Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
possible?

My wife is off to Europe, is it possible to email, using her new Arc, from there?
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Don't see why not. As long as there is a wifi connection
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

OK there is a WiFi connection at hotel, so how is the email message paid for?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
OK there is a WiFi connection at hotel, so how is the email message paid for?
If there is free WiFi at the hotel, the email is "free". Counts as "data usage" but super low unless you send an attachment like photos or music etc. with it.
If the WiFi is free, no charge for the data...She can send and receive as many as she wants.

You generally have to "connect" to the Wifi through the settings and once connected go to the web browser and launch a web page. The hotel Wifi page appears (instead of the page you asked for) and then you input the account info (can be different depending on hotel) or just accept the Terms and Conditions and then you're on...
The hotel lobby will be able to help or to supply a phone number for support if she needs it.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-06-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Senior
Zealot

Many thanks, this WiFi stuff is all new to me
Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Senior
Zealot

I was talking to Kobo and I will require an international wall charger. The wall plugs in the part of Europe she will travel in are 220v 60 cycles, and this must be reduced to 110v and then appear at Arc as 2 amp 5 volts. Kobo does not have these and I have not seen any in my search thus far. I was also told it must have a 4 prong plug.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
I was talking to Kobo and I will require an international wall charger. The wall plugs in the part of Europe she will travel in are 220v 60 cycles, and this must be reduced to 110v and then appear at Arc as 2 amp 5 volts. Kobo does not have these and I have not seen any in my search thus far. I was also told it must have a 4 prong plug.
Where in Europe uses a 4 prong plug?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Surely it's easiest just to get a travel adapter to convert the 240 V to 120 V; check the Source.

Also many small wall chargers are self adjust for input voltage and frequency; if the Kobo one is like that all that is needed is a convertor that has a plug matching the country she is travelling to, and a North American socket.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
I have found that every phone charger I plug in works to charge my kobo arc from .5 amp to 1 amp to the kobo provided 2 amp. The only difference is the length of time it takes to charge. If worst comes when you are over here you can buy a charger for a couple of quid to do the job. I usually charge mine from a USB port on my laptop or an old phone charger both of which only deliver .5 amps. Fear not, charging is not a problem. The biggest problem with kobo seems to be the lack of knowledge of their customer service.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Senior
Zealot

OK sounds good, she is going to Israel, and I likely copied down that 4 prong wrong. The adapter sounds great and it is reassuring that she can get one other there is it comes to that. Many thanks.

I mentioned in another thread that she was going to exchange her Arc for a Nexus and she did go back to Chapters, who sold both, and they had her play with the Nexus. I was surprised when she came home with the Arc. She said the Nexus was very similar to use and had no clear advantage over the Arc. The shortfalls she saw in the Arc where also in the Nexus. Then the big difference (for her) was the Arc had by far the nicest screen, especially the colours. She is now becoming more familiar with the Arc and has even started rearranging the home screen to her likings. Looks like we will stay a 3 Kobo family.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
OK sounds good, she is going to Israel, and I likely copied down that 4 prong wrong. The adapter sounds great and it is reassuring that she can get one other there is it comes to that. Many thanks.

I mentioned in another thread that she was going to exchange her Arc for a Nexus and she did go back to Chapters, who sold both, and they had her play with the Nexus. I was surprised when she came home with the Arc. She said the Nexus was very similar to use and had no clear advantage over the Arc. The shortfalls she saw in the Arc where also in the Nexus. Then the big difference (for her) was the Arc had by far the nicest screen, especially the colours. She is now becoming more familiar with the Arc and has even started rearranging the home screen to her likings. Looks like we will stay a 3 Kobo family.
See! I told you so, ! The things she saw as problems on the Arc are basically the same on the Nexus... They were software related and due to her needing to learn the OS, not hardware related...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Senior
Zealot

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...NfRfpbHRD_BVxT

If I did this correctly the address takes you to a picture of the wall outlets in Israel which is indeed 4 prong.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...NfRfpbHRD_BVxT

If I did this correctly the address takes you to a picture of the wall outlets in Israel which is indeed 4 prong.
Nope. Takes you to a picture of two people in sweaters hugging.

http://www.adaptelec.com/images/plug...-socketfit.jpg are images for various socket configurations around the world (including Israel's, 3rd from the right in the bottom row).

Last edited by JD Gumby; 01-20-2013 at 02:38 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Can you access Netflix on the Arc?
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alans View Post
Can you access Netflix on the Arc?
Yes, it's available in the Play Store.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote