Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Spring Design Alex

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
DIM EPD on Alex

Whatever source format I choose, the E-paper display (EPD) is a bit "dimmer" than on other readers.
As we've seen on other readers, this very well may be due to the fonts they use. But text seems more brightly/"thinner" than on other readers.
Contrast on nook for example seems a bit better.
That's pretty obvious for their user manual, which uses blue text. But it's more or less the same for every ePUB I've tried. It's readable, but in direct comparison, nook or BeBook Neo is "way easier on the eyes".
Anyone experiencing the same?

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-04-2010 at 02:49 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I'm not having any problem with the contrast on mine, although if somebody wants to create font hacks for it I'd like the Georgia font, please.

When I compared my Kindle, Nook and Alex side-by-side a week or so ago there wasn't an appreciable difference other than the fonts. I can't re-do the comparison now because my Nook is on it's way back to a Barnes & Noble center in Houston to be replaced.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I'm not having any problem with the contrast on mine, although if somebody wants to create font hacks for it I'd like the Georgia font, please.

When I compared my Kindle, Nook and Alex side-by-side a week or so ago there wasn't an appreciable difference other than the fonts. I can't re-do the comparison now because my Nook is on it's way back to a Barnes & Noble center in Houston to be replaced.
Hmm, on mine it's quite obvious.
Perfectly readable. On its own, no problem. But if you're aware of other reader's contrast or do a direct comparison...
Sony 300 has a very high contrast. Is your Alex really identical to your Sony 300? Then I guess, mine has a (minor) defect.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Sony 300 text actually looks lighter than the other 3, but not enough to really bother me.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
My Sony 300 text actually looks lighter than the other 3, but not enough to really bother me.
Thanks. I guess, it's all relative and in the eye of the beholder. I find Sony 300's text one of the darkest of my readers...
Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

Confirmed: Slightly lower contrast

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/gadg...ook-Reader.htm
"Alex's font is a bit lightweight for my tastes, and the display thus seems a tad weaker on the contrast due to the font."
Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

I want a nice, chubby Georgia font for my Alex. Fat Fonts Forever!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Lomedin
Misanthrope
Lomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Spring Design 6.S Alex DSB-10
I have to admit that I don´t own any other eReader, although I find the EPD a bit dim indeed - compared to real books in general. It seems to need a fair amount of light so one can read properly
Lomedin is offline   Reply With Quote