Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Kindle offers remote kill switch for text-to-speech function?

Yesterday one of our members reported that Amazon has began to disable the text-to-speech (TTS) feature of the Kindle on a book-by-book basis. Today I read in the news that apparently Amazon can go even so far as to remotely disable the TTS function of these books already stored on your personal device.

Meredith Filak writes on her blog:

Quote:
Update, 13 May: Beginning yesterday, Random House Publishers began to disable text-to-speech remotely. The TTS function has apparently been remotely disabled in over 40 works so far. Affected titles include works by Toni Morrison, Stephen King, and others. Other notable titles include Andrew Meachem's American Lion, and five of the top ten Random House best-sellers in the Kindle store. As a former English major, a teacher, and a lover of books, I can't see how anyone can justify eroding access to popular and classic literature.]
Beside the fact that it's probably not very difficult to enable TTS again (not with Amazon's or the publisher's blessing of course), the question needs to be asked if Amazon has the legal right to remotely change files on your Kindle device aimed at decreasing its functionality.

Can anyone confirm that there is indeed a remote switch?

[via /.]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Yesterday one of our members reported that Amazon has began to disable the text-to-speech (TTS) feature of the Kindle on a book-by-book basis. Today I read in the news that apparently Amazon can go even so far as to remotely disable the TTS function of these books already stored on your personal device.

Meredith Filak writes on her blog:

Beside the fact that it's probably not very difficult to enable TTS again (not without Amazon's or the publisher's blessing of course), the question needs to be asked if Amazon has the legal right to remotely change files on your Kindle device aimed at decreasing in functionality.

[via /.]

The very fact (if true) that Amazon is doing this makes the Kindle a machine that is getting closer to a "1984" scenario - Big Brother is indeed watching and dictating....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
And this is why I don't like wireless devices
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
What's wrong with the device's ability to read text aloud?
Did I miss something?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Did I miss something?
The Authors Guild threw a fit about it because they think it will effect the licensing agreements they have with distributors with regards to audio books. It's basically a fight over money between the authors/publishers and distributors. The consumers just got caught in the crossfire.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I cannot confirm this. My copy of "The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death", which is suppoedly now TTS disabled, still has TTS on my copy on my Kindle. Turning on wireless and doing a sync did not download a new copy nor change my existing copy in any way.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Should concerned Kindle owners immediately back up all Random House titles onto a PC to preserve this function? Then reload as needed onto the Kindle - hopefully when your Whispernet is off?

This seems analogous to reports I've read here (and elsewhere) that Amazon removes a text from your Kindle that you have requested a refund for - without telling you.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I think a device's ability to read text is nothing like an audio book.
Text read by a computer still has errors, doesn't sound as good as a real person, and can't be applied to books with images, mathemathical formula's, so is restricted in many ways.

I would say there's no valid ground to disable the speech function off kindles, as you could download an ebook at home, and use a L&H speech decoder, or whatever text to speach decoder for free, and listen to the book that way.

I do think that decoding text requires more cpu and battery life. The battery life is pretty limited on ebook readers for functions like that and listening to mp3's.

Aw well, I hope Bebook or other far away Asian manufacturer will get such functions in their ebooks and on the market (ebay for instance), so we could have it.
It seems those asian markets don't really bother with European and US copyrights/licences.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I cannot confirm this. My copy of "The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death", which is suppoedly now TTS disabled, still has TTS on my copy on my Kindle. Turning on wireless and doing a sync did not download a new copy nor change my existing copy in any way.
This of course does not rule out that they have a kill switch, that they can activate.. It just means it isn't active right now.

Man I hate DRM...
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
This of course does not rule out that they have a kill switch, that they can activate.. It just means it isn't active right now.
Again, I think Meredith's claim is just bogus. Amazon has turned off TTS on those books for new downloads, as we always knew would happen, but there is NO evidence that they've "remotely" disabled it on previously downloaded copies.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Again, I think Meredith's claim is just bogus. Amazon has turned off TTS on those books for new downloads, as we always knew would happen, but there is NO evidence that they've "remotely" disabled it on previously downloaded copies.
Guess we'll have to wait and see. I sure hope they don't.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The easiest way to implement a "remote kill" is for Amazon to redownload the ebook with the TTS flag record included in the metadata. I have never heard of Amazon doing this, and I have heard of cases where an author updated an ebook and Amazon told them they could not push the corrected ebook to existing owners.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
As long as no one here at Mobileread can confirm this story then I'm inclined to agree with sirbruce.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Would removing DRM from the file, prevent Amazon from being able to identify and change it?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
kamm
Zealot
kamm doesn't litterkamm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Did I miss something?
Nothing, it's fine sd long as you can turn it off.

OTOH cell systems like trunk radios - you are only safe form evesdropping etc if you take off the battery...
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote