Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Absolute must-read in the copyright wars

You may be in favor of strict copyright enforcement or hoist the Jolly Roger with pride, but here's a legal case (in Canada) that is a wonderful description of the MAFIAA in action.....

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
You may be in favor of strict copyright enforcement or hoist the Jolly Roger with pride, but here's a legal case (in Canada) that is a wonderful description of the MAFIAA in action.....

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/
Joy to the world!! You just made my whole christmas. The MAFIAA Canada branch is about to have its collective, whining, copyright-moaning arse bitten by the very same laws it's been using against individual filesharers! Oh Joy!!!
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Joy to the world!! You just made my whole christmas. The MAFIAA Canada branch is about to have its collective, whining, copyright-moaning arse bitten by the very same laws it's been using against individual filesharers! Oh Joy!!!
i certainly hope so. the hypocrisy is enough to turn your stomach.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 12-07-2009 at 11:28 AM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
After years of claiming Canadian consumers disrespect copyright, the irony of having the recording industry face a massive lawsuit will not be lost on anyone
...except the recording industy
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
...except the recording industy
Couldn't agree more. Now when are these dinosaurs going to die, I'm still waiting for theirs and the publishing industries complete and total collapse.
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
60 billion plus putative damages constitutes a little more that a bite on the bum...

This sure isn't going to help their copyright lobbying in Canada....

May the "legal ghost" of Jammie Thomas haunt them for Christmas....
Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I have to say, while I appreciate the irony and exposure of hypocrisy, I really don't see how this is a criticism of copyright per se. If anything, this is an argument in favor of copyright, as the aggrieved artists are using copyright laws in order to redress numerous contract/copyright violations by the music industry.

True, the recording industry frequently cites copyright as the mechanism by which they protect artists' content, has pushed for excessively punitive laws, and has flailed blindly during the transition to digital. But even if copyright laws were significantly relaxed, there's a good chance the record companies would find some other loophole to exploit. The root issue is the record companies allegedly violating their contracts, not abusing copyright. I see no particular indication that whatever system replaces the record labels will necessarily result in artists being treated any better, or that the people involved will act in a more ethical fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSE
May the "legal ghost" of Jammie Thomas haunt them for Christmas....
What does she have to do with this?

I mean, she's not a great poster girl in the "copyright wars" anyway. She did nothing to support the artists whose work she distributed in an infringing manner; two juries have concluded that she egregiously lied in her denials of culpability. She also had numerous opportunities (and still does) to settle for a smaller sum, and apparently refuses to settle. The laws may be too strict and the judgment outlandish in her case, but she's not exactly an innocent victim who is pure of heart or intent.

By the way, it's pretty well known that the record industry (and labels both large and small) frequently indulges in shenanigans like this -- and apparently the movie industry is even worse. AFAIK this type of conduct is far less prevalent in book publishing though.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I have to say, while I appreciate the irony and exposure of hypocrisy, I really don't see how this is a criticism of copyright per se. If anything, this is an argument in favor of copyright, as the aggrieved artists are using copyright laws in order to redress numerous contract/copyright violations by the music industry.
You don't see the problem with their liability being twice their global yearly turnover? This has the possibility to break them, just as they've used statutory damages to break people.

And at this point, let em burn.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
You don't see the problem with their liability being twice their global yearly turnover? This has the possibility to break them, just as they've used statutory damages to break people.

And at this point, let em burn.
I will be there roasting marshmallows on the fire!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Then they'll taste like lawyers. Ewww.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

True, the recording industry frequently cites copyright as the mechanism by which they protect artists' content, has pushed for excessively punitive laws, and has flailed blindly during the transition to digital. But even if copyright laws were significantly relaxed, there's a good chance the record companies would find some other loophole to exploit. The root issue is the record companies allegedly violating their contracts, not abusing copyright. I see no particular indication that whatever system replaces the record labels will necessarily result in artists being treated any better, or that the people involved will act in a more ethical fashion.

What does she have to do with this?

I mean, she's not a great poster girl in the "copyright wars" anyway. She did nothing to support the artists whose work she distributed in an infringing manner; two juries have concluded that she egregiously lied in her denials of culpability. She also had numerous opportunities (and still does) to settle for a smaller sum, and apparently refuses to settle. The laws may be too strict and the judgment outlandish in her case, but she's not exactly an innocent victim who is pure of heart or intent.

By the way, it's pretty well known that the record industry (and labels both large and small) frequently indulges in shenanigans like this -- and apparently the movie industry is even worse. AFAIK this type of conduct is far less prevalent in book publishing though.

The Corporations involved have had both the time (over 20 years) and the resources to have prevented this situation. They want more and more Draconian controls, lobby left and right to get longer and longer copyright extensions, litigate people with no hope of meaningful recovery (because they have nothing to seize) - all in the name of "protecting the creative artists", whom they are cheerfully robbing of their small royalties. These are the people to whom we should look to for fair and equitable answers to copyright issues?

Life + 50 to Life + 70 doesn't benefit one creative artist - by definition. Dead people don't create! But corporation keep milking and milking and milking....
Old 12-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I love the taste of lawyer in the morning....wait...no..that came out all wrong
Old 12-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Feed 'em to the lobbyists. They'll eat anything.....

(I'll offer 1000 liters of petrol (gasoline)....)
Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Feed 'em to the lobbyists. They'll eat anything.....

(I'll offer 1000 liters of petrol (gasoline)....)
I'll bring the matches, the sparklers and the warm hats!!! It'll be like Guy Fawlkes night again! Whooppee!!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #15
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Quote:
And I will be dancing around their grave! If this works, it shall truly be a joyous day.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote