Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Aphugel
Aphugel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problem with collections

Hi there, I've searched high and low, but can't find an answer to the problem I got with my new Kindle.
Software is current, but it does not let me select " Create new Collection" on the home menu, the option is shaded out.
Anyone got an idea what is happening?
Do I need a Wi-Fi connection for it to work?

TIA

Armin
Aphugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
Yes. You need to login to your Amazon account before you can start collections.
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I work with collections with out being connected. But I know you have to have your kindle registered
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can work on your collections without being connected but as has been pointed out, the Kindle has to be registered before you can use collections.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Aphugel
Aphugel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Nope, sorry

it is registered.
At least it says registered on my amazon page....
But then there is this queer bit about registering via wi-fi networks

Do I need a wi-fi network to do something else?
The next wi-fi is 350k away......

cheers

Armin

Last edited by Aphugel; 10-08-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Aphugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Does it say the Kindle is register on the Kindle itself?
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I've seen this problem occur time and time again. As far as I know it can be resolved once you've connected your Kindle via wifi or 3G. Then it should allow you to create collections.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphugel View Post
Nope, sorry

it is registered.
At least it says registered on my amazon page....
But then there is this queer bit about registering via wi-fi networks

Do I need a wi-fi network to do something else?
The next wi-fi is 350k away......

cheers

Armin
what is your Kindle's "name" (top left corner)? if it still says "my kindle" the device itself is not registered. it needs to say e.g: Armin's Kindle (or whatever your amazon account ID is called)

it happened the same to me even though i had orered the kindle back in august. it was attached to my amazon "manage your kindle" page almost immediately despite the fact i received it in september.

when i got it i had the exact same problem, "collections" was greyed out. i had to go find a wifi network to connect to. then Menu->Register your kindle where i had to type in my amazon email and password. its name changed to badger's kindle and "collections" became available.

so yeah, you need to access a wifi network at least once.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collection manager