Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #106
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
but if people are working on a 24-hour schedule (in shifts, of course), Dolly would be singing 00 to 24, not 09 to 17.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Gregorian calendar introduced in 1582.
Roman numerals replaced by Hindu-Arabic numerals over a period spanning approx 1000 A.D. - 1500 A.D.
However, it took centuries for the Gregorian Calendar (GC) to be fully adopted. As an example, due to the differences between the Julian and Gregorian Calendars that George Washington has two dates of birth per Wikipedia:
  • 11 Feb 1731 Old Style
  • 22 Feb 1732 New Style
It's too bad we can't adopt the 13-month calendar (12 months of 28 days, and the last month has 29 days or 30 days in a Leap Year) or a new version of the 12-month calendar (odd months have 30 days, even months have 31 days except for the 12th month [which has 30 days or 31 in Leap Years]). It would be much less confusing that the current calendar.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #107
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
However, it took centuries for the Gregorian Calendar (GC) to be fully adopted.
It's still not been fully adopted; the Orthodox Church still uses the Julian calendar, which is why they celebrate Christmas on 7th Jan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #108
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, do Zulus tell the time in some way that's different to other people?
Having grown up in Zululand I can tell you that Zulu people frequently don't concern themselves too much with time. We all joke when events run hours late and say it's African time. It infuriates the punctual and amuses everyone else.

No daylight saving time for us. Not a huge variation in daylight hours from summer to winter anyway. Every now and again it is proposed and causes mass confusion and anxiety before the idea is once again shelved.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #109
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's still not been fully adopted; the Orthodox Church still uses the Julian calendar, which is why they celebrate Christmas on 7th Jan.
And Jews use the Jewish calendar, which is why we celebrate... Chanukah... on 25 Kisleiv.

Interestingly enough, I believe the first day of Chanukah falls out on December 25 -- not this year, but next year.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:50 PM   #110
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
BBC uses Roman numerals to this day, at the end of I think all programs I've seen.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #111
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
BBC uses Roman numerals to this day, at the end of I think all programs I've seen.
For years in copyright messages, yes. I think that's pretty common.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:33 AM   #112
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I found a way to get my internal clock used to the new time faster (I usually take about 3 months before I'm used to the new time zone...)

Go one time zone to the west the day after the clock changes... Clock changed on Sunday from GMT+2 to GMT+1, and on Monday I was in GMT... By the time I got back home in GMT+1 on Thursday, my internal clock was adjusted to one hour time difference (problem is, the pictures I made on the trip are two hours off, as I forgot to change the clock on my phone camera )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dst, kindle, wifi