Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Books missing on Glowlight 3

I haven't paid a lot of attention to my Glowlight 3 for a while. When I got it I put some books on it and I've read some of those but I haven't really tried playing with it in any way since then.

I remember having the problem of books disappearing from it so I gathered 500 epub books, reset the device and copied all the books to the NOOK folder. It told me I had 438 books on board. But when I connected it again to my PC all the books were there.

Next I began going through the books one by one to see if I could find a pattern, and I did! Problem solved!

I realize that since I haven't read this forum in a while this might be old news but I didn't find anything about it with a quick look so I thought i'd report it just in case.

All the books are shown in the listings but multiple books by the same author are shown as a single book and only add one to the total. There's a setting to enable or disable this feature. I disabled it and it showed 500 books. It's working perfectly and probably was from the start, or at least since the last update I did.

Anyway if you already know about this, such is life. If you don't, now you do.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I haven't paid a lot of attention to my Glowlight 3 for a while. When I got it I put some books on it and I've read some of those but I haven't really tried playing with it in any way since then.

I remember having the problem of books disappearing from it so I gathered 500 epub books, reset the device and copied all the books to the NOOK folder. It told me I had 438 books on board. But when I connected it again to my PC all the books were there.

Next I began going through the books one by one to see if I could find a pattern, and I did! Problem solved!

I realize that since I haven't read this forum in a while this might be old news but I didn't find anything about it with a quick look so I thought i'd report it just in case.

All the books are shown in the listings but multiple books by the same author are shown as a single book and only add one to the total. There's a setting to enable or disable this feature. I disabled it and it showed 500 books. It's working perfectly and probably was from the start, or at least since the last update I did.

Anyway if you already know about this, such is life. If you don't, now you do.

Barry
Hey Barry, thanks for the post! I just loaded some books on my new Glowlight Plus last night. It was late, so I don't know if they're all there or not. The setting you mentioned, where is it?

I have a Glowlight 3, but I'm not the primary user, so I haven't messed with it much.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In settings under Library the last option is "When sorting by author". That's the one that decides if it stacks each author. Personally I think I like the stacking but it does throw the total off.

Barry
Old 11-19-2018, 10:24 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In settings under Library the last option is "When sorting by author". That's the one that decides if it stacks each author. Personally I think I like the stacking but it does throw the total off.

Barry
Got it. Thank you!

I wish I could get the Nook to recognize series on sideloaded books like Kobo does. I'm not a big series reader, but it occasionally does come in handy.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
barryem
Wizard

I don't worry much about series but there are those I do read, such as the Rabbi Small series and the 87th Precinct series. I copies and pasted lists of these from FantasticFiction.co.uk into Google Docs and saved a .doc file and emailed that to my library at Amazon and got back a list in series order. When I read one I highlight it and I always know what the next book is.

Barry
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hey Barry, thanks for the post! I just loaded some books on my new Glowlight Plus last night. ...
So you finally got one. I wouldn't mind seeing a short "review" about the Glowlight Plus. I'm curious to see what you think of it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
barryem
Wizard

I like the Glowlight 3 but I don't care much for the Glowlight Plus. It's screen is good but there's a capacative Home button that I always seem to manage to touch while reading and it takes me out of the book into the Home screen. That has to be the dumbest idea in the history of technology. Every time it happens, and it happens more than a little bit, I get irritated and that gets me out of the mood for reading.

It's other problem, also a very dumb "feature" is that the dictionary definitions and the table of contents are in light grey text making them very difficult to read. The Glowlight 3, unfortunately, shares that problem.

The Glowlight Plus screen is about as good as a Kindle screen. It's feature set is good enough. If it wasn't for that Home button I'd have used it a lot more. As it is I've only used it occasionally. It's mostly for loaning books.

I did try covering the Home button but then there's no way to navigate.

The Glowlight 3 has easily the best screen of any ereader I've used. It has better contrast than any of the others. It also has page turn buttons, which I don't really care about since I'm used to swiping. The Home button is a real button again so that problem is gone and it's a pretty nice device.

I do most of my reading on Kindles because of the feature set and user interface and, of course, because of Amazon. I also have Kobos. I think the Glowlight 3, all in all, is my second choice after the Kindle. They're all good devices for reading, though.

Barry
Old 11-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I don't worry much about series but there are those I do read, such as the Rabbi Small series and the 87th Precinct series. I copies and pasted lists of these from FantasticFiction.co.uk into Google Docs and saved a .doc file and emailed that to my library at Amazon and got back a list in series order. When I read one I highlight it and I always know what the next book is.

Barry
Barry,

The 87th Precinct is one series I was planning on starting! I picked up the first one or two on sale.

Unimportant, but a neat coincidence.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So you finally got one. I wouldn't mind seeing a short "review" about the Glowlight Plus. I'm curious to see what you think of it.
Physically, the Glowlight Plus is great. Nooks since the ST have better hardware designs than their competitors. I didn't have an opinion of the white pebbled bezels when I saw it in the store, but it's very nice in the hand. The screen/light is fantastic. I had the problem with the capacitive Nook Home button that Barry mentioned a couple of times, but I bought a nice, slim Fintie case (this one) that alleviated it.

In general, I think the Nook does a good job with the information displayed on the header and footer in book without eating up too much screen real estate. But the rest of the software is a mess.

Their biggest mistake was replacing the 'current read' button in the top left corner with a profile icon. That profile seems completely worthless. It used to be when I was three menus deep in the settings, you could hit that upper left corner and go back to your book. Now you have to hit the Home button to and get back to your book from there. And as mentioned, it's not like the profile adds any sort of value to the owner.

It's also slow as molasses when not in a book and I miss the job Kobo does on the library using imported Calibre details (like series and ease of creating collections).

I only read one book at a time and tend to know what I'm going to read next, so these losses aren't major. But that's me. I'd see this being a major turn off for some.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard

Quote:
Barry,

The 87th Precinct is one series I was planning on starting! I picked up the first one or two on sale.

Unimportant, but a neat coincidence.
If you or anyone wants my list of the 87th Precinct books I have it in mobi format and I'll be glad to share it. Let me know.

I just double checked to make sure I still have it and I do but now it also has the Travis McGee books and the Perry Mason books listed as well. So if you choose to get it I guess you'll just have to read those too.

Barry
Old 11-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard

I use the same cover and it hasn't helped me. I still find myself going back home all the time.

I have to agree that for simply reading a book this thing is excellent. The screen is good. It's comfortable to hold after the couple of minutes it takes the metal case to warm up. It's always cold when I first pick it up but the case does help that.

As long as I'm reading and I can avoid that *(&^*^ home button it's really good. As soon as I try to do anything else the sadism of it's designers makes itself known.

The really sad thing is how near a miss this is. It could have been a perfect device with just a little more thought.

Barry
Old 11-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I use the same cover and it hasn't helped me. I still find myself going back home all the time.

I have to agree that for simply reading a book this thing is excellent. The screen is good. It's comfortable to hold after the couple of minutes it takes the metal case to warm up. It's always cold when I first pick it up but the case does help that.

As long as I'm reading and I can avoid that *(&^*^ home button it's really good.
I must hold the Nook just differently enough to avoid the home button. I've only had the case for a week, so it could be that I'm being overly optimistic based on the little evidence I actually have

Quote:
As soon as I try to do anything else the sadism of it's designers makes itself known.

The really sad thing is how near a miss this is. It could have been a perfect device with just a little more thought.

Barry
I feel like that's true for both the Glowlight Plus and the Glowlight 3.

Physically, the Glowlight Plus is superior to the competing Paperwhite 3 (aside from the home button issue).

And the Glowlight 3 is a nicer reader than its closest match, the Clara HD (no light bleed issues with the Glowlight).

But the software is just so crummy. I only read one book at a time and I tend to already know what book I'll likely read next. But if I didn't, having to sort through the library on the device to find something could be an exercise in frustration.

And the recent update replacing the current read button with the profile button only makes the bad software situation a little worse. That currently reading button was one unique, quirky feature that stood out on Nooks and make it feel like the one-purpose device it's intended to be.

Depending on the person, I wouldn't advise them to avoid the Nooks. My profile shows I've bought them all but the first Glowlight.

But be aware that the device has issues. Issues that likely won't be fixed unless the hacker community decides to do something about it and they seem more focused on Kobo.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I only read one book at a time and tend to know what I'm going to read next, so these losses aren't major. But that's me. I'd see this being a major turn off for some.
Thanks. I'm not much for putting a lot of books on a reader or worrying about organization, so (since the screen is good) this may be a direction I'll look for a lighted reader. I'm glad the NST still has the "current read" button, however. Why would they get rid of that?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Thanks. I'm not much for putting a lot of books on a reader or worrying about organization, so (since the screen is good) this may be a direction I'll look for a lighted reader.
Yeah, as mentioned, for just reading the Glowlight Plus and Glowlight 3 are very nice devices. The Plus is waterproof, the 3 has buttons and more storage. both have nice screens.

Quote:
I'm glad the NST still has the "current read" button, however. Why would they get rid of that?
Looking at pictures from when it was new, the Glowlight Plus originally had the 'current read' button too. But they updated it to share the same firmware as the 3. Normally, that would be good, but in this case, if I could easily access the older firmware, I'd install it.

The open book icon at the bottom center of the screen is the same as current read, but it disappears when you aren't on the home screen. The profile button is always there. You're supposed to use it if the device is shared. But how many people do that? It would have been smarter to put profiles at the bottom and leave the current read button.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #15
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I like my glowlight 3 but never use it. I am slowly overtime repurchasing my books on kindle or kobo
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote