Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
willis291
willis291 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'll probably end up repacking simple_ss or porting ss, it's just not at the top of my TODO list right now .
Oh FABULOUS! I can't wait! I had custom wallpapers for the Kindle keyboard until my screen broke. Spent some time figuring out how to transfer pictures using SSH, but it certainly would be nice to have the ease of use that simply dropping into a folder provides, not to mention the custom wallpapers for the new screen resolution that people will start making once there's a simple way to put them on your PW
willis291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #17
fordag
fordag began at the beginning.

I received my KPW 5.2.0 today and the only thing I really want to change is the screensaver images. I managed to jailbreak the device with no issue. I don't know enough about usbnet to mess with it, I haven't touched a unix box since '96.

I attempted to install simple_screensaver_1.0 but after copying the file to the Kindle directory on my Windows 7 machine and unmounting and unplugging the KPW. The update device button remains greyed out. Just to see if I was screwing it up I tried to install usbnet the same way and it installed just fine, leaving a new folder on the device. I then uninstalled usbnet. The usbnet folder was still on the device after that and I manually deleted it.

So is there a workaround for installing custom screensavers on KPW that does not involve usbnet for those of us who don't feel qualified to use it? As Clint said - "a man's got to know his limitations."

I admit to being a total noob on this, any help is appreciated even if it is simply to let me know I'll have to be patient until someone gets around to doing the work. Someone who I would be more than happy to give a donation to...

Also I'll submit the screensavers I've made over on http://kindlewallpapers.tumblr.com/

Update: Seems that kindlewallpapers hasn't been updated in over a year.
http://kindlescreens.tumblr.com/ hasn't been updated in a couple of months either and unless I'm missing some those are the two main kindle screensaver blogs on Tumblr. Anyone know another Tumblr page for them?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by fordag; 10-24-2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: new info
fordag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #18
fordag

How do you simply delete a post?...

Last edited by fordag; 10-24-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordag View Post
How do you simply delete a post?...
You don't, not at this website.
You can post a single smilie, many of them have more than the five character minimum.

As you have probably read the posts above your own first post by now -
You know that the custom screen savers for the Kpw are not ready yet.

Last edited by knc1; 10-24-2012 at 09:30 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
fordag

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You don't, not at this website.
You can post a single smilie, many of them have more than the five character minimum.

As you have probably read the posts above your own first post by now -
You know that the custom screen savers for the Kpw are not ready yet.

Ahh, when you mouse over the edit button it pops up edit/delete, so I figured I was missing something.

That was the impression I had gotten. Ok so I'll just check back here periodically. Thanks for answering my question.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #21
PDiesel
PDiesel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, v 5.2.0
Question Instructions for installing the Paperwhite Screensaver Hack?

Hello forum, I'm wondering if you can help me out here. I consider myself a "Techie Jr." and can usually figure things out but I'm having a hard time with this one. I have already jailbroken my Paperwhite and was wondering if someone can post a "Installing and using the Screensaver Hack For Dummies"?

On every forum related to this topic I visit I see people talking about stuff like "/usr/share/blanket/screensaver/" but after jailbreaking my Paperwhite, I don't see this path in any of the folders when I connect the device to my computer. A step by step guide would be greatly appreciated and if there were a couple of screen caps included, that would be even more awesome! I'm asking the members from this forum specifically because it seems like there are users here who have already figured out the workaround for adding additional images to the beloved Paperwhite. Thanks for any help you can provide. :
PDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:24 AM   #22
Leir
Enthusiast
Leir began at the beginning.

I was wondering, will a custom screensaver hack work with a Kindle Paperwhite with special offers? Can the advertisement on the sleep/wake screen be overwritten with a custom screensaver? I'm not trying to bypass the advertisement completely, just want to look at a custom screensaver whenever i turn on my kindle so that it feels more "personal".
Leir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #23
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leir View Post
I was wondering, will a custom screensaver hack work with a Kindle Paperwhite with special offers? Can the advertisement on the sleep/wake screen be overwritten with a custom screensaver? I'm not trying to bypass the advertisement completely, just want to look at a custom screensaver whenever i turn on my kindle so that it feels more "personal".
Yes, that's what I did manually. I wanted to justify $40 bucks spent on a new magnetic cover and removed the advertisement from the sleep screen to fully utilize the wake-up feature. The little banner which I actually like keeps running on the home screen.

So it definitely *can* be implemented in a GUI hack. We'll see.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #24
Leir
Enthusiast
Leir began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksor View Post
Yes, that's what I did manually. I wanted to justify $40 bucks spent on a new magnetic cover and removed the advertisement from the sleep screen to fully utilize the wake-up feature. The little banner which I actually like keeps running on the home screen.

So it definitely *can* be implemented in a GUI hack. We'll see.
Thanks for replying! I thought that it would be a taboo and sensitive subject, and no one would reply. Have you succeeded in doing so? If so, please do share
Leir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #25
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Thanks for replying! I thought that it would be a taboo and sensitive subject, and no one would reply. Have you succeeded in doing so? If so, please do share
It's not what you would call "encouraged". I'll leave that "out there".

*scurries away rapidly*
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #26
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
If you don't want to risk ending up with a nice shiny brick, it is wiser to stay away from ghetto hacks and wait for the proper mod to get released, especially when one of the greatest developers promised to look into it a few posts above.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #27
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
If you don't want to risk ending up with a nice shiny brick, it is wiser to stay away from ghetto hacks and wait for the proper mod to get released, especially when one of the greatest developers promised to look into it a few posts above.
The "ghetto hacks" to which you refer tend to be those that you install with a runme.sh script (or manually from SSH). They tend to be less well-tested than the ones packaged for "Update Your Kindle" installation. Even worse is that the ghetto hacks can easily be installed on a kindle that they are not designed for, causing interesting problems (perhaps including bricking the device). UYK update install packages are much safer.

"Ghetto hacks" are fine for people who understand what they are doing (especially BEFORE a signed update exists) but they need the skill to understand exactly what they are doing and why, to avoid creating problems that they do not know how to solve.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #28
Hallyster61
Hallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DX Graphite and Paperwhite
Red face Stuck at this point

Quote:
For the time being I've replaced the default screensavers in /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/ manually, works fine.

The files must be in .png format, 758x1024 in size, and follow the naming convention of 'bg_medium_ss00.png', 'bg_medium_ss01.png', and so on.
I had no problem in reaching this directory, but I just can't change the files permission for deleting them and be able to upload my images.
It's a long time for me since I last used Unix commands, so forgive me if this is a stupid question but... How you did it?

Thanks

SOLVED
I knew it was my stupidity... (mntroot rw)... Sorry

Last edited by Hallyster61; 10-29-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Hallyster61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #29
Excrucibo
Excrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 5.2.0 WiFi + 3G
I ran into some problems with usbnet last night.
I won't chance it, so I'll just wait for a custom screensaver.
Excrucibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Excrucibo: What kind of problems?

I'm having a crappy couple of weeks, so, while I *will* work on this at some point, right now, unless someone manages to bottle me some free time, can't really give an ETA .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-30-2012 at 01:29 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote