Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
untiedknot
untiedknot began at the beginning.

Device: none
A verdict on speed reading

I have heard so many mixed opinions on speed reading. Does it work? Do you comprehend anything? Has anyone gone through a program or bought a speed reading product that has worked for them?
untiedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
We've been spammed by a lot of speed-reading sites. As a result I am deeply sceptical of their probably inflated claims.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by untiedknot View Post
I have heard so many mixed opinions on speed reading. Does it work? Do you comprehend anything? Has anyone gone through a program or bought a speed reading product that has worked for them?
Yes it does work but imho most of us "speed readers" are not able to comprehend anything. With speed reading you comprehend the main information of a passage with one view. Most speed readers don't read every character or every word, basically they just "read" some words of a passage with one view and comprehend the information based on similiar "word-patterns" (in case of a continuous text).
Some people seem to be able to comprehend more information with one view than others but i never met a speed-reader who was able to comprehend all details of a text. Usually the average reader is able to read up to 300 words in a minute. A average speed-reader can read between 600 and 1000 words in a minute. Only a few people are able to read faster - and if they do so their eyes are getting tired very soon. Some trainings are indeed promising reading rates of some thousand words per minute - imho this is just bullshit.

I've not gone through a program nor have i bought a "speed reading product" but i'm able to read up to 1000 words in a minute. Maybe some hundred words more for a very short time if i would really try it. Imho, if one has to read a lot of stuff regulary in very short time then he will become a "speed-reader" (or at least a very good and fast reader) automatically.

If you want learn speed-reading please keep one thing in mind: It isn't that useful as it seems to be. Speed-Reading poetry and fiction isn't much fun because it affects the power of imagination negatively (you just don't have enough time to use your imagination while reading) and speed-reading technical books isn't possible without missing some (mostly important) details.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia.
Woody Allen
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
When I was in grad school the university sponsored a free speed reading course (the same one the former US President John Kennedy was said to have taken.)

For it to work you simply turn your brain off and allow a raw data feed of the main words on the page to go into your head. Analysis and understanding are delayed until later (if ever.)

There was no joy reading this way for me. For business school cases it was also a disaster. I remember I read a 40 page case about Citibank and thought it had something to do with check processing and money. All but one in my group went back to their old reading ways after the course. The one that stayed with it flunked out after the first term.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
untiedknot
untiedknot began at the beginning.

Device: none
this is pretty much what I was thinking, that you won't retain much. Good Woody Allen quote
untiedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Any kind of richness or imagery or subtlety in the text is totally lost with speed reading. It's like chugging a milkshake --- you lose the flavor and gain nothing but a headache.

Speed reading is the antithesis of reading enjoyment. It should be "vtterly criyt done and nocht vsyt."
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by untiedknot View Post
try a program for Rapid Serial Visual Presentation
I was very surprised how fast I can go with the help of some of those programs.

RSVP was developed for use on a small handheld screen.
If somebody developed an RSVP program for iPhone you could very soon be reading at 1000 words per minute on such an unbelievably small screen.

I can not however imagine SUSTAINED read at that breackneck speed for hours. This is, because the computer keeps the speed and if you want to rest your eyes for a moment or think about something you have to stop or slow down the program manually. I think I would be very very tired after reading a text of significant length.

I have I friend (very, VERY smart one) that can read a thick [paper] book in 2 hours. He reads entire line of text at one glance. It is extremely important that the book is very well typographically laid out. The font must be serif because that helps the eye to visually connect the words. When he was younger he would read for pleasure several books a day this way. Nowdays he uses this skill very seldom, he says. It is quite demanding.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
drnos
drnos began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I consider a good book to be a conversation. Why do I want to hurry the conversation?
drnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
wow d00d! welcome to the forums! you might want to catch up a bit! ;o)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:16 AM   #11
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
There was no joy reading this way for me. For business school cases it was also a disaster. I remember I read a 40 page case about Citibank and thought it had something to do with check processing and money. All but one in my group went back to their old reading ways after the course. The one that stayed with it flunked out after the first term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Imho, if one has to read a lot of stuff regulary in very short time then he will become a "speed-reader" (or at least a very good and fast reader) automatically.

If you want learn speed-reading please keep one thing in mind: It isn't that useful as it seems to be. Speed-Reading poetry and fiction isn't much fun because it affects the power of imagination negatively (you just don't have enough time to use your imagination while reading) and speed-reading technical books isn't possible without missing some (mostly important) details.
I've been thinking about picking up the speed of my reading and had taken speed reading courses in the past, but like you both said, although I remembered a lot, there was also a lot that I felt was missing after I finished a book. It just wasn't the same. I had always assumed I needed to practice it more, but now I realise that it with speed, I'll pay in enjoyment, and probably comprehension and/or feeling as well.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:36 AM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've always been a fast reader, merely because I like to read and I am always reading. I can't imagine taking a week to read a single book, unless it's highly information-intensive and a zillion pages. But I've always viewed speed reading courses with abhorrence. I want to enjoy what I read, to appreciate a good turn of phrase, to pick up a clue, to take pleasure in the nuances. I don't want the meat without the potatoes.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
try a program for Rapid Serial Visual Presentation
I was very surprised how fast I can go with the help of some of those programs.

RSVP was developed for use on a small handheld screen.
If somebody developed an RSVP program for iPhone you could very soon be reading at 1000 words per minute on such an unbelievably small screen.
I checked it out and put Spreed on my tool bar. All I can say is, "Wow". I would love this for my Droid X. Sometimes I'll try to sit and read but keep losing focus. Other times I'm totally emersed right away. I've noticed that RSVP keeps me perfectly engaged and focused right away. I find it surprisingly enjoyable to read this way. I'd want to get it not so much for speed, since that seems to vary on my mood, but for focus. Now... when will I see this on the Android Market?? Hmmm.....
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote