Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Losing Wedding Ring Less Stressful Than Losing Mobile Device

"There's no disputing that travelers are infinitely more connected -- to work, to friends, to family, to the Twitter followers they've never met -- than just a few years ago.

But just how connected are they? And how does it change their travels?

A new survey by Intel Corp. found that travelers had an emotional bond with their mobile devices to the point of feeling calmer and less stressed when they could tap into their technology while vacationing. Almost half of U.S. travelers admitted they felt anxious traveling without a mobile computing device.

Among young adults, 87 percent actually reported they felt happier when traveling with their devices. Respondents to the 2,500-person survey even ranked losing their mobile computing device as more stressful than losing their wedding ring (77 percent verus 55 percent). The only thing more stressful than losing a mobile device was losing a wallet.

"We found a stark contrast in the way people used to travel and the way they travel today," said Mike Fard, Intel ambassador, which means he translates technology concepts for the less-savvy. "They have an increased expectation of what technology can do and to always being connected."

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/travele...5#.T-LburXwup1

has someone invented a word for technology-induced mental illness yet?
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
AdvertSurvey by Intel Corp finds that people are happier when using devices made by Intel Corp. I'm shocked...

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm not quite getting what the survey "proves." The respondents apparently think losing a wallet is even more stressful, but I don't think that indicates they're fanatically devoted to some hunk of vinyl or leather.

I don't consider myself overly attached to tech, but, yeah, I'd stress out big time about losing a device because of the hassle and expense of replacing the lost data.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
"There's no disputing that travelers are infinitely more connected -- to work, to friends, to family, to the Twitter followers they've never met -- than just a few years ago.

But just how connected are they? And how does it change their travels?

A new survey by Intel Corp. found that travelers had an emotional bond with their mobile devices to the point of feeling calmer and less stressed when they could tap into their technology while vacationing. Almost half of U.S. travelers admitted they felt anxious traveling without a mobile computing device.

Among young adults, 87 percent actually reported they felt happier when traveling with their devices. Respondents to the 2,500-person survey even ranked losing their mobile computing device as more stressful than losing their wedding ring (77 percent verus 55 percent). The only thing more stressful than losing a mobile device was losing a wallet.

"We found a stark contrast in the way people used to travel and the way they travel today," said Mike Fard, Intel ambassador, which means he translates technology concepts for the less-savvy. "They have an increased expectation of what technology can do and to always being connected."

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/travele...5#.T-LburXwup1

has someone invented a word for technology-induced mental illness yet?
Mobile computing device... Does that include an e-ink ereader? Because I can go on holiday without any mobile computing device without trouble, but I must bring my ereader... I just can't live without my books...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
alishajordan
Eclectic Collector
alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, PC, & Kindle Cloud
I've a friend who, when her CHILD wandered off in the mall, shrugged and said he would turn up when it was time to go. But when she couldn't find her phone, practically stripped naked in the middle of the concourse searching her clothes, flipped purse in-side-out, then borrowed mine in a last ditch effort to call hers even though she keeps hers on vibrate and wouldn't be able to hear it in the loud mall (especially with the gawkers we now had).

Her son answered, btw. He took the phone to play a game in the car and had put it in his cargo pants. I love that kid.
alishajordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
morantis
Zealot
morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have my credit card info and a variety of things of that nature in my phone. Not referring to a security issue, as I have apps that lock the phone up when it gets too far away from me. I am simply thinking that not too long into the future, a mobile device may replace ID and everything else.
morantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
not to be a jerk but yea id stress more if my Samsung Galaxy S 2 is lost than my wedding ring why? well my wedding ring is insured and not all that "unique" but my phone could be used to rack up large amounts of charges or used to facilitate theft of my identity. on the otherhand a lost wedding ring has no chance of a finder racking up charges on me or stealing my identity. all they have ... wait for it ... a piece of jewelry!
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice to see some parents have their priorities well sorted out.
Shame on her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alishajordan View Post
I've a friend who, when her CHILD wandered off in the mall, shrugged and said he would turn up when it was time to go. But when she couldn't find her phone, practically stripped naked in the middle of the concourse searching her clothes, flipped purse in-side-out, then borrowed mine in a last ditch effort to call hers even though she keeps hers on vibrate and wouldn't be able to hear it in the loud mall (especially with the gawkers we now had).
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
My wedding ring is more important than the phone. It cost my husband $25 on our first date. It's a stainless steel puzzle ring with a little flower engraved in the center and it means the world to me. The phone can be replaced. I don't have enough money or good enough credit to be concerned with identity theft, they wouldn't get enough gas to get down the street with my bank info. My ring has seen me through 7 years of ups and downs (way, way down sometimes) with my husband and I consider it irreplaceable and priceless. It represents my love for him and the life we've built together.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
"Child" covers quite a wide range of ages. If a very young child wanders off in the mall, it's a serious matter, if an older child, it may be more of an annoyance.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Oh, I'm sure that if I lost both my phone or Kindle AND my ring.... I'd scour the area looking for the ring.

My pint-sized better half would go nuclear if I didn't have my ring.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I've been wondering for hours what disturbed me about this thread, and it just hit me...........

When my husband passed, I took his wedding band off his finger and put it on mine........yes, its a little loose, but the band underneath holds it well.

Trust me........I'd lose my life before I let someone take it from me. Thats how much it means to me now.

The thought that losing a mechanical device is more important than losing a wedding ring is just sad to me.

More than just a symbol, its representative of the committment and love I held for him.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I don't know which I would stress out more over. I could make new wedding rings if I needed to, (and I even have some of the same gold left, because we saved the sprue). I could replace a Kindle or even (gulp) an iPad if necessary, and everything is backed up. The cell phone would be no big deal--it's pay-go so someone could steal 150 minutes, which would be annoying, but they can't steal anything more.

But expecting to have the magic book to read and then not having it--expecting to have the cell phone capability and then not having it--that would be stressful. Like if you twisted your ankle while traveling. It's not that it won't get better, it's that you really needed that leg *now* darn it.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Been wondering something.
Married people, please tell me, is it okay to keep one's wedding ring around one's neck on a necklace ? Kind of like Frodo did with the one ring in the Lord of the Rings story.
I mean is that appropriate ? Because I've been thinking of the practical advantages: Not to have the bother in one's finger if one is not used to wear stuff there, not risking losing it somehow, ring always with you which in the end stays in line with the symbolism of having the ring ...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Been wondering something.
Married people, please tell me, is it okay to keep one's wedding ring around one's neck on a necklace ? Kind of like Frodo did with the one ring in the Lord of the Rings story.
I mean is that appropriate ? Because I've been thinking of the practical advantages: Not to have the bother in one's finger if one is not used to wear stuff there, not risking losing it somehow, ring always with you which in the end stays in line with the symbolism of having the ring ...
The only person who has to agree is your spouse.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote