Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #31
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
What? Why piracy?
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #32
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
What? Why piracy?
Theft is often referred to as "the five finger discount."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Do you read your own books very often so that you don't come across words you don't know?
(Looking for that "reverse karma" button...)

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 02-17-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #33
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
What? Why piracy?
Haven't you ever heard of "the 5 finger discount?" It is a nice way of saying that you stole something. So my initial reaction of the 5 finger rule was a variation of the 5 finger discount.

EDIT: beaten to the punch by Steven
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #34
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Yeah, I thought the punch line was going to be, "The best rule is the five finger discount" haha
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #35
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I apologize. But only that there is no reverse karma button. Here have some karma to make up for it. How could I pass that up.

I would like thank you for the books you signed for me. Made my day plus makes me feel special.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #36
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Haven't you ever heard of "the 5 finger discount?" It is a nice way of saying that you stole something. So my initial reaction of the 5 finger rule was a variation of the 5 finger discount.

EDIT: beaten to the punch by Steven
Didn't know that. Got it now
Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #37
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Theft is often referred to as "the five finger discount."

Never heard that before. Why is it called that?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #38
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
I think, this 5 finger rule is intended only to be applied when reading a book in foreign language.
In that case I never would have read a single English book.
You won't get better as long as you don't try.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #39
AlexGrama
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
It's obvious. You have five fingers good enough to steal with.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #40
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
At least he did not post the Middle Finger Rule.
Although I could use that one for ostrich like book publishers.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #41
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Quote:
It's obvious. You have five fingers good enough to steal with.
For me, it specifically refers to a specific type of theft: shoplifting.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #42
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I think if we obey this nonsense rule we skip the most awesome books.
This, so very much.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #43
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Count me in as another person who thought the punchline would be 'five finger discount'.

My school librarian gave me the five finger spiel when I was in elementary school because she thought that I was taking out books that were far above my reading level. It annoyed the crap out of me. Oh ye of little faith! I never understood why I wasn't encouraged to read whatever I liked. I likely became a great reader in elementary school because I never minded for any reading levels and read what I thought would be interesting, starting from kindergarten; the harder a book was, the more I was determined to read it.

Last edited by Latinandgreek; 02-17-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #44
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Count me in as another one who constantly heard, "Oh that one is a little advanced for you dear, perhaps you'd like this one instead?"

Seriously? Kids are more astute and capable than we give them credit for. Sure there were some books that may have been a bit trudgy for me, but give me the right to try it out, eh? Some books people were amazed that I read, and liked.

I think the difference was, I filtered out all the people who gasped that that one was too hard, or boring, or whatnot. I do the same for my children. We homeschooled for a little while, (they all go to school now though) and during those years, people would sometimes amazed in wonderment that I could "get them to learn" or teach them that learning is fun.

Who had to teach them? It already is fun. They just had fewer people who could run interference and say oooo that is too hard.

Same for reading. It's fun and it's not hard. It's a gateway to the world. I learn all kinds of new words and terms daily, just reading stuff on line and in books.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #45
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
they use this guideline(not rule) in my son's elementary school for kinder and 1st graders. it helps the children choose reading level appropriate books while in the library. its not a hard and fast rule and its not meant to be used/applied by anyone much older than that let alone adults
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote