Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #106
Bumblebeee
Bumblebeee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thats what I figured. I have a HTC Incredible and I switch on 3G hotspot and connect my kindle to it if I REALLY badly want to download a book instantly.
Bumblebeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #107
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
I received my new Kindle 3G (B006A0A...) on Monday and noticed the well-known rattling sound after about 3 hours of usage. I called Amazon Monday night on their international support hotline (I live in Germany) and asked for a replacement. After a 10-minute call everything was OK and the replacement unit was on its way. This morning (Thursday), UPS handed me my new fixed Kindle - that was just 2.5 days after my complaint. Well done, Amazon!

Some notes about the potential damage this screw may cause: On my way home from work I carried my Kindle upside-down in my jacket. At home I turned it back on, entered my password (which still worked), and after that the Kindle's screen froze. It didn't respond to key presses, the 7-second power slide and even the 30-second one. Worse than that: The power slide's LED wouldn't work too, which I guess is a sign for a severe problem. I had to attach it to the charger, and after a while I was able to reset the device.

I guess that the screw shortened a circuit related to the battery while I carried my Kindle upside-down. Would that be possible or is the device sensitive to things like carrying it upside down?
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #108
derrickburns
derrickburns began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have had many, many crashes. So, I took the back cover off of my Kindle 3 and I found 3 screws just bouncing around, THREE. I could not believe this! I screwed the screws back into their proper places, and so far no crashes.

Amazon has already sent me a replacement in the mail, so I won't have take more time to test the unit to see if it crashes.
derrickburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:48 AM   #109
shaunh7
shaunh7 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I recieved my Kindle 3 Wifi on Saturday and I heard rattling on it on the Monday.Around this time it crashed and I did a full reset and got it to work again.
I saw this forum and decided to ring Amazon and the guy said it was the first time he had heard of this problem and told me just to carry on using it as normal. I explained that I'd read it was a common problem but he still insisted he'd heard nothing about it. So the call ended and then he rang me back two minutes later to ask if I had shaken the Kindle or dropped it.I told him I was careful with my gadgets and would not shake or drop it so he then offered me a new one in exchange.
It just seems bizarre that he said he'd never heard of this problem.
shaunh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #110
pathfinder_12
pathfinder_12 began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor, Kindle3
yeah mine rattles as well ... crashed once... now all of the sudden of have a black smudge/dot on my screen in the inside... so they are sending me a new one...
pathfinder_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #111
Heifzilla
Kinzilla
Heifzilla began at the beginning.

Device: KK Wifi/PW Wifi
My Kindle started rattling a few minutes ago. I tried to turn it on and saw something blocking the light on the switch, and then the rattle started. It does sound like either a small screw or a small piece of plastic.

I called CS and they are shipping me another Kindle that should arrive tomorrow. I wonder how much in shipping fees they are wasting due to this issue :/ Hopefully the new one won't have the same issue.

ETA: Mu Kindle just went kaput on me. Won't turn on or anything now. Good thing I called and requested a new one.

Last edited by Heifzilla; 12-29-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Heifzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #112
l..k
Enthusiast
l..k began at the beginning.

Device: k3
I received my K3 this week and I am very disappointed. The moment I unpacked it I was examining it in every details and I spot that it was clearly bearing opening marks and it was even not closed together! Next, I noticed the rattling sound...

I went stright to google and foud this thread. Nonthless I decided to fix it myself, the plastic case was bearing clear opening marks already so I did not care about being accused of opening it if I want replacement. Inside 2 screws was rolling freely and next 3 was loose.

There I have important question for all of you brave to DIY. Did it happened again over time? Is it only manufacturing problem or the build material of the kindle which causes screws looseing over time. I just wonder whether fastening the screws was enough or rather I should put some varnish on the screw before fastening it.

Well anyway if it happen again to me I will tear it open again and use some varnish to glue it forewer
l..k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #113
cynrh
cynrh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by l..k View Post
There I have important question for all of you brave to DIY. Did it happened again over time? Is it only manufacturing problem or the build material of the kindle which causes screws looseing over time. I just wonder whether fastening the screws was enough or rather I should put some varnish on the screw before fastening it.
Hi, I posted on 9/17 about my DIY. My Kindle is still operating fine and rattle-free since (so 5 months now). At least in the case of my Kindle, the problem was that the screws were not fully tightened to begin with, and needed only to be fully tightened down. After I tightened them, I also made sure to test that they would hold by lightly testing the tension in the other (loosey) direction - thats the classic way to determine if a screw/socket has been ruined and isn't going to hold. These held just fine. At least so far! GL
cynrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #114
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
I wonder what the chances of getting a dud are
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #115
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I've got three Kindles: two new ones and one replacement (looked it over but looked brand new). I think most of the times it will be alright.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #116
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
They likelihood should be diminishing. The longer a product has been out, the more streamlined and efficient the production methods become. And if you get a defective one you can always use it as a coaster.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #117
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@desert cool thanks
@spell lol thanks! I think I'll let my uncle shake it around a bit so in case it's defective, he can send it back righ away
Old 02-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #118
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@desert cool thanks
@spell lol thanks! I think I'll let my uncle shake it around a bit so in case it's defective, he can send it back righ away
Are you sure you wouldn't want a kindle coaster? They're very stylish.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #119
wyndslash
Wizard

No thanks too pricey. We don't even use coasters! I just use scratch paper
Old 02-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #120
spellbanisher
Guru

I use priceless works of art as coasters.

Tags
loose, rattling