Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2018, 04:16 AM   #1
flyx
flyx began at the beginning.

Device: Boyou T80
Exclamation How install dictionary on Boyue likebook ?

Default dictionary is empty and it seems need database , But i dunno what folder i have to move data and in what format
plz guide me , Thanks
flyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur holds these truths to be self-evident.orebmur holds these truths to be self-evident.orebmur holds these truths to be self-evident.orebmur holds these truths to be self-evident.orebmur holds these truths to be self-evident.orebmur holds these truths to be self-evident.orebmur holds these truths to be self-evident.orebmur holds these truths to be self-evident.orebmur holds these truths to be self-evident.orebmur holds these truths to be self-evident.orebmur holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox i86ML Plus, Boyue Likebook Note
If it is a Likebook Note we are talking about, then there is no way to get rid and/or replace the built in English/Chinese dictionary. I had to resort installing Goldendict in order to use other dictionaries. Unfortunately, while Goldendict is much more versatile and useful as a standalone dictionary application, it doesn't integrate well with other applications. I use Librera as my main reading software as the built in one is a bit limited.

Boyue promised in a private conversation to fix the dictionary integration at the end of the month. That's what they told me in August. Now we are in mid October and nothing happened until i checked last yesterday.

I'd wish Boyue just put the source code of their software on github so we could fix such limitations ourselves.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
blue_skies
Addict
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyx View Post
Default dictionary is empty and it seems need database , But i dunno what folder i have to move data and in what format
plz guide me , Thanks
I have a different Boyue model and I struggled with the same issue. Perhaps this thread will be helpful. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...01#post3668301 The solution I found has worked for other eReaders.

Good luck!
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:47 AM   #4
aduffbrew
aduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue LikeBook Plus T80S
Ha. This isn’t your fault. It’s Boyue’s. Great hardware but their software is awful. I’m assuming you have a Likebook Plus running the original firmware or one of its supported updates (not the beta version 2). These instructions will allow you to use the included eReader and included dictionary app together.

1. Download a Stardict compatible dictionary from anywhere.

I used the Webster’s from here: http://download.huzheng.org/dict.org/ My Likebook Plus saved the file under /Download (technically /Sdcard/Download depending on which file manager you use). Why there is also a /Downloads directory, I don’t know.

2. Unpack the dictionary file.

More than likely, the dictionary download is in a compressed format. In my case, it’s in the tarball format. You’ll need a program to do this. On my Likebook, I just used: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rlab.rar&hl=en. Point it to your file you just downloaded and run it. I just let it extract right in the same directory.

3. Move the dictionary files to /Dict (/Sdcard/Dict). Create the directory if you haven’t already.

In my case, they were comprised of the following:
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.dict.dz
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.idx
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.oft
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.ifo

Don’t ask me what all these files do or if they really are all needed. I just know it works.

4. Add the dictionary to the dictionary app.

Launch the Dictionary app. Select the gear icon in the upper left corner. Under “Dictionary Results”, you see your dictionary. Make sure it’s selected and hit “Save” in the lower left corner.

Should should now be able to type in a work in the search box and get a definition. Also, highlighting a word in the included eReader and invoking the dictionary will also work. (The eReader dictionary does not work in version 2 of the firmware for some reason).

If this doesn’t work, that means something’s off with the app’s cached settings. Clear the cache and re-add the dictionary. You do that by going to Android Settings, Apps, All, Dictionary and select “Clear Data” and “Clear Cache”.

* I just noticed you have the T80 model. I have the T80S. You might have an updated firmware. In which case, you’re out of luck until they update the firmware. Dictionary will still work on its own but the included eReader is locked into English to Chinese as noted in a previous post. If that’s the case, there are several 3rd party eReader apps and dictionaries that work well. We can recommend some if needed.

Last edited by aduffbrew; 10-26-2018 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Added T80 model acknowledgement
aduffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #5
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JS_F is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JS_F is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JS_F is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JS_F is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JS_F is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JS_F is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JS_F is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JS_F is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JS_F is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JS_F is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by aduffbrew View Post
Ha. This isn’t your fault. It’s Boyue’s. Great hardware but their software is awful. I’m assuming you have a Likebook Plus running the original firmware or one of its supported updates (not the beta version 2). These instructions will allow you to use the included eReader and included dictionary app together.

1. Download a Stardict compatible dictionary from anywhere.

I used the Webster’s from here: http://download.huzheng.org/dict.org/ My Likebook Plus saved the file under /Download (technically /Sdcard/Download depending on which file manager you use). Why there is also a /Downloads directory, I don’t know.

2. Unpack the dictionary file.

More than likely, the dictionary download is in a compressed format. In my case, it’s in the tarball format. You’ll need a program to do this. On my Likebook, I just used: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rlab.rar&hl=en. Point it to your file you just downloaded and run it. I just let it extract right in the same directory.

3. Move the dictionary files to /Dict (/Sdcard/Dict). Create the directory if you haven’t already.

In my case, they were comprised of the following:
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.dict.dz
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.idx
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.oft
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.ifo

Don’t ask me what all these files do or if they really are all needed. I just know it works.

4. Add the dictionary to the dictionary app.

Launch the Dictionary app. Select the gear icon in the upper left corner. Under “Dictionary Results”, you see your dictionary. Make sure it’s selected and hit “Save” in the lower left corner.

Should should now be able to type in a work in the search box and get a definition. Also, highlighting a word in the included eReader and invoking the dictionary will also work. (The eReader dictionary does not work in version 2 of the firmware for some reason).

If this doesn’t work, that means something’s off with the app’s cached settings. Clear the cache and re-add the dictionary. You do that by going to Android Settings, Apps, All, Dictionary and select “Clear Data” and “Clear Cache”.

* I just noticed you have the T80 model. I have the T80S. You might have an updated firmware. In which case, you’re out of luck until they update the firmware. Dictionary will still work on its own but the included eReader is locked into English to Chinese as noted in a previous post. If that’s the case, there are several 3rd party eReader apps and dictionaries that work well. We can recommend some if needed.
I think you also need to reboot the device afterwards.
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert