Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
sphinx666
sphinx666 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
USB Charging

I just received my Sony PRS-600 a couple of days ago. The first day I charged the reader overnight through my laptop. In the morning, I shut my laptop off but left the USB charger plugged in. When I got back in the evening, my reader was completely dead. Yesterday, I tried to charge it a little through the laptop and it seemed to work. Over night I plugged it into my laptop and (I thought) charged it. When I woke up in the morning, someone in my family had shut my laptop down the previous night, so again the USB charger was left in the reader, and it was completely dead. I am now trying to charge the reader at work...

My question is - is that normal, that the reader would just die in a few hours of being "left on"? How do I know once the reader is fully charged?

Thanks for any help...
sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The reader won't charge when connected to a machine which is in standby or hibernation mode --- you have to charge it while the machine is powered up --- indeed, it will discharge as you described, losing all charge. Details on this in the manual.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
stevet
Enthusiast
stevet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600 Touch
Yet another wrinkle in USB charging. I can charge my PRS-600 from the computer, while the computer is on, using the USB charging cable. BUT, I tried it with that same cable plugged into the USB power port on my laptop charger (it has a USB power-only port on the powersupply), it will not charge. I also tried charging using a USB-mini wall wart charger that came with my blackberry. Nothing.

Shouldn't USB power be the same, whether it comes from the computer or some dedicated USB charger? Does anyone know now the PRS-600 knows what it's plugged into, and only lets me charge it from the PC?
stevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Easiest solution: buy a cheap 3rd party charger for the PSP-3001 (the sony hand held video game) the PSP and the PRS-600 use the same charger.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet View Post
Yet another wrinkle in USB charging. I can charge my PRS-600 from the computer, while the computer is on, using the USB charging cable. BUT, I tried it with that same cable plugged into the USB power port on my laptop charger (it has a USB power-only port on the powersupply), it will not charge. I also tried charging using a USB-mini wall wart charger that came with my blackberry. Nothing.

Shouldn't USB power be the same, whether it comes from the computer or some dedicated USB charger? Does anyone know now the PRS-600 knows what it's plugged into, and only lets me charge it from the PC?
This isn't another wrinkle just part of the continuing saga and normal for this reader. Read this post for a more detailed answer and history.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet View Post
Yet another wrinkle in USB charging. I can charge my PRS-600 from the computer... but not from my laptop
Stevet - the problem is that the USB was never intended to be used for high-power devices like hard drives or for recharging equipment. The USB spec says that the port must provide only 500 mA of power. Many computers provide more than that, which is why you can buy those little portable HDs now, but not including an AC charger with the PRS-600 was still a really bad decision on Sony's part.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
Wulf
Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
sphinx666 asked how can he tell when the reader is charged.
Right next to the Power switch there is an LED. When it is charging the LED will be red, when the reader is fully charged, the LED goes out.
About 4 hours will usually fully charge the Sony.

Best of luck!
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
stevet
Enthusiast
stevet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600 Touch
I've noticed the battery gauge on the screen shows full several hours before the red light goes out. I was wondering whether the red light would EVER go out, but I left in on and a couple of hours later it went off.

This is also the case when I'm charging from a PS using the round charging cable.
stevet is offline   Reply With Quote