Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-24-2018, 11:41 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah the manual searching is really bad -- a while back I switched it from the builtin search to using Google, but since the manual is now translated, google is pretty bad at searching it. Perhaps I should switch it back to the builtin search.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #17
lburg801
Enthusiast
lburg801 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs up Thanks folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Yeah, searching the online calibre manual isn't the best thing since sliced bread. For me it always returns more hits in German than English. I think it's part of the Python ecosystem, hence outside of Kovid's control. But at least there is a manual, that gets updated in line with the releases.

tip 1: - for the online version use one word searches e.g. 'backup'
tip 2: - download a PDF, AZW3 or EPUB version and use the search in the appropriate reader. The links for those are on the first page of the manual.

BR
"Backup" is the search term I used before trying other terms when I did not find a link.

Thanks for the tip about the downloadable Help versions. I had missed those entirely.

Calibre is a great program with a wonderful community of supporters. I'm grateful.
lburg801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2018, 06:24 PM   #18
lburg801
Enthusiast

Talking Help with help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah the manual searching is really bad -- a while back I switched it from the builtin search to using Google, but since the manual is now translated, google is pretty bad at searching it. Perhaps I should switch it back to the builtin search.
Perhaps you could add options to the Help icon in the program (download manual, view tutorials, etc.) to head off confusion for newbies like me.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #19
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
queue books for backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre libraries are just files and folders. Back them up however you backup all your other files.
SO what is happening when the queue all books for backup is processing? How am I supposed to know where and what is being backed up?
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
SO what is happening when the queue all books for backup is processing? How am I supposed to know where and what is being backed up?
Export Shows all Libraries (that are on the switch list) for you to choose from.
Then it asks where.
What it doesn't do is Create the destination folder if it does not exist.
Right click in the folder dialog in the location where the folder belongs: New Folder: <Name it>: now select it and let er'rip
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2018, 02:49 AM   #21
lburg801
Enthusiast

What is the purpose of queue all books?

When I select Backup status: it says "Book metadata files remaining to be written: 0" and the options are to "Queue all books for backup" or "Close".

I have not bothered to queue books since I first tried it thinking it was a step in the backup process. What is it for?
Old 11-23-2018, 03:18 AM   #22
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lburg801 View Post
When I select Backup status: it says "Book metadata files remaining to be written: 0" and the options are to "Queue all books for backup" or "Close".

I have not bothered to queue books since I first tried it thinking it was a step in the backup process. What is it for?
It just backs up the book metadata (title, author, series info, tags, comments, custom columns, etc) into individual OPF files inside the book folders/directories. This is done so there's a backup of metadata in case of Calibre database corruption. Note, this does not backup your actual ebook files.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lburg801 View Post

That is ONLY a backup of the CALIBRE shown METADATA. It exists to restore the DB ENTRIES only

If you want a FULL backup (best done to a different hard drive), use Export / Import on the Library icon
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:08 AM   #24
lburg801
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It just backs up the book metadata (title, author, series info, tags, comments, custom columns, etc) into individual OPF files inside the book folders/directories. This is done so there's a backup of metadata in case of Calibre database corruption. Note, this does not backup your actual ebook files.
With help from this group I learned many months ago how to backup and also export my Calibre library but had never again gone through the queue step. I have found it helpful to use Library Maintenance to check the files. It found a few errors that I was able to correct.

Learning the reason for the Library Maintenance options or whether to use them is a bit clearer now. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:16 AM   #25
lburg801
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is ONLY a backup of the CALIBRE shown METADATA. It exists to restore the DB ENTRIES only

If you want a FULL backup (best done to a different hard drive), use Export / Import on the Library icon
I use FreeFileSync to keep my Calibre library backed up to an external hard drive and also backup the config folder. I had not considered using export as a means of backup. I think I will start doing that in addition to the regular backup.

https://mobileread.cdn.speedyrails.n...t/thankyou.gif
Old 04-10-2020, 11:18 PM   #26
CaptainKen
CaptainKen began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 8 (2017 7th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Gasp...why is this not in the manual?
Calibre Library->Library Maintenance->Library metadata backup status->Queue all books for backup
That is ONLY a backup of the CALIBRE shown METADATA. It exists to restore the DB ENTRIES only. If you want a FULL backup (best done to a different hard drive), use Export / Import on the Library icon.
CaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:47 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre User Manual/FAQ/Miscellaneous: How do I backup calibre?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:20 AM   #28
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Also very useful in Windows 10: File History as a backup tool. It is built-in, hence free, and works really well. You can set it to making backups hourly or daily or weekly.....

I also use robocopy (very fast), Cobian Backup, and Syncback free (the last at www.2brightsparks.com). All of them work well.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #29
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
I'm more in search of a sync tool than a backup tool. I'm aware that I can just copy the whole Calibre folder onto a flash drive, but if I only acquire 5-10 new books between backups, I'm essentially re-copying the same 95% of files over and over. Ideally, I'd have something that just does the deltas.

The other rub is that my house is multi-platform, so my main library lives on a Linux laptop, but I've also got a Windows HTPC that serves as a media center (and hence backup #1 for all my stuff), in addition to other external hard-drives for secondary and tertiary backups.

So from Linux -> thumb-drive or Linux -> backup HDD, I can do something like an rsync,
and perhaps from thumb-drive -> Windows HTPC could be SyncToy,

But ideally it would be nice if I could just have my primary Calibre library exported to a thumb-drive, and from there use a built-in option to "sync" the Calibre libraries between source and destination until they're all in sync.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
I'm more in search of a sync tool than a backup tool. I'm aware that I can just copy the whole Calibre folder onto a flash drive, but if I only acquire 5-10 new books between backups, I'm essentially re-copying the same 95% of files over and over. Ideally, I'd have something that just does the deltas.

The other rub is that my house is multi-platform, so my main library lives on a Linux laptop, but I've also got a Windows HTPC that serves as a media center (and hence backup #1 for all my stuff), in addition to other external hard-drives for secondary and tertiary backups.

So from Linux -> thumb-drive or Linux -> backup HDD, I can do something like an rsync,
and perhaps from thumb-drive -> Windows HTPC could be SyncToy,

But ideally it would be nice if I could just have my primary Calibre library exported to a thumb-drive, and from there use a built-in option to "sync" the Calibre libraries between source and destination until they're all in sync.
FreeFileSync works on Windows, Mac and Linux afaik.

Mind, 2-way syncs don't work because then your database probably won't match your library folder.

That said, why not setup SMB shares or something so you can do direct mirrors from Linux to Windows without going through intermediaries?

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-11-2020 at 12:01 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote