on the cloud, and download only the books I need on to the reader. This will make the device light on resources and perhaps faster.
rraod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #1519
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraod View Post
Another desirable feature on Kobo firmware is support to Cloud. With so many Cloud providers giving large memories (5GB-50GB) free, I could keep the complete library on the cloud, and download only the books I need on to the reader. This will make the device light on resources and perhaps faster.
Pretty sure Kobo's answer to that is, "buy your books from our store, and you can do exactly that."
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #1520
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
When reading comics there is always a white unused space on the sides, so zooming the screen a bit helps get a bigger letters, especially useful for the larger format comics.
So in most cases i need to zoom 2-5 notches. the nuisance i ran into is that whe the +- button is used to zoom it goes up/down for about quarter of the way, and to get to that desired aproximately 2-5 notches one needs to fiddle with the slider, which is a pita to get to the right notch for the picture to be perfect and not cropped.
So my suggestion would be to make +- buttons increase the zoom in 1 notch increments. If faster zooming is needed one can always press in the middle of the bar, so +- in 25% incremets is kind of counter intuitive if you ask me.

Was looking for some unofficial patch that would tweak this, but i wasnt able to find any.So if there is such a thing i would be gratefull if someone pointed me to it. Using H2O older version.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #1521
ponys
ponys began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one/ kindle 8
Horizontal PDF viewing with tab scrolling

This is my favorite feature in Chinese kindle firmware called Duokan. I wish I can have it on kobo. In horizontal view:
1. tap upper part to go to upper part of current page. If already on top, go to the bottom of previous page
2. tap lower part to go to lower part of current page. If already on bottom, go to the top of the next page.
3. for long page, we may tap several times to reach to bottom.

This feature is very useful for pdf with very small font.
ponys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #1522
tiger2wander
tiger2wander began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Here are some of my ideas:
- Support Dropbox, Mega: for people rely on text format notes, documents, design and any kind of common formats. It can be easy to just drop working files to Cloud folder and go with e-reader so everything in sync and easy to work / read on e-reader.
- Support text documents like: reStructured, Markdown.
- A market place or better addons / modules / components / plugins system will growth with custom community made to fit user's need better.
- Support custom dictionaries which can use specified field of study dictionary and wiki. There are many fields need it's own dictionary like information technology, pharmacy ...
- Support more languages and dictionaries. Currently the way to add unofficial dictionary is painful and it is overwrite one of the default dictionary and gone away after system update.
- Read PDF files on Kobo is painful due to position reset every page turn which need to scroll left or right for a while to get it back to aligned content from previous page.

Cheers!
tiger2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #1523
BerserkLeon
BerserkLeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
custom screensaver image(s)!
Even if you have to select just one instead of a folder, it'd be better than nothing.
I realize if you have a cover you don't want to show, you can just disable that. But you can't show your own image, which could be a way to display your personal art or just a really cool image. Book covers don't usually look as neat as some wallpapers, and you could display your interest(s)!
You could even just make an image of the appropriate size with your name and contact info on it, in case you lose your kobo.
BerserkLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #1524
matteo.piccioni
matteo.piccioni began at the beginning.

Support new HEIF format for images.
CBZ comics with this new format will be half sized than now
matteo.piccioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #1525
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo.piccioni View Post
Support new HEIF format for images.
CBZ comics with this new format will be half sized than now
HEIF is heavily patent encumbered with steep licensing costs. Ideally an AV1-based version of webp would have the same technical advantages of HEIF without the legal issues, but that's something that's still in development.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #1526
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Tap Zones

With apologies to Rev Bob and JSWolf, who have already made it clear that it's not important to them, so why should Kobo make the change, I repeat my most desired change:

With the larger width of the Aura One, the four choices for tap zones are not sufficient for those of us who like to tap instead of swipe to change pages. Choices 2 and 3 (reading left to right in settings) have a back page column width that is way too wide to skip over with your thumb if you're holding the reader one-handed on that side; Choice 4 has a page forward bottom third of the screen that is way too low and small for my thumb to easily reach it (it should be at least the bottom two-thirds of the screen). I would ideally like a Choice 5 that is like Choice 1, except that all tap zones, save for bringing up options, are page forward (i.e., you only get to page back by swiping). See attached lousy sketch.

Now that Kobo, in the latest firmware, gives us the choice to choose swiping only or both tapping and swiping, I would love it if they went this one step further. Or, at minimum, significantly decreased the page back column widths in Choices 2 and 3.

My 2 cents. If you don't need it, or want to tell me just to get used to swiping, or want to insist on telling me that one of the existing four options should be satisfactory, please save your breath! (although I know some of you won't.... )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	159388  

Last edited by rogerinnyc; 10-10-2017 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typos
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #1527
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I have noticed that my H2O has two sleep-related issues:

1. If the light is on, it stays on even when I hit the button to enter sleep mode.

2. Even though my settings are configured to sleep at 15 minutes and power off at 30 minutes, it never actually powers off. I usually enter sleep mode by tapping the button, but I don't know if that's a factor. I just know that I can come back hours later, tap the button, and it wakes up rather than booting up.

I'm currently running 4.4.9298, and it did not show this behavior under the previous firmware.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #1528
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I have noticed that my H2O has two sleep-related issues:

1. If the light is on, it stays on even when I hit the button to enter sleep mode.

2. Even though my settings are configured to sleep at 15 minutes and power off at 30 minutes, it never actually powers off. I usually enter sleep mode by tapping the button, but I don't know if that's a factor. I just know that I can come back hours later, tap the button, and it wakes up rather than booting up.

I'm currently running 4.4.9298, and it did not show this behavior under the previous firmware.
#1 is a bug that sometimes showed itself. There's a new firmware 4.6.9965 and that bug is fixed.

#2 I don't know about that. But I suggest trying the new firmware and see if that still is an issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #1529
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

I'm sure this has been requested before, but I really, really want ligatures on kepubs. It's probably the only thing I feel the Kobo is "missing". You can accomplish this with optimizeLegibility, but frankly, it's not a great experience.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:11 AM   #1530
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
On the home screen, the bottom two tiles show about three random books from some selection.

I'd like to long press on one of those and rather than get the section they are from (my books, some category, recommendations, etc.) I'd like to be able to directly open one of the three books it randomly displays.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo