Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Can't convert a certain book

I have a pdf book and wanted to put on my kindle as mobi. When I convert to mobi I get it all correct till the actual story. It isn't added. So I get a cover, metadata, some first and last pages (no story itself)

I tried converting to epub and get this:

Looking for large trees in index.html...
Found large tree #0
Splitting...
Split point: {http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml}p /*/*[1518]
Split tree still too large: 397 KB
Splitting...
Split point: {http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml}p /*/*[1517]

and so on and so on. After 20 minutes I gave up.
Tried a bunch of other formats and nothing worked. I get the book without the story.

Any idea how to fix it? Why this happens? I don't have this problem with other books.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
PDF conversion is a minefield. Try using Mobipocket Creator. Free download at http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ilscreator.asp. I've had luck with using that for more problematic PDFs. Results aren't always perfect, but I haven't yet found a PDF conversion process that always gets it right. Plus it leaves the HTML files in the book folder, making it easy to pop it into Sigil for additional cleanup, or further operations in calibre.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

I just found the solution. You just need to increase split size in output for epub. It works now.

I wonder what split size affects. Why keep it at 260kb? Is it ok if I leave it at 800 or will it have some negative effect?

But still I managed to get epub, but mobi still gives me nothing.
I even added the created epub to library as new book and tried converting to mobi and still nothing.

Last edited by Noughty; 02-19-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
I have a pdf book and wanted to put on my kindle as mobi. When I convert to mobi I get it all correct till the actual story. It isn't added. So I get a cover, metadata, some first and last pages (no story itself)

I tried converting to epub and get this:

Looking for large trees in index.html...
Found large tree #0
Splitting...
Split point: {http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml}p /*/*[1518]
Splitting...
Split point: {http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml}p /*/*[1517]

and so on and so on. After 20 minutes I gave up.
Tried a bunch of other formats and nothing worked. I get the book without the story.

Any idea how to fix it? Why this happens? I don't have this problem with other books.
Yes

As it said, it can't figure out where to split .

I have done a 2 pass conversion.
First TEMPORARILY raise the the EPUB output split option from 260K to 400K (you can do this on the conversion screen)
Now convert to EPUB
If that flies, do an EPUB to EPUB conversion Setting the size BACK TO 260K
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Noughty
Addict

ok, trying that.

I tried with 800 and it worked, but it failed to convert to epub from that again. Tried 400 but it's not big enough. Will have to try the lowest number possible

How long should I let it to try to split? Or is it ok to try again after a few failed splits?

Last edited by Noughty; 02-19-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Noughty
Addict

I managed to convert to epub on 450 I think, but can't convert it again with lower size.

Any ideas?

Why do I need to convert it with 260kb? If I succeed I will be able to convert to mobi? Since i still can't

Converted at 400 to epub. Failed to convert to epub again using lower settings. Succeeded in converting to lit. Still can't convert to mobi. Why is mobi so special?

Got bored and just copy pasted text into txt file and converted it to mobi. Worked fine.

oh, come on... All quotation marks disappeared. I can see them in txt file, but if I try to convert and go to search and replace there are no quotation marks. How to fix this?

Couldn't replace bad quotation marks in word, but managed in txt file.

Took an hour but managed to get a normal mobi file. It didn't like format of " and '.

Last edited by Noughty; 02-19-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
I managed to convert to epub on 450 I think, but can't convert it again with lower size.

Any ideas?

Why do I need to convert it with 260kb? If I succeed I will be able to convert to mobi? Since i still can't

Converted at 400 to epub. Failed to convert to epub again using lower settings. Succeeded in converting to lit. Still can't convert to mobi. Why is mobi so special?

Got bored and just copy pasted text into txt file and converted it to mobi. Worked fine.

oh, come on... All quotation marks disappeared. I can see them in txt file, but if I try to convert and go to search and replace there are no quotation marks. How to fix this?

Couldn't replace bad quotation marks in word, but managed in txt file.

Took an hour but managed to get a normal mobi file. It didn't like format of " and '.
Quotation marks are usually the wrong codepage or not specified.
CP1252 is a common one I run into
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote