Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #886
n3rd4i
n3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to behold

Device: Amazon Kindle Keyboard
I love the new interface with squares! (i have kindle 3)
Thank you guys so much!
n3rd4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #887
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rd4i View Post
I love the new interface with squares! (i have kindle 3)
Thank you guys so much!
On behalf of ixtab: "Your welcome"
(ixtab did the Java magic that displays the squares)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #888
n3rd4i
n3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to behold

i think i will write a how to guide to manage kindle as a secondary screen, but i dont know where to put it. because ive changed the default vnc menu to support 2 modes:
wifi mode
wired mode
basically sets up 2 menu items in KUAL for VNC for the 2 modes
any idea where to put it?
ive used ThightVNC + laptop extended view mode + vnc for kindle +kual 2.0
Old 06-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #889
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i think i will write a how to guide to manage kindle as a secondary screen, but i dont know where to put it. because ive changed the default vnc menu to support 2 modes:
wifi mode
wired mode
basically sets up 2 menu items in KUAL for VNC for the 2 modes
any idea where to put it?
ive used ThightVNC + laptop extended view mode + vnc for kindle +kual 2.0
Two choices that occur to me:

Add it to the forum as a thread with a "HowTo" prefix
Or
Add it to the wiki as a "HowTo" article

In either case, you can add links to it in our Master Index.

One note:
The MR wiki supports translated pages, this forum does not.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #890
antithesis
Avid reader
antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle DX White
Quote:
Originally Posted by fijimunkii View Post
My problem is I can't load up KUAL without having my time already set. I'm getting "The permissions to open the requested title have an invalid date" error.
As a Kindle DX user outside the US, I'm getting this error as well.

I think that if I took more time, I'd figure out how to SSH into the device, but the fact of the matter is that I don't have much time on my hand, and I find SSH'ing a lot of hassle for a task as simple as changing the date (I don't know what else I'll be using SSH for either).

I've been thinking, maybe we could figure out an easier way to install KUAL for people outside the Whispernet area who don't want to get their hands dirty with SSH. I figured that it complains about the date, because the "last accessed" and "last modified" dates are, according to the device, in the future, because the DX thinks it's 1970. I have no clue why it would be so picky or how that is even relevant for running the file, but it's what the error message suggests.

I tried changing those dates to 1970 using both Linux and Windows utilities, and those utilities work, but when disconnecting and reconnecting the device, you'll see that it just resets the date to what it was before. Likewise, the error reoccurs. It seems that the DX resets those dates as soon as it's unplugged.

Where to go from here:
  • First of all, figure out whether or not changing those dates will have any impact in the first place. The error message also states something about permissions (which I've set to 777). What does it mean?
  • If the device indeed resets the dates on disconnect, perhaps it stores a backup of the metadata somewhere. If only we could find out where, and edit that.

I'll dig into this further, but for now, any help would be appreciated.
antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #891
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesis View Post
As a Kindle DX user outside the US, I'm getting this error as well.

I think that if I took more time, I'd figure out how to SSH into the device, but the fact of the matter is that I don't have much time on my hand, and I find SSH'ing a lot of hassle for a task as simple as changing the date (I don't know what else I'll be using SSH for either).

I've been thinking, maybe we could figure out an easier way to install KUAL for people outside the Whispernet area who don't want to get their hands dirty with SSH. I figured that it complains about the date, because the "last accessed" and "last modified" dates are, according to the device, in the future, because the DX thinks it's 1970. I have no clue why it would be so picky or how that is even relevant for running the file, but it's what the error message suggests.

I tried changing those dates to 1970 using both Linux and Windows utilities, and those utilities work, but when disconnecting and reconnecting the device, you'll see that it just resets the date to what it was before. Likewise, the error reoccurs. It seems that the DX resets those dates as soon as it's unplugged.

Where to go from here:
  • First of all, figure out whether or not changing those dates will have any impact in the first place. The error message also states something about permissions (which I've set to 777). What does it mean?
  • If the device indeed resets the dates on disconnect, perhaps it stores a backup of the metadata somewhere. If only we could find out where, and edit that.

I'll dig into this further, but for now, any help would be appreciated.
There are two "times" in Linux -
The "system time" - something stored in the software;
The "hardware time" - stored in the hardware;

You have to re-set the date/time in the hardware clock to have any lasting effect. The utility for that is, aptly: hwclock
man hwclock
will give you the details (on a Linux system with manuals or in a web-search engine).

On the DX you have two choices -
Re-set the hardware clock from the 3G access point, or
Re-set the hardware clock yourself.

PS: you don't **have** to "mess with ssh"
The USBnetworking package also installs the telnetd server -
Just telnet in over the USB cable after installing the package, no username/password required.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #892
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I vaguely remember someone bundling a very simple update script that did just that, date/hwclock mangling, but that was a long time ago, so you're probably better off doing it yourself over ssh/telnet .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #893
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I vaguely remember someone bundling a very simple update script that did just that, date/hwclock mangling, but that was a long time ago, so you're probably better off doing it yourself over ssh/telnet .
Just what I was about to suggest. Make an update.bin which sets the system date to (for instance) Jun 30, 2013, and syncs the hardware clock to it. Should be a matter of 5 minutes if one knows the correct commands to execute (no, I don't know them off the top of my head).

I assume that the problem arises because of the developer certificate, which has a "begin" date probably some time in 2011 or 2012.

But yeah, ultimately it's probably still faster to install usbnetwork and to do this via SSH.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #894
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Should be a matter of 5 minutes if one knows the correct commands to execute (no, I don't know them off the top of my head).
I have set the time on my PW by using terminal and command 'date'
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...16#post2475416
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #895
n3rd4i

finished the tutorial

Hi, i've edited an topic of how to setup youre own kindle as a secondary monitor
I've used:
- Windows 7
- Kindle 3 keyboard
- KUAL 2.0
- vncviewer

HowTo:_Use_Kindle_as_secondary_monitor
Old 06-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #896
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I assume that the problem arises because of the developer certificate, which has a "begin" date probably some time in 2011 or 2012.
Sounds likely to me also.
After all, what computer doesn't have the date-time set correctly in the 21st century?

If you can get KUAL installed and running, there is a ntpdate button to set the hardware / software date-time from the public ntp networks.
Without 3G available, the DX would have to get its network connectivity over the USBnetwork cable.

Set the date-time more recent than the certificate start date-time:
(MMDDhhmmCCyy)
Code:
date -u -s 063012002012
hwclock --systohc

Last edited by knc1; 06-30-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #897
n3rd4i

Regarding KUAL 2.0

Hi,
I question i have regarding the new KUAL is that there is possible to generate the new menu entry dynamically, after searching in some directory after files:

Lets say i use GNUBoy and i would like to have a directory called "ROMS"
In this directory i store my files.

I whould like a menu entry in KUAL to have dynamically created a menu command for every file in my ROMS folder. So that when i select from KUAL menu list a game, the GNUBoy would start with that ROM file.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #898
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hi,
I question i have regarding the new KUAL is that there is possible to generate the new menu entry dynamically, after searching in some directory after files:

Lets say i use GNUBoy and i would like to have a directory called "ROMS"
In this directory i store my files.

I whould like a menu entry in KUAL to have dynamically created a menu command for every file in my ROMS folder. So that when i select from KUAL menu list a game, the GNUBoy would start with that ROM file.
Should be fairly easy to write such a script to create the KUAL button for a list of 'found' files.

Let us know if you have any trouble writing that script.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #899
antithesis
Avid reader
antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle DX White
The thing is that SSH is not, in fact, as easy as installing a .bin and telnetting into the device to me. I keep getting these symptoms (except for the part where the issue fixed itself; I'm not that fortunate): after explicitly setting the IP address with "#ip address add 192.168.2.2 dev usb0", I can ping the device, but after I use the telnet command, I get a "connection refused" and the network becomes unreachable afterward (even with ping). Using putty keeps the network intact, but still returns "connection refused".
antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #900
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@antithesis: AFAIR, netwatchd explicitly doesn't do anything over USB and/or port 22. I've never run into any trouble on my k2i (which runs 2.5.8, same thing as a DX, IIRC) [Over SSH, that is, can't speak for telnet, though, I never use it for more than a couple seconds].

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-30-2013 at 09:57 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified