Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
Zero_Ego
Zero_Ego began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi (N647), Mini
Factory Reset Loop.

**ISSUE SOLVED**

Hi,

*FRL Factory Reset Loop.*

My Kobo Mini was having some charging problems, and thought I would try a Factory Reset. (before possibly replacing the battery.)

Running on Software Version 3.19.5761, it just went into a *FRL.

Would anyone know how to pull the Kobo Mini out of a FRL or are my only options, to open the unit up and re-write the FW?

I am completely new at flashing Kobo firmware, so still learning.

Given that the unit just boots into a FRL, am I correct in thinking that there would be no real point in making an imagine of the current uSD card. (I would be just copying the software loop, is that correct?)

Thank you in advance.

All comments helpful.

Last edited by Zero_Ego; 06-10-2019 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Typos
Zero_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
Zero_Ego

Many hours later......

Issue has been solved. Had to re-write FM Image.

Then download the Kobo Windows software so I could launch back into the unit.

What a painful process. Lesson learned. Don't hit factory reset, you may regret it.
Advert
Old 06-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Part of this is because Kobo dropped most of the support for the Mini earlier in the year. It will no longer update over WiFi. If you do a factory reset, you will need to use the desktop application to do the setup. That should also install firmware 3.19.5761 which was released for the Mini as part of dropping the support.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:25 AM   #4
Zero_Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Part of this is because Kobo dropped most of the support for the Mini earlier in the year. It will no longer update over WiFi. If you do a factory reset, you will need to use the desktop application to do the setup. That should also install firmware 3.19.5761 which was released for the Mini as part of dropping the support.
davidfor, firstly thank you for the FW for my Kobo Mini. Without it, I would never have been able to recover my KM.

davidfor, you are correct, it will not connect over wifi. Therefore, the user must download the official Kobo deskop application to complete the update to fireware 3.19.5761. (This is a painfully slow process)

If Kobo completely drops support for the KM in the official destop application, it will be the end of the Kobo Mini. How else will you get fireware 3.19.5761 back onto the unit?

Would it not make sense, for the whole community of Kobo Mini users, to make a 'clean image' copy of the uSD, once all updates have been performed?

In other words, reset, perform ALL updates via official application, then make a new image of the uSD card. This new image would be a clean FW Image, containing all the necessary updates, thus bypassing the need to connect to the official Kobo desktop application.

Will this work?

I have ordered some new uSD cards and will be able to answer this myself. If successful, I will unofficially share the new clean FW image to this community.

Stay posted.

P.S If there are errors in this post due to a lack of knowledge, please enlighten, educate or eradicate.

P.S.S How's the weather in Sydney? It is quite chilly in Melbourne.

Last edited by Zero_Ego; 06-10-2019 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Creating an image like that is a good idea, and, there is no reason not to do it. But, it doesn't completely solve the issue of a factory reset. The factory reset restores the original firmware from the recovery partition. Unless this is also updated, after a factory reset, a Mini will start with a much older firmware version.

But, at the moment you don't need to use the Kobo desktop application. The appropriate firmware version can be downloaded and manually installed. I usually mention this when posting a message like the one above. If you download and keep a copy of that, you should always be able to restore it. Plus, while Kobo do not officially support the Mini with more recent firmware, they do work. A lot of people are upgrading the Mini to these firmware versions manually with no issues.

Also, I don't see Kobo dropping support for the Mini in the desktop application any time soon. Based on their past behaviour, they are very slow at doing things like this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert