Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #361
fduniho
Enthusiast
fduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle Touch, Fire & DX; Rooted Nook ST; Likebook Mars
I also found an Oxford dictionary and installed that. When I click on a word in the native reading app, it will show the definition from both dictionaries. It will show the Oxford definition at the top, and it will show the Webster's definition below it. I normally have to scroll it to read the Webster's definition. The Dictionary app will let me pick which dictionary to see the definition from. Both have the defect that they are showing markup text and HTML entities in the definitions. While some of it looks like HTML, there are also tags I don't recognize, such as k and c.

Before trying the Oxford dictionary, I tried a main English English dictionary, but it didn't work out.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #362
fduniho
Enthusiast
fduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the roughfduniho is a jewel in the rough

As a test, I loaded a book I've been reading with Moon+Reader into the native reading app. It made formatting mistakes, such as running words together and putting spaces before periods and commas. Although I had seen mistakes like these in the sample books, I thought they might be mistakes in the books themselves. Since these problems seemed to be a consequence of how it handles full justification, I looked for an option to use left justification instead, but I could not find one. This book was from Feedbooks, and besides the formatting mistakes, it did not draw a box around the chapter number like I usually see in books from this source. So, this reading app needs more work before it will become useful for English readers. In the meantime, I will stick to Moon+Reader.

I did install a few more dictionaries. I installed a French to English dictionary, a Latin to English dictionary, and a couple German to English dictionaries. The French one worked for the word chat, the Latin one for the word cogito, and the German ones for the word schnell. When I deleted one of the German ones, it stopped working for schnell, but when I reinstalled it, they both worked for schnell. According to the Setting page for the Dictionary app, the other ones I've installed are Merriam-Webster's Collegiate and English explanatory dictionary (main), but these two have never come up with definitions in the tests I've run.

I tested how current the Oxford Dictionary is by entering computer terms. It has up-to-date definitions for terms like computer, database, download, drive, and monitor, though it lacks definitions for ebook, internet, and upload, and its definitions for stream, tablet, and web do not include anything computer related. Naturally, Webster's 1913 Dictionary is too old to have any computer-related definitions.
Advert
Old 11-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #363
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
To get left justification just uncheck justified alignment.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #364
fduniho
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
To get left justification just uncheck justified alignment.
I don't see any option for that in the default reading app for the Likebook Mars. Where do you see this option?
Old 11-21-2018, 01:16 AM   #365
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fduniho View Post
I don't see any option for that in the default reading app for the Likebook Mars. Where do you see this option?
Oh sorry, I thought you were asking about MoonReader.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #366
enekomh
enekomh began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
I'm guessing no further improvements to the massive battery consumption when wifi is on have been introduced with these new patches, right?
enekomh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #367
franzli
Zealot
franzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toys

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
The update still won't work if you have adapted storage, which is a but annoying. Considering this seems to be a minor update and I'm not using the stock reading app anyway, I guess I'll wait until the next update before I go through the hassle of deleting everything on my drive and then set up syncthing yet another time and wait for the folders to sync up..
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #368
ivanvt
ivanvt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Likebook Mars
Quote:
I also found an Oxford dictionary and installed that. When I click on a word in the native reading app, it will show the definition from both dictionaries. It will show the Oxford definition at the top, and it will show the Webster's definition below it. I normally have to scroll it to read the Webster's definition. The Dictionary app will let me pick which dictionary to see the definition from. Both have the defect that they are showing markup text and HTML entities in the definitions. While some of it looks like HTML, there are also tags I don't recognize, such as k and c.

Before trying the Oxford dictionary, I tried a main English English dictionary, but it didn't work out.
Where did you find the dictionary file?
ivanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #369
fduniho
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanvt View Post
Where did you find the dictionary file?
I found the Oxford dictionary files at https://sourceforge.net/projects/xdx...r.bz2/download

This is in the 002b folder of the link I originally gave.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #370
trence
trence began at the beginning.

Question for all you other Mars owners, what Ebook app do you use? I like Moon+, but the blink its does for anti-aliasing on each page annoys me. I have found Ereader Prestigio to seem to be able to AA much faster than Moon+.
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #371
fduniho
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trence View Post
Question for all you other Mars owners, what Ebook app do you use? I like Moon+, but the blink its does for anti-aliasing on each page annoys me. I have found Ereader Prestigio to seem to be able to AA much faster than Moon+.
When I have a choice, I use Moon+Reader Pro. I have anti aliasing selected, but I have not noticed any annoying blink when turning pages. I find the page turn transition to be seamless, and that's one of the things I like about it. It may be less seamless if A2 mode is not selected, though. I have not tried Ereader Prestigio, since I have not heard of it before.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #372
fduniho
Enthusiast

I use an app called AppSales, which informs me of apps that are on sale in Google Play. Today, I picked up Rotation Control Pro for free. From the description, it didn't seem like it would be any better than Smart Rotate, which I had been using. But I checked it out in case it had the one feature Smart Rotate was missing, and it did have it. Unlike Smart Rotate, Rotation Control Pro remembers the orientation I last had selected, and it puts my Likebook Mars in that orientation whenever I turn it on. Because of how I prefer to hold the case, and because I like having the power button, audio port, and usb on top, I prefer to use it in reverse portrait orientation. With Rotation Control Pro, I can now have it automatically go into reverse portrait orientation whenever I turn it on.

I also went to Amazon today and ordered a 128GB microSD card for use with my Likebook Mars. This capacity is reputed to be the greatest that this device can handle, and even though it might be able to handle more, I don't expect I really need more than that for it. It was on sale today for $19.99, and the sale still has more than 7 hours to go.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #373
trence
trence began at the beginning.

Quote:
When I have a choice, I use Moon+Reader Pro. I have anti aliasing selected, but I have not noticed any annoying blink when turning pages. I find the page turn transition to be seamless, and that's one of the things I like about it. It may be less seamless if A2 mode is not selected, though. I have not tried Ereader Prestigio, since I have not heard of it before.
Interesting, I will have to try this. I was under the impression that A2 mode wasn't best for e-reading, as it lowered the resolution somewhat. Is that not the case?

Yeah I went to the Play Store and tried multiple programs, found it to be my favorite.
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:15 PM   #374
fduniho
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trence View Post
Interesting, I will have to try this. I was under the impression that A2 mode wasn't best for e-reading, as it lowered the resolution somewhat. Is that not the case?
A2 mode makes animations and transitions smoother. I find it especially helps with page turns and with typing on Hacket's Keyboard. It may sacrifice some detail to do this, but I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in resolution of text.

I just tried Ereader Prestigio and compared it to Moon+Reader. In regular mode, Prestigio
has smoother transitions than Moon+Reader. In A2 mode, Prestigio is basically the same, but Moon+Reader has gotten seamless transitions. In comparison, I think Prestigio's transitions are a little bit jumpy, and I prefer Moon+Reader in A2 mode.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #375
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
A2 mode I use when reading 2 column reading on Moon Reader. The page animations work smooth enough that way but you do take a quality hit which I don't mind for 2 colum e-reading in landscape.

Can someone tell me how to install an english dictionary (I may have missed it in the feed). All I have on mine is Chinese.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote